G'day from Melbourne, Australia

Hey team!
Tuning in from Melbourne, Australia here. Just venturing into the SFF world now, and am super excited to get started. My aim with my first SFF system is mainly to have a portable system designed around the RTX 2080 TI, with a sufficient enough CPU to support some rendering and of course a little gaming. The software I use for video/rendering creation mainly leverages GPU processing power, hence the focus on the 2080 TI.

As such, the Dan A4 or upcoming Velka 7 look like a great fit, but possibly leaning more towards the Dan A4 so that I can fit an AIO. Always looking for suggestions though!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum ! The DANcase A4 seems like a good fit for your planned build ! It'll depend massively on the CPU as an undervolted 8-core or unlocked 16-core will require quite some different cooling.

Reactions: WitchDoctorGilded

WitchDoctorGilded

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 6, 2020
Thanks Phuncz! I'm looking at the Ryzen 3700x as the CPU, as you say to get 8 cores but to still keep it within the cooling limits of the Dan.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
@WitchDoctorGilded have you looked at the upcoming Dan C4-SFX?

It's a little bigger, but it can take a 240mm AIO, and would probably offer better cooling for the 2080Ti

Here are the latest samples that Dan has received:

and these photo's have the C4 and the A4 together, so you can compare the size:

Reactions: WitchDoctorGilded

WitchDoctorGilded

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 6, 2020
@AlexTSG Oof that does look very nice. One of my biggest requirements is size though, as I'd like to have it fit in a small bag/carry on for travelling. Definitely something to toss up though - thanks so much for the links!

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
@AlexTSG Oof that does look very nice. One of my biggest requirements is size though, as I'd like to have it fit in a small bag/carry on for travelling. Definitely something to toss up though - thanks so much for the links!

If you’re traveling a lot then the A4 probably is a better bet. There are just limited options for CPU cooling, although the Asetek 645LT with a LoserCard mod may be worth investigating. This may limit your choice of 2080 Ti. Only a problem if you have a card already that’s too big.

You might also want to see if you can get the Wallye Tactik Duffel v2 as a carry bag. I’ve heard it’s perfect for a Dan A4, but I’m not sure where you would get one as SFFLAB looks like it doesn’t sell them anymore. I’m sure someone on these forums will know.

WitchDoctorGilded

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 6, 2020
If you’re traveling a lot then the A4 probably is a better bet. There are just limited options for CPU cooling, although the Asetek 645LT with a LoserCard mod may be worth investigating. This may limit your choice of 2080 Ti. Only a problem if you have a card already that’s too big.

You might also want to see if you can get the Wallye Tactik Duffel v2 as a carry bag. I’ve heard it’s perfect for a Dan A4, but I’m not sure where you would get one as SFFLAB looks like it doesn’t sell them anymore. I’m sure someone on these forums will know.
Ah, that bag looks awesome, unfortunate it was a limited run, but I'm sure I can find an alternative.

I'll look into the LoserCard mod, haven't heard of it. Looks like it's to add another fan in, is that correct?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Ah, that bag looks awesome, unfortunate it was a limited run, but I'm sure I can find an alternative.

I'll look into the LoserCard mod, haven't heard of it. Looks like it's to add another fan in, is that correct?

It shifts the power supply and graphics card up a bit higher so you can fit a 25mm thick fan onto the 645LT AIO, instead of a 14mm one (which is a tight fit normally). The downside is that the millimeters gained for the fan are lost for graphics card height, but if you can find a 2080 ti that’s 130mm in height or less then you‘re golden.

If you’re interested then it’s worth asking on the Dan A4 forum here. I’m sure there are a few people there who have done the mod. I think there’s more info on Reddit too.

WitchDoctorGilded

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 6, 2020
It shifts the power supply and graphics card up a bit higher so you can fit a 25mm thick fan onto the 645LT AIO, instead of a 14mm one (which is a tight fit normally). The downside is that the millimeters gained for the fan are lost for graphics card height, but if you can find a 2080 ti that’s 130mm in height or less then you‘re golden.

If you’re interested then it’s worth asking on the Dan A4 forum here. I’m sure there are a few people there who have done the mod. I think there’s more info on Reddit too.
Oh I see, that makes sense. I'll check that out then, if not for the first run build then a future revision, sounds awesome! Thanks dude.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@Phuncz @Windfall Hey guys, is there any way to edit a post in the Trade forum? I just want to edit my 'Buying' post to include that I'm also looking for an NCase M1, rather than just a Dan A4.

You have to have a certain number of posts before you gain edit permissions. It's an anti-spam measure. I can edit it for you if you like in the meantime.

WitchDoctorGilded

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 6, 2020
Oh, that's fair enough. I was driving myself crazy trying to find out how to do it lol. It's okay - I've actually preordered an NCase M1, so the thread can just be closed. Thanks heaps @Windfall !

Reactions: Windfall