Edit: added english result
8-Phase PWM
2x HDMI 2.1 (!)
Intel WiFi 6 802.11ax
2.5GbE
No chipset fans
Proper SATA ports for sandwich style chassis
2x m.2 (1x 4.0, 1x 3.0)

HDMI 2.1 support is awesome for anyone on a modern television. Coming from a APU signal is less appealing when VSS is the main draw but it's a very futureproof motherboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It would be awesome if that was HDMI input and output, for capture, but it's only output. This board must be designed for the Ryzen 4x00G APUs. Its specs sure look very good !

Reactions: 3lfk1ng

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
IMO this looks like the best of the bunch of the new ITX boards. It's definitely going in the upcoming HTPC, but I might snag one for my main rig too when it gets its next upgrade. Very happy they used Realtek 2.5GbE and not the buggy Intel one.

Reactions: leo1981

Snizzmung

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 11, 2020
I dig everything about this one, but I really wish there were more usb ports on this thing.

I have a solid amount of wireless periphs at this point, and also like to have a few usb's attached for live distributions of linux to run at my leisure.

I suppose I'll need to opt for a usb hub.

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
The backplate makes this very tempting along with there being no vrm fan.... especially if they use similar price point tactics like what they did on Z490 recently.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Realtek eth though :|

It’s a better choice for early adopters. The current i225V 2.5Gbps have a hardware bug that can cause them to operate at reduced speed. Intel currently recommends using them at 1Gbps. Intel claims that a new hardware revision will be available in 2H2020 which will resolve it.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
It’s a better choice for early adopters. The current i225V 2.5Gbps have a hardware bug that can cause them to operate at reduced speed. Intel currently recommends using them at 1Gbps. Intel claims that a new hardware revision will be available in 2H2020 which will resolve it.

Realtek 8125 doesn't look like a plug and play chip with Linux, unlike the Intel one ;)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Realtek 8125 doesn't look like a plug and play chip with Linux, unlike the Intel one ;)
Isn't having to install a driver a better tradeoff than having a 2.5GbE chip that at times operates at 1-10Mbps? Especially if it also has WiFi for downloading the ethernet driver?

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Isn't having to install a driver a better tradeoff than having a 2.5GbE chip that at times operates at 1-10Mbps? Especially if it also has WiFi for downloading the ethernet driver?

If your wifi works out of the box with the installer ..... which requires kernel 5.2, at least, for the Intel AX200. For Archlinux, you need a working network interface to install it. It's something I'll have to dig :D

Edit: Might be better to get an X570 with an Intel i211-AT in my case ?. More expensive but headache free...

Edit²: @Valantar @AlexTSG , thank you for pointing me to this i225-V bug. Wasn't aware of it.

Last edited:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com

Ah, I see. It does look like they already have a driver available for Linux, but it’s nice to have your Ethernet working straight after the install.

This particular 2.5Gbps Ethernet chip looks like it will be on a lot of the new boards.

I’m still waiting to see what MSI releases. I really wanted front panel USB C support. So far all the boards announced have almost everything I want.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Ah, I see. It does look like they already have a driver available for Linux, but it’s nice to have your Ethernet working straight after the install.

This particular 2.5Gbps Ethernet chip looks like it will be on a lot of the new boards.

They do have a driver, it's in AUR (Arch User Repository), but you still need a working network interface to download it (along the dependancies) and build it.

I could live from the Wifi, but not sure that the AX200 works out of the box either ... I don't want to install an OS or part of it by using my phone as an USB modem.

That's quite unfortunate, because many of the higher end motherboard are loaded with that i225-V chip.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Install OS > Connect phone via USB for tether > Install Eth driver > Unplug phone.
It's not too bad. As Linux users, we should be used to that by now although plug-n-play would be nice.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Install OS > Connect phone via USB for tether > Install Eth driver > Unplug phone.
It's not too bad. As Linux users, we should be used to that by now although plug-n-play would be nice.

I have no issue with installing/building package .... but .... installing Archlinux requires an internet connection, it's not Ubuntu, Debian, Suse and co .... you know ... command line installer and it DL everything from the repositories ... :D.

I've already installed a full Archlinux through 3G though, that's still a possibility.

Edit: AX200 is included in iwlwifi and as such linux-firmware package. It "should" work out of the box with latest kernel.

Last edited: