HDplex 160 temps - what can I expect?

Marcus Hughan

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
So I finally got my system running a 1060 6gb and i5 6600k (stock) with an HDplex 160 + hp 330w brick.
I have yet to put it under stress test yet because I'm afraid it will overheat the HDplex.
Just doing basic stuff its getting quite warm to the touch.. is this normal and what kind of temperatures can I expect for this setup.
Should the HDplex be subjected to direct airflow (at the moment mine currently isn't, but it is in open air outside the case)
or would it be fine just cooling passively with its own heatsink

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
So I finally got my system running a 1060 6gb and i5 6600k (stock) with an HDplex 160 + hp 330w brick.
I have yet to put it under stress test yet because I'm afraid it will overheat the HDplex.
Just doing basic stuff its getting quite warm to the touch.. is this normal and what kind of temperatures can I expect for this setup.
Should the HDplex be subjected to direct airflow (at the moment mine currently isn't, but it is in open air outside the case)
or would it be fine just cooling passively with its own heatsink
Having some airflow over it would be ideal, but it should be fine even if it's only getting washed over by air from the GPU or CPU :) Which case?

Marcus Hughan

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Having some airflow over it would be ideal, but it should be fine even if it's only getting washed over by air from the GPU or CPU :) Which case?
atm I'm using a 24pin cable extention so the HDplex is dangling outside the "case" (its just a frame from a silverstone sg13b) so its getting no active airflow at all and the reason why I can just touch it and feel how hot it is :). All this is in the mean time till i get a mobo that can fit the HDplex (it doesnt fit because the 8pin is too close to the 24pin) then I will start chopping up the case to make an a4-sfx style case.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
atm I'm using a 24pin cable extention so the HDplex is dangling outside the "case" (its just a frame from a silverstone sg13b) so its getting no active airflow at all and the reason why I can just touch it and feel how hot it is :). All this is in the mean time till i get a mobo that can fit the HDplex (it doesnt fit because the 8pin is too close to the 24pin) then I will start chopping up the case to make an a4-sfx style case.
Sounds pretty cool! Be sure to post something in the build logs, would love to see it come to fruition :) never even thought about using a 24pin cable extension with the 160, I could see that being potentially useful.

Marcus Hughan

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Yea once I finish with this year of uni (in like 2 weeks yay) Ill get a build log going, but I have to admit its rather improvised. I just brought all the bits I will need and then Im just going to hack up the case to make it all fit in the shape i want... what could go wrong!