General Chat Thread

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
speaking of linus: there's this indiegogo campaign that's making an ATX single-card flat case. in a replica redesigned Apple II case

looks seriously flimsy though ._.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I found this Kickstarter and the premise looked appealing. A tiny eGPU dock in the form of a MXM card package. However, my BS-o-meter started going off when I saw the demo pictures and video of it being powered completely off a laptop.

Fully powered by USB-C? No way, as it can't get you far. You'd draw a maximum of 18W of power from the bus, and that means it'll have to be severely throttled in performance to work. Yet at the same time, it also boasts some proprietary hashing algorithm that improves mining performance XD And how will it be plug-and-play with a Macintosh when the GTX 1050 isn't on the list?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I found this Kickstarter and the premise looked appealing. A tiny eGPU dock in the form of a MXM card package. However, my BS-o-meter started going off when I saw the demo pictures and video of it being powered completely off a laptop.

Fully powered by USB-C? No way, as it can't get you far. You'd draw a maximum of 18W of power from the bus, and that means it'll have to be severely throttled in performance to work. Yet at the same time, it also boasts some proprietary hashing algorithm that improves mining performance XD And how will it be plug-and-play with a Macintosh when the GTX 1050 isn't on the list?
Honestly that makes me sad, it's already fully funded.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
The possibilities are endless.

BTW, I'm going to a friend's house tomorrow and he runs a normal ATX system in some disgusting NZXT case tricked out with dope fresh RGB everywhere. I'm going to try and get some pics for the inefficiency thread lol. I've actually become the biggest SFF snob.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
The possibilities are endless.

BTW, I'm going to a friend's house tomorrow and he runs a normal ATX system in some disgusting NZXT case tricked out with dope fresh RGB everywhere. I'm going to try and get some pics for the inefficiency thread lol. I've actually become the biggest SFF snob.

The kid changed his case and his rig was totally overhauled to my disbelief. Even replaced his 212 Evo with a CLC. I was so mad.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Updated skype few days ago, found out it sucks. MC only ruined it with all those colors!

Found out that a web-app of Skype is same as old, so i now just use web-app

Reactions: Biowarejak

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
The kid changed his case and his rig was totally overhauled to my disbelief. Even replaced his 212 Evo with a CLC. I was so mad.

I am an SFF snob too. My friend gets a nice minimalist Fractal R5, and i'm like 'no rgb is good but it's still too big'

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
I recently bought everything i need to make custom sleeved cable extensions off of ebay the other day, but I'm having second thoughts on the quality of parts ordered. Right now i'm considering getting pre-fabricated extensions and just shorten these instead. All of the items ship out of China, but I havent received them yet so i've been unable to physically inspect the parts. Anyone here care to offer their opinion on them?

Wire: Generic 18AWG Stranded Wire, silicon rubber insulation
Connectors: Generic plastic 24-pin & 8-pin connectors
Braiding: polyester PET, rating UL94-V0
Terminal plugs: Generic 2.54mm Long Dupont Head
Heatshrink tubes: Polyolefin 2:1 tubing

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I recently bought everything i need to make custom sleeved cable extensions off of ebay the other day, but I'm having second thoughts on the quality of parts ordered. Right now i'm considering getting pre-fabricated extensions and just shorten these instead. All of the items ship out of China, but I havent received them yet so i've been unable to physically inspect the parts. Anyone here care to offer their opinion on them?

Wire: Generic 18AWG Stranded Wire, aluminum rubber insulation
Connectors: Generic plastic 24-pin & 8-pin connectors
Braiding: polyester PET, rating UL94-V0
Terminal plugs: Generic 2.54mm Long Dupont Head
Heatshrink tubes: Polyolefin 2:1 tubing
Did you say aluminum wire? Or is that just part of the insulation?