handle mod on SG05

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
Well, I got tired of waiting for my ideal case with a handle so I'm going to mod a handle on my SG05.

The plan is to attach it on rear since I don't think the top panel can support the weight.

The easiest way is to drill 2 holes and add the handle between the motherboard and psu.

I could use a fixed steel handle or a strap handle similar to the ones used on suitcases.
I'm still looking at handles online and am open to thoughts.

Reactions: Redivulpis

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I know someone who added a metal handle to the top of I think a SG08. He used large washers to distribute the weight so it wouldn't rip through the panel and it held up fine.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
To add to the weight distribution issue: the 'strap' handle will result in a load trying to 'push' the two strap mounting points together when you lift the case, which could result in the metal sheet between them buckling if not reinforced.

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
I have an SG05, the back isn't particularly strong on it's own, and you only have a couple of rivets holding the thin sheet metal to the frame. The sheet metal on the back panel of the SG05 has that 'L' shaped indentation to add some rigidity where otherwise there isn't much. You could attach the handle to a plate (with the proper cutouts) then mount the plate across the entire back of the case using longer screws to secure the plate to the 4-6 screws on the PSU and the 4 screws for the outer shell.

The top itself is probably going to be fine as long as you add larger washers or washers + plate to help distribute the load. The part that would bother me is while the back is secured with screws, the front is just held in place with metal tabs that are spot welded to the sheet metal top, and those tabs simply clip under the front lip of the frame. The front lip of the frame, however, isn't all that substantial and from what I remember doesn't really have side support. Maybe if you tapped a couple of screws at either side of the front that would be just the little reinforcement it would need.

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
I know someone who added a metal handle to the top of I think a SG08. He used large washers to distribute the weight so it wouldn't rip through the panel and it held up fine.
The top itself is probably going to be fine as long as you add larger washers or washers + plate to help distribute the load. The part that would bother me is while the back is secured with screws, the front is just held in place with metal tabs that are spot welded to the sheet metal top, and those tabs simply clip under the front lip of the frame. The front lip of the frame, however, isn't all that substantial and from what I remember doesn't really have side support. Maybe if you tapped a couple of screws at either side of the front that would be just the little reinforcement it would need.

My thoughts exactly. While the top panel metal cover is thicker, the screws might come loose and the cover might separate from the frame.

I'm going to stick with the fixed handle on the back and add T-bracket supports.

Now I just have to find a handle that's less than 12cm long.

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
I've found a handle that's just under 12cm. Gonna start testing where to mount the handle for the best weight balance.

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
I've decided to add the handle on the rear so its more discreet.

Marked where to drill the holes

bolts I will be using

Drilling

holes

How it looks underneath

finished

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm curious, have you been carrying your rig around much over the last month or so? How's the handle performed after some additional use?

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
I've carried it around 5 times and its pretty sturdy.
Currently, the weak point is where the motherboard i/o meets the expansion slots.
The metal becomes abit bent so i just push it back down afterwards. IT might actually be better if I didn't have the bracket at the bottom