Advice Help cooling m2 drives - dan a4 - asus z490 I gaming

Shaytanya

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2020
Hi team

Can anyone offer any advice how to cool the M.2 drives on an Asus rog strix z490 I gaming? I have the Dan a4.1 with AIO cooler. One of the m.2 drives is running very hot (88+) the other around 60 and I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas?

Would oc the cpu increase the m2 temps? If so, I will take the oc off. And would uv the cpu reduce temps (not something I have played around with).

Would adding another case fan (the noctua 5000rpm) Make any difference given the shielding? Or should i remove the shielding and get a custom cooler (woukd this help both m2s?)?

Thanks so much!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Hi team

Can anyone offer any advice how to cool the M.2 drives on an Asus rog strix z490 I gaming? I have the Dan a4.1 with AIO cooler. One of the m.2 drives is running very hot (88+) the other around 60 and I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas?

Would oc the cpu increase the m2 temps? If so, I will take the oc off. And would uv the cpu reduce temps (not something I have played around with).

Would adding another case fan (the noctua 5000rpm) Make any difference given the shielding? Or should i remove the shielding and get a custom cooler (woukd this help both m2s?)?

Thanks so much!
The 'shielding' that you refer to is actually heatsink. For most cases, it should do its job without using a 3rd party cooler. But it needs airflow to cool off to dissipate the absorbed heat.
You most certainly should consider adding a small fan. Read the thread below for the idea (where a 92mm and a 40mm Noctua fan is used).

One thing you can do is to remove the side panel and use a desk fan to blow air directly into the case and see if the SSD temp goes down. This is an easy way to confirm if a lack of air flow over the SSD is the culprit.

Also, I suggest double checking the M.2 heatsinks for improper installation. It is possible that the heatsink is not making proper contact (via the thermal pad). I remember reading somewhere that the supplied pad might not be thick enough to make contact with certain M.2 SSDs, thus negating any heat transfer from the M.2 SSD to the heatsink. If that is your case, buy thicker pad and re-apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaytanya

Shaytanya

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2020
Thanks so much - will try this over the weekend. You sir, are a legend, It appears to be a lack of airflow over the SSD so I will look at the 40mm fan option, as the 92mm will not fit over the AIO I have installed.

Neverending heat issues, first the CPU, then the 3080 and now the SSD

Thanks so much

Last edited:

Shaytanya

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2020
The 'shielding' that you refer to is actually heatsink. For most cases, it should do its job without using a 3rd party cooler. But it needs airflow to cool off to dissipate the absorbed heat.
You most certainly should consider adding a small fan. Read the thread below for the idea (where a 92mm and a 40mm Noctua fan is used).

One thing you can do is to remove the side panel and use a desk fan to blow air directly into the case and see if the SSD temp goes down. This is an easy way to confirm if a lack of air flow over the SSD is the culprit.

Also, I suggest double checking the M.2 heatsinks for improper installation. It is possible that the heatsink is not making proper contact (via the thermal pad). I remember reading somewhere that the supplied pad might not be thick enough to make contact with certain M.2 SSDs, thus negating any heat transfer from the M.2 SSD to the heatsink. If that is your case, buy thicker pad and re-apply.

Just installed a 40mm fan over the m2 ssd and its worked a treat - thanks so much