Power Supply HDPLEX 160W DC-DC unit shutting down

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
So, as said in the title (I'm running an RX 570 Pulse ITX with it, and a Dell 230W power brick), whenever I try to run Folding@Home or any benchmark, the DC-DC unit shuts down for whatever reason. Is it just Folding@Home being bad, or is it something to do with the power supply?

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
What are you running as a CPU? My guess is you're probably invoking OCP on your brick as Polaris isn't exactly power efficient. If you take a look at the Tom's Hardware review of the ASUS Strix 570 4GB you can see it pulls 160W while gaming and as high as 195W on torture testing. While the Pulse you have isn't as aggressively clocked as the Strix, the consumption is likely still quite high, especially if the GPU is being run hard during folding.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-570-4gb,5028-15.html

Once factoring 20W for your motherboard, chipset and other components I'm not sure you even have the 65W in the power budget for a non-K processor (overcurrent protection is probably set around 255W).

Reactions: Biowarejak

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
What are you running as a CPU? My guess is you're probably invoking OCP on your brick as Polaris isn't exactly power efficient. If you take a look at the Tom's Hardware review of the ASUS Strix 570 4GB you can see it pulls 160W while gaming and as high as 195W on torture testing. While the Pulse you have isn't as aggressively clocked as the Strix, the consumption is likely still quite high, especially if the GPU is being run hard during folding.

Once factoring 20W for your motherboard, chipset and other components I'm not sure you even have the 65W in the power budget for a non-K processor (overcurrent protection is probably set around 255W).
Ah, well, I’m running quite an interesting set up. The 160W unit and the 230W brick are for the card only, the motherboard is running with its own brick. I wouldn’t be surprised about overcurrent on the 160W unit itself. I’ve got a stock clocked 6600k (hand me down thing) on an Asrock H110M-STX, running from a 120W delta brick. The graphics card runs using an M.2 to PCIe x4 adapter and a PCIe x4 to x16 riser for the card itself.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016

So I just found a way to measure exact card draw, and it's about 161W on average when playing any game at 1080p (software values). So that should conform of the limits of the DC-DC unit as well as the AC-DC unit.. So I don't know where the problem is.

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
So I just found a way to measure exact card draw, and it's about 161W on average when playing any game at 1080p (software values). So that should conform of the limits of the DC-DC unit as well as the AC-DC unit.. So I don't know where the problem is.
Did you solve your problem?
I have something similar but I'm afraid the problem is the power brick...

EDIT
I've tried:

HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX + DELL 240W = SHUTDOWN
HDPLEX 250W DC-ATX + DELL 240W = SHUTDOWN
HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX + DELL 240W = SHUTDOWN
HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX + HDPLEX AC-DC 300W = NO SHUTDOWN!

I can't try HDPLEX 160 DC-ATX + HDPLEX AC-DC 300W because the first has 4 pin power connector, and the AC-DC has a 6 pin power connector.

I've also noted that the Dell interrupt the power, because I didn't have the blue light on the jack until I removed the power cable.

Shutdown happens when I try furmark or a game, but I've seen that gpu average power consumption is 105W with maximum peak of 124W.

I think my problem is the Dell, anyone can confirm?

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You should just be able to mate the 4 pin to the 6 pin with two sticking out.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Did you solve your problem?
I have something similar but I'm afraid the problem is the power brick...

EDIT
I've tried:

HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX + DELL 240W = SHUTDOWN
HDPLEX 250W DC-ATX + DELL 240W = SHUTDOWN
HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX + DELL 240W = SHUTDOWN
HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX + HDPLEX AC-DC 300W = NO SHUTDOWN!

I can't try HDPLEX 160 DC-ATX + HDPLEX AC-DC 300W because the first has 4 pin power connector, and the AC-DC has a 6 pin power connector.

I've also noted that the Dell interrupt the power, because I didn't have the blue light on the jack until I removed the power cable.

Shutdown happens when I try furmark or a game, but I've seen that gpu average power consumption is 105W with maximum peak of 124W.

I think my problem is the Dell, anyone can confirm?
I ended up giving up and just using a jumped ATX PSU. Unfortunately, I still need to find a PSU that'd conform to my size limits. Ah well.