General Chat Thread

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Was at a customer's house earlier today to get rid of fake antivirus popups and found this interesting (unrelated) issue:

You know you've been working IT for too long when even the printers are BSODing :p
I recognize it, it's one of those early generation HP all-in-ones. About 12 years ago I started a new job at a computer shop and I saw a brand new one of these sitting in a corner, still about € 400 at the time. I asked what the problem was, apparently it jammed after taking one piece of paper, every single time. And HP didn't collect it yet, it was months after the customer received his new one.

The tinkerer that I am I asked if I could have it to see if I could do anything to fix it. The next day I spoke to a friend about it who worked at HP printing, he said since it was a brand new model, I should just ring up HP and they didn't even have to see a serial number, proof of purchase was enough. Two days later HP came to exchange "my" copier :D But since then I've paid back HP in multiples in ink cartridges alone, so we're even.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I finally dumped inkjets altogether and grabbed one of Brother's colour all-in-one laser monstrosities (MFC-L8650CDW, I was not expecting it to be so huge!) in one of their regular rebate offers. Works fabulously though, and toner refills are cheap and easy.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A few days ago I discovered that the AppleTV has a screensaver feature. Big whoop you'd think, but these are the most beautiful scrolling HD videos of city and landscape vistas, all free to watch:

The originals from October:
http://benjaminmayo.co.uk/watch-all-the-apple-tv-aerial-video-screensavers

The extra ones from yesterday:
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/16/apple-tv-new-aerial-screen-savers/

If you want the URLs directly from the source file:
http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/000/Features/atv/AutumnResources/videos/entries.json

Now I'm looking for a way to display these as live wallpaper...

Reactions: Soul_Est

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Now I'm looking for a way to display these as live wallpaper...

I can't believe it's still not supported by default in Windows. Vista Ultimate had it but then they abandoned the feature :(

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Probably because of the battery life consumption and issues with DirectX it could cause. At the moment I see it should be possible with VLC and StarDock software, VLC I couldn't get it to work properly and the StarDock software is either Cnet.com malware-infested trials or 10$. I'm willing to pay, but not to test if it's worth the money without infesting my computer.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
ok so I'm really new to the whole DC-DC + AC-DC thing.

I see all these DC-DC units and I'm really hyped about making a build around it, bit I don't know what I should be careful about it, seeing as most of these units are exposed and whatnot. I'm just used to having an enclosure around PSUs. Any precautions I should be aware of when handling, installing, and using these units?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Don't poke at it with a screwdriver while it's plugged in :p

Most of them have a heatsink that's safe to use thermal tape to secure it in place inside the case. For the PicoPSU direct-plug type of units you can cover the exposed parts in electrical tape if there's concern about nearby components contacting them. Though if it's not strictly necessary I would avoid doing that because the tape will trap heat.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

Holy crap they didn't proofread that press release at all. Also:

the distinction of having overcame the challenges of developing RGB LED illuminated SSDs and memory modules.

They literally just slapped a slab with all the RGB circuitry onto a 7mm SSD, you can even see the seam around the whole thing:

That is not really challenging. It also looks like the USB connector is not on the same face as the SATA connectors, which is beyond stupid.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
RGB the world!

Source

To be fair, if they weren't that awfully tall, I'd use these to match the orange of my mainboards underglow LEDs. At least they look somewhat reasonable. Unfortunately the market for minimalistic LP RGB DIMMs is probably close to non-existent.

RGB SATA cables!

Easy, get some EL tape about double the width of the SATA cable and wrap it around. Creates a clean seam at the back and might actually look quite cool if the cable management is clean.

Reactions: Soul_Est