News HDPLEX 300W AC-DC w/PFC (nanoATX Series) now for pre order

DontPeek

Trash Compacter
Oct 17, 2016
Awesome! It'll be great to have a fanless option for small cases. Can't wait to see what kind of cases are built around this. The price also seems pretty reasonable IMHO. Obviously expensive compared to a standard PSU but the fact that it is tiny, and potentially silent (hopefully no coil whine) makes it definitely worth the premium.

Reactions: ricochet

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Yess! It's finally here! Now I need to see if it'll fit in my case. Also, will it use the 3 pin plug like regular sfx and atx psus use?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yess! It's finally here! Now I need to see if it'll fit in my case. Also, will it use the 3 pin plug like regular sfx and atx psus use?

It should do. All of HDPlex's other units come with this inlet.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
In all fairness there was a lot of redesign done over the many months we've been waiting to make sure this AC-DC supply met the needs of the SFF gaming community specifically. Keeping everything we demanded in this form factor and at this price point was no easy task. Specifically this unit has an (approximate) 25-30% overhead to handle power spikes as opposed to the ~10% most AC-DC adapters have.

As an example, if you use a 7700K at stock (95W) and a 1080ti at stock (180W) you're technically within spec at 275W. If you look at how the 1080 consumes power however, it will periodically spike into the 250-275W range. That is where this power supply is different. Your Dell 330W would possibly fail under this load while the HDPlex is engineered not to.

Reactions: henrygrins and Raxe

neocmetal

Trash Compacter
Mar 1, 2017
I hope my email went through. I wish there was a sfx bracket for those who want to install a HDPLEX or pico psu in their cases. Allowing c14 and pico dc inputs instead of using a sfx psu. Also, ventilated bracket would even be better.

R3venger

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
On taobao you can get the dell brick for under 20 dollar, but as I said it is a BRICK.
I think @hdplex and larry did a great job with the small footprint and the pricing.
Thanks for that

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If that brick is subpar, it can start a house fire. Are you really that sure it's an authentic Dell of comparable quality if you're finding it for 20 dollars on Taobao? I have three kids in my house, so I don't feel like I can afford to mess around with that kinda stuff.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I really like this psu for going small and brickless. I'm happy with my rx480 so the 1060 level of performance is adequate for my needs. Big Polaris probably won't be the best choice here from what you are saying paired with a 65w Ryzen.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Oh man. With a bit of 3D printing for a enclosure and some cable work this could be turned into an external brick for the S4 mini... a way smaller alternative than the Dell ones...

Paging @Josh | NFC !

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Technically, it could!

It's laid out a little more 'clunky' than your average power brick, though. It's got wires-out on both side, one of which joins via adapter to a set of wires that give you you AC-IN and another which joins with your DC-ATX board. Typically, your power brick has an AC-IN receptacle rather than wires dangling off to one.

It's possible you could mod that to be more ordinary, if that's what you were suggesting.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Technically, it could!

It's laid out a little more 'clunky' than your average power brick, though. It's got wires-out on both side, one of which joins via adapter to a set of wires that give you you AC-IN and another which joins with your DC-ATX board. Typically, your power brick has an AC-IN receptacle rather than wires dangling off to one.

It's possible you could mod that to be more ordinary, if that's what you were suggesting.

I started brainstorming a bit right after posting the comment. I thought of designing an enclosure by hand and then sending a model to 3d print with Shapeways but I have little to no experience using cad software. Would be sort of like a cover and require no mods other than cable extensions. It went a bit like this:

Leave a chunk of enclosure internal space to mount with screws the power outlet port onto it, and take the 6 pin cable, roll it and mount it to the enclosure, then use a heat shrunk or sleeved extension that hides the tip inside so it looks like a normal cable. On the s4 mini side would be a female 6 pin mounted to the usual spot, wired to connect to the HDPlex 300w internal PSU. For vents I was thinking maybe a honeycomb pattern. Doesnt have to be 6 pin tho, if anyone knows how to make a 6 pin to 7.5mm jack cable. Sounds like a lot but could be simple to make given the right modeling software. Ill look into making a mock-up drawing soon :)

Im not sure if I explained it right but I tried my best. It would be almost the same as a dell adapter, except smaller and a thicker power cable going into the case. Also, sorry if my writing is all over the place. I'm a bit used to speaking more than a couple of languages haha

Last edited:

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Don't forget HD-Plex is running a US$30 reward when you post a review!

We are also running a 30USD reward program for any customers who could post three pictures of his setup using HDPLEX fanless chassis in one of these forums: Silentpcreview.com, Computeraudiophile.com, HKEPC, Chiphell, AVSForum, Hardwareluxx.de, Forum.hardware.fr, Overclock.net, Hardforum.com, Forum.Kodi.TV, Tweak.dk or your perosnal blog/facebook page.The reward will be in the form of refund to the original order (including Amazon order) or Paypal payment. Just send a URL link for the review to reward@hd-plex.com and reward will be sent within 24 hours.

I got a question about shipping - if I order from the Germany warehouse to a UK address, I will need to pay VAT on top of the price, right?

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
I hope my email went through. I wish there was a sfx bracket for those who want to install a HDPLEX or pico psu in their cases. Allowing c14 and pico dc inputs instead of using a sfx psu. Also, ventilated bracket would even be better.
You mean like this?

A very nice Custom SFX Bracket from Larry at HDPlex.