Help with front panel

King

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
I was speccing out a future build in the M1 and noticed the revised V6 front io. It all seemed fine until I realised that the Type-E motherboard header (for USB-C) needed was not on my board (MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC). I thought I could then just get a Type-E to USB 3.1 Gen1 adapter (as the motherboard has that header) before realising that the single USB 3.1 connector would be taken up by the 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front IO.

So now I'm stuck. No other AMD B450 motherboards I can see have a Type-E header nor a second USB 3.0/3.1 header. Basically, my question is: Is there any way to fix this problem? Preferably keeping the functionality of both the 2 USB 3.0 ports and the USB-C port.

The only other option I can think of is getting a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 adapter and just limiting the speed of the front USB ports (which is a bit sh*t), then getting a Type-E to 3.1 Gen1 adapter so I can actually use the Type-C at the front...

I appreciate the future-proofing NCASE but next time wait until there are enough boards that support it :\

Thanks for any help,
King

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I appreciate the future-proofing NCASE but next time wait until there are enough boards that support it :\
People have been asking for front panel Type C since it was announced, and for years now I've had to tell them no. The first boards with Type E headers were first shown going on three years ago, and now we have several boards from multiple manufacturers. How much longer should I have waited to give people what they've been asking for? Feels like I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've done my part - it's up to motherboard manufacturers to step up now. Email them to tell them you want Type E headers on new boards.

King

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
People have been asking for front panel Type C since it was announced, and for years now I've had to tell them no. The first boards with Type E headers were first shown going on three years ago, and now we have several boards from multiple manufacturers. How much longer should I have waited to give people what they've been asking for? Feels like I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've done my part - it's up to motherboard manufacturers to step up now. Email them to tell them you want Type E headers on new boards.

Yeah, it's just a shame that there isn't like a temporary front IO option (like the older one before V6 or even something different in place of the Type C) that people can choose if their board doesn't have that option. As you know no AM4 Ryzen chipset mITX boards have Type-E headers at the moment although many have Type C on the back IO anyway and it (front C) just seems a bit of a waste right now :/

I guess we can but wait and hope some manufacturers refresh their boards or something...

King

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
There is one, he just gave you a list of motherboards with type E headers... And one of them is AM4.
Oh crap I honestly didn't see that before! The ASUS boards are generally quite expensive (out of my budget and a bit extra for what I actually want) and I can't even find a price for the Crosshair VIII Impact let alone a purchase page so I can't even buy it at the moment anyway...

It's also an mDTX board not an mITX lol