Power Supply HDPLEX 250W alternative - What would you like to see?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hello there, for my project i've decided to move from an sfx to an HDplex style

well, i can't litteraly choose between the pico box 500w or the hd plex 400

i've just some question:

for the pico box x7 atx 500

-is it as safe as the hdplex for the protections quality and manufacturing reliability?

-can I desolder the 2 connector in the back in order to mount them in the side?

for the hd plex 400:

- can i plug 2 dell od846d brick (210w) together in one adapter in order to give at least 400w to the hd plex by one way?
(because there's not 2 input like in picobox 500 , i want to do like in the msi gt80)

in both case is even a 300w enough for gtx 970 and i5 4690k/ I7 4790 with 2 2.5hdd?

thank you all!

Well I can give you a pretty hard number for your last question. You will see 260w drawn with the 4790K (dunno about the 4790) and the ASUS 970 Mini DCU.

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
Well I can give you a pretty hard number for your last question. You will see 260w drawn with the 4790K (dunno about the 4790) and the ASUS 970 Mini DCU.
Thanks you Josh,

So I should go with 300w version and save my money then...

Do you know something about merging 2 psu together ? Or is one brick enough ?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Larry and I are working on a merging device for multiple AC-DC units, but it's not quite ready to be revealed yet.

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
Alright

So I guess it's not as easy as getting just a ''reversed'' splitter ^~^

Well, I will need an HP firebird to make that work.

By the way Are my 2 dell 210w brick useless :/ ?

And if I push up to 300w with an hdplex, my Dell 210w brick will burn or turn into safety ?

( I know, I'm asking a lot of questions. Sorry but I promise that my prototype will surprise you ;) )

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
First off, you don't need to bother about going with the 250 or 300W versions of the HDPlex as they are no longer made. Unless you plan to purchase used, the 400W is your only option now.

As far as which power solution to use, you have three options. If you want to run the system without limits, you can purchase a Dell 330W brick and have significant overhead to run your system comfortably. Your second option is to run your hardware setup off of a single 210W brick, but undervolted/underclocked in order to stay within the 210W rating. Your third option would be to try using the Mini Box load sharing device Larry @ HDPlex recommended (http://www.mini-box.com/Y-PWR-Hot-Swap-Load-Sharing-Controller). The device is rated at 10A per channel with 20A output total. Hypothetically this means you can use 190W from each AC-DC brick to push out up to 380W which means you're doing quite well with two. The adapter can accept 5V - 30V inputs which means the use of a 19V brick is fine.

Reactions: EdZ

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
First off, you don't need to bother about going with the 250 or 300W versions of the HDPlex as they are no longer made. Unless you plan to purchase used, the 400W is your only option now.

As far as which power solution to use, you have three options. If you want to run the system without limits, you can purchase a Dell 330W brick and have significant overhead to run your system comfortably. Your second option is to run your hardware setup off of a single 210W brick, but undervolted/underclocked in order to stay within the 210W rating. Your third option would be to try using the Mini Box load sharing device Larry @ HDPlex recommended (http://www.mini-box.com/Y-PWR-Hot-Swap-Load-Sharing-Controller). The device is rated at 10A per channel with 20A output total. Hypothetically this means you can use 190W from each AC-DC brick to push out up to 380W which means you're doing quite well with two. The adapter can accept 5V - 30V inputs which means the use of a 19V brick is fine.

that's exactly what i'm searching for ! thank you, a bit pricey for an adapter but it's a good option.