General Chat Thread

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
For a genuine frustrating web experience, you should try to navigate HP's website for a driver for anything else than a printer. It's borderline torture.

Thiiiiiiiis!! I hate trying to download drivers, and when you click the download link it takes you to a new page, but when you click the back button to get the other drivers it takes you all the way back to the model selection screen instead :mad:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If you get back to the model selection screen. Often you could get a cup of coffee per page click, it would take atleast 20 seconds to load some days of the week. I'd buy a T-shirt showing my disgust for the HP website. But not every frustration would fit on one shirt...

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
And some of the driver download sizes are stupidly big. Why does a $50 printer need 350MB worth of driver?!

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I tend to avoid the back button issue by opening almost every link as a new tab (with the extra 'side wheel' on the MX Revolution dedicated to tab navigation). Allows for persistent page states, but does have drawbacks if you tend to think "I'll leave this open and come back to it later" too often.
For a genuine frustrating web experience, you should try to navigate HP's website for a driver for anything else than a printer. It's borderline torture. I've had dental work done that I hated less.
Indeed. They've managed to make a support website worse than Dell's to navigate. That should be worthy of an award (to be delivered at high speed directly to the parties responsible. Repeatedly).

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I tend to do that as well.
Probably explains the three THOUSAND open tabs I have at the moment.

Why do you use the side wheel for that though? Most browsers default behavior is new tab in background with a middle (mousewheel) click.

It's a shame tech companies seem to have no clue how to make websites work properly. Such a terribly annoying irony, though, at least they have (mostly) stopped making those horrid flash websites.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I use middle-click to open links in new tabs (apart from some websites who do some javascript nonsense), the side wheel maps CTRL-TAB, CTRL-SHIFT-TAB (move back and forward through tabs), and CTRL-W (close tab), with the adjacent thumb-buttons mapping CTRL-T (new tab) and CTRL-SHIFT-T (re-open closed tab).

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Ah

I always used the thumb wheel for volume, the thumb buttons for tab forward/backward, and the scroll ratchet on/off was used for F5 and the ratchet was always auto. My MX revolution wore out years ago, though. The mousewheel was always the best feature.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I tend to avoid the back button issue by opening almost every link as a new tab

I do that but there are some sites that doesn't work on. Molex.com is one I've run into recently.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I always find it annoying when I try to open something in a new tab and it just opens it in the same tab (and often the sites that do that ALSO break proper use of the back button). Bonus points for still opening the new tab.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I tend to do that as well.
Probably explains the three THOUSAND open tabs I have at the moment.
I'm yealous because you can read Matrix code apparently.

Reactions: jeshikat

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
おかえりなさい!

What kind of build?

Naturally sticking to SFF, granted not as small as you guys tend to get, but still. There's still a bit of debate between the Nano S and the Raijintek Metis. If I go Metis, then I'll be getting a smaller PSU so the GPU could fit. But I've done a lot of reading/watching youtube videos about the GPU and I'm pretty set on getting that one.

Biggest argument (still) is my build is focused on aesthetics and not just performance. So I'm choosing parts that not only satisfy my performance desires but also my visual ones.

Overall Color Scheme: Black/White/Gold (Gold might change)

CPU: 6600K - Figured it's just the best bang for the buck and gives me the ability to OC if I so desire it.

CPU Cooler:
Going back and forth between this one and the Phanteks TC12DX in all White.

Motherboard:
Again, best bang for the buck. Still allows OC, it's got Wifi and an M2 data port as well.

Memory:
Could go up to 32GBs but I figure I'll start off with 16GB and move up later. Went with this model because of the color and the price.

Storage:
Starting off with the 120GB SSD. I'm going to be doing the NAS thing so I'm not too worried about storage, but I might up it to a three-way SSD and run it in a RAID 10 config. (Or Dual in a Raid 0)

Video Card:
Did a lot on this, as originally I was going to get a 1060 or something along those lines. From what I've been able to research and see, this card performs just as well and it's cheaper. I figured I'd shell out another few bucks and get the 8GB Nitro OC version so I could get the quieter performance and the fans.

Case:
Like I said above - still not 100% sure but I think as of this exact moment I'll be going with the Nano S and then purchasing an aftermarket Glass Side Panel. Was also considering the NCase M1 but I'm not too fond of spending $150ish on a case that I'd have to modify to have a side window.

PSU:
Does what it needs to do, fully modular and at a good price.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $913.92

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm not sure on heatsink clearance, but I much prefer the mounting system on the H5 series over the H7.

SSDs are cheap enough, why not a good Samsung 250GB?

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I'm not sure on heatsink clearance, but I much prefer the mounting system on the H5 series over the H7.

SSDs are cheap enough, why not a good Samsung 250GB?

Not a fan of the H5, - it's just personal preference. I'll most likely end up going with the Phanteks since it'll be more towards the build scheme, but we'll see when we get closer.

SSDs I'm not sure on. The Samsungs are expensive - the PNY is $50 but also half the storage. I don't really have a budget for the build, but I'm trying to keep it under $1000 since I'm also moving apartments, upgrading my Macbook's RAM, and SSDs to a RAID 0, and whatnot in that timeframe. So $1000 is where I'd like to keep it and I can always upgrade later if it's not enough.

So I don't know. If I do the RAID setup in the PC, I'll definitely be moving to the Samsung EVOs.

I think what I'm going to do to incorporate whatever accent color I choose (aside from sleeving)
is paint a one to three of the fins on the fans in the color I want. I'm not sure how visible it'd be though.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you're considering RAID why not a M.2 drive? If you can get your hands on one a Samsung SM961 can do ~3200MB/s sequential read.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
If you're considering RAID why not a M.2 drive? If you can get your hands on one a Samsung SM961 can do ~3200MB/s sequential read.

Yup, though there is likely to be a bit of a wait, they're pretty backed up on production - I ordered one as soon as they became available pretty much and definitely won't have it before October. Decent prices, though — 1TB was ~US$500 for me.

Reactions: Soul_Est