G-unique DiY stuffs \\Internal psu for S4m skyreach\

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
it is a year ago project for S4mini skyreach ,to build a 600watts internal psu (Gstick)with special version arcdaemon direct plug,full customed cables set.

G-stick 600watts 12Vso internal psu with modular connector,size is 24cm Length, 5cm width ,3.6cm thickness,mount behind the front bezel of S4m skyreach.Gstick is certificated with 80plus platinum,it works 93%eff under 220Vac at full load and 1.5-2% lower under low line input.another ultimate modded Gstick may achieve up to 94.5% eff 220Vac-in.

the internal psu is designed to achieve totally 12V50A output current capability,mostly the psu is passive cooled by the case,and it has its own very silent temp controlled fan,the fan sucks cool air from motherboard side then expel the hot air to the gpu side,if the Gstick if still hot,the fan will keep rotating for a while even the pc is turned off till temp cooled down.

all cables are connectted via XT60,XT30,etc.by pressing the power switch the Gstick can run as a multi 12V output external brick to pair with standard type archeamon plug

ac input extension cable,one end mount onto the rear of case,one end connect to the Gstick:

mounting point to the front bezel:

special designed archdaemon direct plug version for Gstick,it acts like a 12Vso convertor to 24pin ATX.it accept 12Vsb from Gstick then convert to 5Vsb for usual ITX motherboard,then control the Gstick to start up 12V main power via PS-on signal,also provide the 5V ,3.3V,-12V rail.and this version archdaemon plug help you to show off my favorite KEMEM polyer tatanium capacitors by facing front.

insert the XT30 and micro Tplug for archdaemon and cpu power:

insert the XT60 cables for GPU:

then simply mount the Gstick to the front bezel by 4 M3 screws:

and finish the rest of hardware installation like usual:

by changing the mount conversion plate ,Gstick can be install to other case,or just make a more compact and tiny custom case with it.all cables are able to custom made.

Gstick for A4 style case with 120 AIO layout:

Gstick beside GPU:

very simple structure:

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
sorry for the noob question as I don't have much technical knowledge in electrical engineering. but this stick is equivalent to a HDPlex AC-DC + DC-ATX combo right?

I think a lot of people would be lining up to buy this stick, myself included, as it opens up 120 AIO for sandwich style case with high wattage (600W), neatly filled the GPU chamber and no external brick.

great work!

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
sorry for the noob question as I don't have much technical knowledge in electrical engineering. but this stick is equivalent to a HDPlex AC-DC + DC-ATX combo right?

I think a lot of people would be lining up to buy this stick, myself included, as it opens up 120 AIO for sandwich style case with high wattage (600W), neatly filled the GPU chamber and no external brick.

great work!
you are so right

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
I was looking at your other threads earlier today and wondering where you are up to with PSU designs. Are these GaN power supplies? Also what sort of size could you achieve with a 200w design?

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
I was looking at your other threads earlier today and wondering where you are up to with PSU designs. Are these GaN power supplies? Also what sort of size could you achieve with a 200w design?
they are based Si mosfet and SiC diode.
239usd for current build,maybe you may spend another 100usd for adding GAN device to boost about 1% efficiency?

Last edited:

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
That's really interesting, I don't know much about power supplies, I was just assuming they had to be GaN for size. Comparing to Meanwell's commonly available PSUs your seem a lot more powerful for their size. Is it just the way you lay out the components?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
That's really interesting, I don't know much about power supplies, I was just assuming they had to be GaN for size. Comparing to Meanwell's commonly available PSUs your seem a lot more powerful for their size. Is it just the way you lay out the components?
I do not know anything about power supply design (or any electrical design, besides one class I took over a decade ago).
I would think that the Meanwell power supplies are designed for many applications, and with a high factor of safety. The G-Unique power supplies are purpose designed for a single application, and likely do not have as many factors of safety built in, because it is assumed the end user will use it for the very specific purpose it was designed.

By making a device purpose designed it can be made smaller. Also, it is more expensive and likely has higher quality components.