jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
while we're on this e-peen train:
I had to hit the cli app to get this result, the browser based test just barfs and crashes firefox

EDIT: there is more there but finding a speedtest server w/ enough bandwidth in both directions is proving difficult

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I think Ookla servers are officially limited to 1G test speed. So, testing anything higher will pose a problem.

I have been subscribing a 300/300 plan for years. About 3 years ago, local ISPs began to offer 10G plan to residential addresses.
At the same time, my ISP tempted me to upgrade to 1000/1000. I would have triple the speed but the monthly subscription would go up by 50%. 50% more money for 300% speed increase sounded like a good deal but I declined as I really had no use for 1G speed. Also, 10G is technically 10 times faster than 1G but my ISP only charges the monthly subscription fourfold. Tempting but I still have no such need.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Why do all the jagoffs at Micro Center ask you what you use your PC for? Everything, you slackjawed neckbeard. It's a PC. You use them for everything. HOW ONE DIMENSIONAL DO YOU THINK I AM?!

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Microcenter, alongside many other companies now, are trying to prevent sales to Crypto miners. While Microcenter stands to profit from it directly, the companies that sell the products (i.e. Nvidia/AMD) have sent word asking that they help reduce/halt the sale of their products to the mining audience as it's (1) hurting sales to their mainstream consumers and (2) affecting investor confidence as they cannot keep up with the demand.

I could be missing several factors here but that's most likely why they questioned your intent with the product.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Further to the 2 above reasons, I think, a gaming focus system is relatively different from a system geared for video/photo editing or as a server or as a mining machine. So, Microcenter can use the survey to fine tune their hardware/software stock. I suppose, they are a billion dollar business and managing a huge huge stock is very important.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Why do all the jagoffs at Micro Center ask you what you use your PC for? Everything, you slackjawed neckbeard. It's a PC. You use them for everything. HOW ONE DIMENSIONAL DO YOU THINK I AM?!

Probably part of the training on customer engagement or some such.

When non PC/tech savy people ask me for build advice the first thing I ask them is “what’s the PC going to be used for?” Unless your gaming at high res high refresh or mining crypto Grams doesn’t need the 1080ti on the Facebook and Email box.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
so probably unreasonable question: Ryzen 2 Threadripper or 2019 Threadripper? (chip refresh or next shrink? is spectre hardware patch-out worth the wait?) Although at this point I'd reach for the x920X tier

Reactions: AleksandarK