General Chat Thread

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
After the triple-slot card, we now have a quad-slot card ! And it's oversized ofcourse.
https://www.techpowerup.com/228215/colorful-unveils-the-igame-gtx-1080-kudan

I wonder if this would still fit in an Ncase M1.

As stupid as this looks, this seems like an interesting way to get a radiator into the bottom of an M1. The problem with fitting won't necessarily be the case, but the mainboard. It looks like the watercooled backplate could easily interfere with the mainboards I/O.

It seems like a logical step for anyone who wants to really push pixels but not deal with all the problems multi-GPU poses. A ridiculous, but not useless product as far as I'm concerned.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Kinda tempted to get one to replace my current workstation (2.2GHz 35W i7-4785T, 16GB, 240GB SSD):

ASRock C236 WSI4-85L: http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C236 WSI4-85L#Specifications

The CPU is a 45W Xeon E3-1585L (4 cores / 8 threads) with a 3.0GHz frequency (3.7GHz turbo). It has an Iris PRO iGPU, M.2 slot and 4x SODIMM slots with ECC support.

EDIT: For those interested, they also have an ITX LGA2011-3 for Xeon E5-1600/2600 V3/V4, with 4x SODIMM ECC. It only lacks an M.2 slot to be perfect.

ASRock EPC612D4I: http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPC612D4I#Specifications

Last edited:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Oh, I'm well aware of this bad boy. Now that I'll be (finally) building my desktop soon, the two ideas I have in mind are either mATX in a Cerberus, or an M1 with (probably) that exact board.

I should make a thread for this, actually...

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
EDIT: For those interested, they also have an ITX LGA2011-3 for Xeon E5-1600/2600 V3/V4, with 4x SODIMM ECC. It only lacks an M.2 slot to be perfect.

Oh, I'm well aware of this bad boy.

Rear IO is lackluster, boot times probably suck, no onboard audio. It's a neat board but I really wish their non-server Mini-ITX X99 board had 4x SODIMM :\

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Rear IO is lackluster, boot times probably suck, no onboard audio. It's a neat board but I really wish their non-server Mini-ITX X99 board had 4x SODIMM :\

Agreed. I can live with crummy I/O but I didn't realize there wasn't onboard audio - that's a rather big caveat :0 though a typical for server solutions.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016

Just for the quad channel or some other reason? Personally I'm pretty happy to have paid (a bit) less for 64GB of ECC DIMMs + more likely to be able to upgrade to 128 sooner if the 64GB sticks drop to a reasonable price in the nearish future.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Just for the quad channel or some other reason? Personally I'm pretty happy to have paid (a bit) less for 64GB of ECC DIMMs + more likely to be able to upgrade to 128 sooner if the 64GB sticks drop to a reasonable price in the nearish future.

Mostly for more RAM with the i7's.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Mostly for more RAM with the i7's.

Ahh fair enough. Personally for anything over 16GB, especially on a system I'm doing work on, I very strongly prefer ECC just because bitflips are actually not that uncommon, and I'd rather have reduced stability and such come from the universal "all software is shitty" reason rather than something preventable.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The Xeon E3-1585L board has onboard audio. You can also just use a USB DAC plugged to a motherboard USB header.

I'm assuming you could get away with some USB Audio solution in that case.

Yeah, I actually do this now with my current setup.

Ahh fair enough. Personally for anything over 16GB, especially on a system I'm doing work on, I very strongly prefer ECC just because bitflips are actually not that uncommon, and I'd rather have reduced stability and such come from the universal "all software is shitty" reason rather than something preventable.

I'd say it's a must if you're doing programming or software development (which I don't do much of presently, but I'd honestly probably just pay a little more now to not have to think about it later).

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Personally for anything over 16GB, especially on a system I'm doing work on, I very strongly prefer ECC just because bitflips are actually not that uncommon

I like to live dangerously :p

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'd say it's a must if you're doing programming or software development (which I don't do much of presently, but I'd honestly probably just pay a little more now to not have to think about it later).

That's my thought about it. Moving back to low level programming in a month, I'd like to have a more robust system. Will also use ESXi on a daily basis, so a server grade rig would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Be sure to check VMware's HCL to be sure it works or verify it from other users. It's not a given that it will work with everything correctly if it doesn't. For my 4th gen NUC I had to slipstream 2 drivers to make it work.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Was at a customer's house earlier today to get rid of fake antivirus popups and found this interesting (unrelated) issue:

You know you've been working IT for too long when even the printers are BSODing :p

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Just saw this on /r/sffpc. (someone hand-carried his M1 in his flight) Kinda aiming for that kind of carryaround freedom for my next PC, LOL

EDIT: embed

Last edited:
Reactions: iFreilicht