hdplex 300w and dell psu help

byelevi

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 14, 2020
hello guys. i got a problem as you can see from the photos below. my pc won't turn on.
i believe it's due to the connection between my dell brick and hdplex. the barrel plug melted and lost contact with the power in.
i tried pulling it out but it's stuck.
i was thinking of maybe cutting the wires both from the brick and power in and wiring them directly.
hdplex power in has 3 yellow wires and 3 black wires. idk how many wires (i believe it's 2 wires) barrel plug has.
will it work and is it safe?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
hello guys. i got a problem as you can see from the photos below. my pc won't turn on.
i believe it's due to the connection between my dell brick and hdplex. the barrel plug melted and lost contact with the power in.
i tried pulling it out but it's stuck.
i was thinking of maybe cutting the wires both from the brick and power in and wiring them directly.
hdplex power in has 3 yellow wires and 3 black wires. idk how many wires (i believe it's 2 wires) barrel plug has.
will it work and is it safe?

Either it's molten because it made a bad connection or you draw too much power and something else is wrong with your system.

At your own risk: You can try to cut the cables and use a screw terminal block instead. All black wires from HDplex go to the black wire(s) of the DELL brick and all yellow wires to the red wire(s) of the DELL.

If it not turns on, something is fried.

Good luck.

Reactions: Arboreal

byelevi

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 14, 2020
Either it's molten because it made a bad connection or you draw too much power and something else is wrong with your system.

At your own risk: You can try to cut the cables and use a screw terminal block instead. All black wires from HDplex go to the black wire(s) of the DELL brick and all yellow wires to the red wire(s) of the DELL.

If it not turns on, something is fried.

Good luck.
i did cut the cables and wired them directly. system now turns on. i believe what happened is that due to the loose connection between the barrel plug and the dc in, there was arcing inside which raised the temperature and melted the plastics. thankfully, no damage to the system. did some some stress testing of this now directly wired mod, system was stable and power brick didn't heat up that much.

Reactions: Arboreal

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
i did cut the cables and wired them directly. system now turns on. i believe what happened is that due to the loose connection between the barrel plug and the dc in, there was arcing inside which raised the temperature and melted the plastics. thankfully, no damage to the system. did some some stress testing of this now directly wired mod, system was stable and power brick didn't heat up that much.

Great.

Sometimes when these plugs getting older the surface might corrode a bit or do not make good mechanical contact any more and therefore increasing contact resistance. Higher resistance causes heat and leads to issues like that, especially when using them close to their current ratings.

you could get some XT90 connectors if you want to replace the melted one.

Last edited: