News HDPLEX 300W AC-DC w/PFC (nanoATX Series) now for pre order

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Don't forget HD-Plex is running a US$30 reward when you post a review!

I got a question about shipping - if I order from the Germany warehouse to a UK address, I will need to pay VAT on top of the price, right?

Mate I dont think that promo covers anything other than their custom chassis. This is a dc converter and a PSU.

neocmetal

Trash Compacter
Mar 1, 2017
You mean like this?

A very nice Custom SFX Bracket from Larry at HDPlex.
Damn, I need that.

Reactions: ricochet

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Does anyone have this yet? And paired with 300w dc-atx? Please post results and any comments about heat and coil while

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Pushed past 300W (triggered OCP) as well as a number of loads up to that and there was almost no noise at all. A little bit of a crackly noise around 200W, but it was barely audible from <2 ft away with it sitting on my desk. Put it in an enclosure and I don't think you'll hear a thing.

DontPeek

Trash Compacter
Oct 17, 2016
Pushed past 300W (triggered OCP) as well as a number of loads up to that and there was almost no noise at all. A little bit of a crackly noise around 200W, but it was barely audible from <2 ft away with it sitting on my desk. Put it in an enclosure and I don't think you'll hear a thing.

At what wattage did it hit OCP? Also was the crackly noise only around 200w, or was it at 200w and above?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I honestly can't remember right now as I've mostly been using my samples to test the Dynamo and Dynamo mini and that was on my single unit stress. It only shut down with Zotac 1080 running Furmark and my 7700K running Prime95 which I estimate to be a total draw of over 350W. I will try to find time to run the test again with two HDPlex 300W AC/DC so I can get a true idea of the OCP wattage.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Okay so I've been to my office a batch more tests on the Dynamo prototypes as well as the 300W AC-DC unit.

- I ran the single power unit stress tests with a second AC-DC unit (Prime 95/Furmark)

- The good news is it was vastly more stable than the first PSU and overcorrect protection didn't trigger despite the wall-read wattage bumping over 300W a couple of times. The other unit had OCP triggered each time I ran the test within the first 30 seconds.

- The noise I am talking about was there with both units, but it definitely isn't a conventional coil whine type of noise. If I had to describe it, it was almost as if there were a few small insects inside the casing and every now and then one will flutter up and bump the case grating then stop. I am sitting two-ish feet away from an open air unit right now and can hear it. Nowhere near as annoying as a coil whine and I don't think I'd hear it were it inside a case. I was the owner of two GTX 970 cards, so I consider myself something of an expert on how awful coil whine can be.

- Temperature on touch after 10 minutes of stress testing is lukewarm at best. I would say the temperature is lower than that at which I would bathe my two year old (Canada has severe penalties for child abuse, so I assure you it's very cool). Again were the unit dumping heat into the case, things might be different, but I was pulling 300W from the wall (260 from the brick) consistently during stress testing and I would definitely consider this the upper limit of what the brick is meant to do.

- The 7700K is expected to pull about 100W at full synthetic load which it does. The GTX 1080 at stock is expected to pull about 175W average at load with momentary spikes occurring frequently into the 250W range and sometimes beyond. As such this combo is likely pulling 350-400W fairly frequently under synthetic loads of this sort. Probably something as simple as going to a 7700 non-K or 7600K would eliminate the OCP from being triggered. Also the likelihood of actually pulling this sort of load in real system use is a virtual non-issue.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Thanks. It sounds like it does a very good job.

I am tuning an 6700K and GTX1080 and I have not decided on my final voltages yet (as it is not just a simple power limitation issue but a heat & noise balancing act).

It can draw anywhere from 180w-300w under load depending on voltages. The most I forced it to draw was around 315 watts with 2 cores running prime 95 and also heaven benchmark running at the same time.

With my current "sweet spot" (moderate undervolting) the gaming load is about 220 watts (off the wall), which is a lot less than I anticipated. So I am now in the position of considering getting this unit and a DC-ATX board for the space saving benefits over a SFX unit.

Design wise it is a slam dunk. So my considerations really were whether it is as stable as the SFX unit, thermals, and noise.

Last edited: