GameCube stx build?

Ducky

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Alright, so a while back, I wanted to use a GameCube case for my build, and I know it's been done, but I really wanted to do a high performance gaming build.
I'm fairly new to this, and really unsure if any of this will work, but here goes.
I saw the new stx mobos,
Figure this puppy should suit my needs
GIGABYTE GA-H110MSTX-HD3 (rev. 1.0)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP5TS2905
And then I was going to go with an Intel i7 core 7700k
Since it's the best CPU I could find that I figured might work. I'm fairly sure I'll have to update the firmware on my motherboard to get everything in working order, but after that I'm sure I can find a low profile cooler that will work
Perhaps this fellow, the NT07-1156
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=262&area=en
Then I've figured any 2133 SO-DIMM should do, might just go with 1 16 gig stick.
And any ssd should do as well, as I'll likely have to get an m.2 to pcie 4 pin converter and then a 4pin to 16 pin riser. Possibly a powered riser? For a dedicated GPU. And Mobo only really has one usable m.2
I really want to do a gigabyte GeForce gtx 1080 itx.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080IX-8GD#kf
I know it's a bit long for the case, but I think I should be able to figure something out.
I'm just really unsure if I'm a nut or not, so that's what I was thinking, lemme know if anybody sees any issues? My biggest issue in researching is figuring how to power the system. Know almost nothing about that.
I guess the biggest issue is that the Mobo uses a DC power input, so my best guess is grabbing a 330w ac-dc power adapter and a 400w hdplex dc-atx psu.
And then get some help with the wiring.
Do I sound like a nut? Or is any of this remotely possible?
Would much appreciate any input whatsoever

Reactions: ejectbutton

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That motherboard does not have a PCI-E slot, so I am not sure where you are going to plug in the 1080.

Ducky

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
As far as I'm aware, a m.2 slot is essentially just a 4 pin pcie, so I was going to get a converter, as I said above, and plug the GPU into the m.2.
Sorry, i know the post isn't all that organized.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
As far as I'm aware, a m.2 slot is essentially just a 4 pin pcie, so I was going to get a converter, as I said above, and plug the GPU into the m.2.
Sorry, i know the post isn't all that organized.

Sorry I did miss that part. Looking closer at the motherboard one M.2 is for the wifi adapter and the other is for SATA M.2 SSD it does not run through the PCI lanes.The Asrock one does support M.2 PCI.

In the Q & A section it looks like this Silverstone Power brick is designed for Mini-STX boards and works with the Gigabyte.

Last edited:

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
I don't think the cooler you're looking at is going to do all that well with a 7700K. If you have to use something that small I think you have a better chance of workable temperatures under load with something like an ITX30

ejectbutton

Caliper Novice
Mar 15, 2017
I support this, for sure, but there are a lot of potholes to avoid. And yes, you are crazy. The good kind though.

Talking from experience with an underway but very, very troublesome gamecube build, that 1080 is absolutely not possible. Most ITX graphics cards don't fit. The Gamecube's longest dimension, from front to back I/O, is 160mm, baaarely fitting an EVGA or Zotac 1050 ti. You might be able to figure something out to shorten the cooler shroud, but PCB cutting is a long shot, borderline impossible.

Additionally, you're going to have to solve the problem of powering the graphics card on top on the motherboard. Not impossible, but very difficult to fit in the case, especially if you want to go for an internal solution. 120W is not going to cut it, especially with those components.
That motherboard takes 19V and graphics cards take 12V, so you'll need some kind of converter.

On top of that, you'll need somewhere for both the cpu and gpu fans to breathe, and the two vents on either side of a GC aren't going to cut it, especially for parts as hot as a 7700K and a 1080. That's a recipe for a good old fashioned throttle. If you really need the extra threads, go for a 7700T. That'll work, the TDP is plenty low.

One other thing, unless you get rid of the carrying handle, back I/O is going to be nonexistant. Find some way to get USB down an inch lower and grab a good m.2 wifi adapter.

