General Chat Thread

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
at least the current iteration of spectre...?

yeah if it's a whack-a-mole problem then I don't think i should be basing my purchase decisions on that, lol ._.

Reactions: AleksandarK

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
@VegetableStu I think that Spectre must be patched on hardware/silicon level. But if you need to buy a system, i wouldn't care too much about it. If you need it now, than just buy it now.

I discovered that my problems with not getting notifications are just due to version of browser. Updated chrome and all works great.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Y'all got any SFF animals? I have one.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
so the other day while commuting I read up on some case mods to shove an mATX system into some EVGA Hadron Airs (they're meant for ITX boards).

the cases don't seem to be readily available anymore, but that got me thinking how many over 20L ITX cases can be simple modded / hacked out to fit bigger boards? maybe even regular ATX

looking into current cases and maaaaayybe the Enthoo Evolv ITX could be cut out at the bottom at the PSU corner, although I'm not sure what obstructions are there elsewhere. maaaaaayybe the Define Nano S as well, even less things to cut although the board will cover the rubber cable ports and it being unnecessarily long

(also was there one ITX case mod where they crammed an X99 3 or 4 GPU system? (the board was oriented vertically with the IO all facing upwards) for some reason I keep thinking it was done in a Corsair 380T but the closest I could find was the one in the mitxlove competition...)

EDIT: FOUND IT FOUND IT it's in a Prodigy! not the 380t!!

there's even a second one! https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/your-pc-atm.65012/page-992

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The Prodigy was always badly bloated for an itx case, I have to say it looks pretty wicked with an atx board and 3 way sli.

Reactions: Biowarejak

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
@VegetableStu
I have a Hadron at home that I picked up on EBay cheap with a dead psu. Took a while for one to come up but maybe try that. Didn’t @3lfk1ng put a B350 Mortar in a Hadron?

Also the Riotoro. Cr280 fits mAtx with the removal of he 3.5 hdd cradle. Did mine win a hacksaw. Ran a 1700 b350 Mortar. 1070sc.

Mount an Sfx psu in the stock location with a bracket or getto Mod a slight offset to clear the board.

Pics are not in this phone ... yar. I can post some when I get home if you like.

Edit: Also I have since parted that build out and the case is no no longer in use. If you want it I can go super cheap. The power and reset buttons are intact and functional but to the thin plastic covers are missing. Did I mention SUPER cheap? Lol. Can provide pics.

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
ooh nice, thanks for the heads up! probably not going to acquire any more cases for quite some time (especially after airshipping a CR1080 and a (soon) Cerberus), but good to know when luck gets drunk on something

I picked out a few contenders with some notes: (in case anyone wants to try their hand on ITXing some big motherboards)
(also I'm not sure if using an SFX bracket adapter would clear PCIe socket height, but the worst would be mounting them by the fans, so)
  • Riotoro CR280: 21.48L (for completeness, thanks again TheHig)
    • Board size: mATX
    • Modding Difficulty: Minimal. Removal of drive bays. check interference between PSU and Motherboard
  • NZXT H200i: 24.98L
    • Board Size: mATX
    • Modding Difficulty: Medium. Cutting off the lower side of tray to separate from PSU shroud, but may cause board wiggling. maybe look into installing standoffs from the top side and screwing from the underside
    • Extra note: Glass Side Panel
  • Fractal Nano S: 26.8L
    • Modding Difficulty: Light. Cut straight down along base of ridge, and cut out towards the front to clear ATX outline. Tray relatively flat.
  • Phantecks Enthoo Evolv ITX: 34.07L
    • Modding Difficulty: Heavy. Cut off lower and right side of tray to separate from PSU. may cause board wiggling. See H200i
  • EVGA Hadron Air: 15.88L (for completeness again)
    • Modding Difficulty: Minimal. Considerations needed for SFX PSUs.
EDIT: so i derped out and only counted 6 PCIe slots. adjusted board sizing

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Edit: Also I have since parted that build out and the case is no no longer in use. If you want it I can go super cheap. The power and reset buttons are intact and functional but to the thin plastic covers are missing. Did I mention SUPER cheap? Lol. Can provide pics.
Thanks for the offer, but I reckon shipping would murder me (not willing to let that burden someone else!!)

....buuut out of curiosity, where are you located?

Reactions: Biowarejak