General Chat Thread

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
so while LTT plays with black 2.0, Hardware Canucks did a piece with a pair of headphones with binaural mics in them.

Interesting that Dmitry did this thing with swapping stereo direction where our left hears his right when the camera faces him from the front (like mirroring)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I love how much the matching Sennheiser mic costs (2400 USD). Not sure if you're going to see a lot of adoption of the relevant technology at those prices, which kinda makes the buds moot.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
nice! (also congrats on the new user banner!)

Now on LEGO: Star Wars 8 spoilers ._. Going through their catalogue and half of them are "hang on I don't remember this happening in SW7 oh dammit"

Reactions: AleksandarK

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
nice! (also congrats on the new user banner!)

Now on LEGO: Star Wars 8 spoilers ._. Going through their catalogue and half of them are "hang on I don't remember this happening in SW7 oh dammit"
Thank yoh very much.

As far as Star Wars. I am big fan. Until ep5 it was very exciting and interesting. Now it is not that exciting, but good enough.

Reactions: VegetableStu

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Maybe. Hard sell as we all know "how it ends": the plans are delivered to the Rebel Alliance (thanks to the sacrifice of many Bothans, and all the theater-goers who sat through Jar-Jar Binks), who then succeed in destroying the Death Star (twice!) while also, in passing, taking care of Jabba the Hutt and Boba Fett (in a sweet twofer), Darth Vader, an entire Super Star Destroyer, oh, and Emperor Palpatine [who seemed to be rather 'out of training' for a Force user - other than the whole lightning from his hands thing (moral: don't let your duties and perks in the C-suite keep you from doing the little things that helped put you there in the first place)].

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
After watching Rogue One in the theater, the most prominent idea in my mind was that it was the best Star Wars experience of all of them. I'd highly recommend if you didn't watch any of the movies after the classic trilogy.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

I might have spent waaaay too much time on this.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nice workon that mockup !

On a tablet, screen edges make sense to hold because of the size. You can grip a phone with a single hand just from the sides and rear, but for a 10" tablet it's not comfortable, especially for longer periods of time. So I'm not sure we'd see one like this anytime soon.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Yeah on the same hand it'd be an extremely breakable screen compared to the others when dropped on the sides.

But on the other I'd guess Apple will figure out a way or guideline to detect non-cursor finger interactions when it comes to gripping the iPad on the active area near the borders. If there's already a 80% confident (just throwing a number) palm rejection for the iPad pro...

Also LOL THAT SCREEN ESTATE

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
A design like the Lenovo Yoga tablets might work, where the batteries (and thus most of the mass) are stored in a 'grip' along one back edge.
Would you have it set as a grip for landscape or portrait mode?
It would make using your tablet in the other orientation awkward.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I finished the course for android developer. It was pretty cool. Learned the basics and it wasnt hard at all.

Now thinking about learning something else. I am thinking about something from Computer Science. Do you guys reccomend some area from CS?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
was procrastiworking on a list of mATX boards, and I kinda question my notion about mATX with only one x16 Lane socket. Is my possibly irrational view of oversized ITX boards unfounded?

(for context: I kinda prefer x8x8 board than a x16x1x1x4 PCH board just because of being able to plug two higher-bandwidth cards)