Second to last thing, again from experience, m.2 to pcie is a pain in the ass. It's definitely possible, but don't think that cheap Chinese adapter you see on amazon will cut it. It will be more expensive than you think.

Finally, BEWARE SMALL CPU COOLERS! They all seem like they're gonna fit, but then your dumb STX board will have too many obstructions too close to the cooler. Yours looks a bit tall, but probably will avoid obstructions. Just play it safe and avoid coolers that take up any amount of real estate beyond the minimum.

You're journeying into some unforgiving ground here, best of luck to you.

Reactions: rcodi

Ducky

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Sorry I did miss that part. Looking closer at the motherboard one M.2 is for the wifi adapter and the other is for SATA M.2 SSD it does not run through the PCI lanes.The Asrock one does support M.2 PCI.

In the Q & A section it looks like this Silverstone Power brick is designed for Mini-STX boards and works with the Gigabyte.

Yeah, good catch, I just couldn't find anything online about whether or not it would work, but that's a safer bet, since the asrock explicitly stated it.. so probly have to go with the asrock since I really want a dedicated GPU.

I don't think the cooler you're looking at is going to do all that well with a 7700K. If you have to use something that small I think you have a better chance of workable temperatures under load with something like an ITX30
Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't check specs but the itx30 does look to be a bit slimmer even.

Ducky

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
I support this, for sure, but there are a lot of potholes to avoid. And yes, you are crazy. The good kind though.

Talking from experience with an underway but very, very troublesome gamecube build, that 1080 is absolutely not possible. Most ITX graphics cards don't fit. The Gamecube's longest dimension, from front to back I/O, is 160mm, baaarely fitting an EVGA or Zotac 1050 ti. You might be able to figure something out to shorten the cooler shroud, but PCB cutting is a long shot, borderline impossible.

Additionally, you're going to have to solve the problem of powering the graphics card on top on the motherboard. Not impossible, but very difficult to fit in the case, especially if you want to go for an internal solution. 120W is not going to cut it, especially with those components.
That motherboard takes 19V and graphics cards take 12V, so you'll need some kind of converter.

On top of that, you'll need somewhere for both the cpu and gpu fans to breathe, and the two vents on either side of a GC aren't going to cut it, especially for parts as hot as a 7700K and a 1080. That's a recipe for a good old fashioned throttle. If you really need the extra threads, go for a 7700T. That'll work, the TDP is plenty low.

One other thing, unless you get rid of the carrying handle, back I/O is going to be nonexistant. Find some way to get USB down an inch lower and grab a good m.2 wifi adapter.

Second to last thing, again from experience, m.2 to pcie is a pain in the ass. It's definitely possible, but don't think that cheap Chinese adapter you see on amazon will cut it. It will be more expensive than you think.

Finally, BEWARE SMALL CPU COOLERS! They all seem like they're gonna fit, but then your dumb STX board will have too many obstructions too close to the cooler. Yours looks a bit tall, but probably will avoid obstructions. Just play it safe and avoid coolers that take up any amount of real estate beyond the minimum.

You're journeying into some unforgiving ground here, best of luck to you.

Ah, eject button, the man, the myth; the legend? Lol I've read through your build a couple times.
As for the 1080, I know it won't fit without a lot of modification, but I was considering building a custom chassis, and hanging the ports out of the back a bit, and possibly mounting it under the motherboard? I can't remember if that ever worked out for you, but I figure with a riser cable it could work, then cut ventilation in the bottom? Idk, just throwing ito some ideas.
Also I was never planning on 120w, that was just someone's suggestion, I figure I need at least 300w.
Hard to find an m.2 to pcie, any suggestions?
Lol it's already been a long process with all the research and searching for parts, but I really appreciate the input.

On a bit of a side note, does anybody know if a custom water cooling loop for the CPU would be viable? I've seen small form factor components, but I've never built my own loop.
Thanks again everyone for the input.