Future Low Profile GPU

txporter

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 1, 2020
Is there a place to look for low profile gpu news? I have tried searching for upcoming low profile gpu releases, but I am not having any luck finding anything. I am basically just wanted to see if there are any plans for low profile card releases in the next year or two.

Thanks!

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I'd like to know as well.
unfortunately low profile gpus tend to come a bit late after a new release. don't expect anything newer than the gtx 1650 for a while.
There is rummors of the 3000 series of nvidia rtx cards comming soon, but its for the high end, so I don't think they will refresh their lower end sku that soon. the 1660 ti for example its just, what, a year old?
even on the workstation cards, we are already a couple of years on the p1000 for quadro and wx 4100 for the radeon pro lineup.

I'd say to have a look at the 'rumor' outlets that follow leaks and other new ons gpus and cpus but even that might have you empty handed. as lower end skus dont tend to make it to the news
sometime they just 'show up'.

on amd side of the gpu news, I dont know much honestly.

edit - theres only the gtx 1650 as low profile, not the super.

it would be super nice tho *pun intended*

txporter

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 1, 2020
I 100% agree about the 1650 super. I just built in a ML06-E and would have loved to have a super rather than a straight gtx 1650 low profile.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
We have been following this quite closely in the 1650 thread, but I would say there is really nothing coming soon that isn't already out there.
Having recently purchased the ASUS 1650 I can say it is a significant upgrade over the old Gigabyte 1050ti I had in terms of quality, cooling, and fan control.

Although not available in the USA, I was able to purchase on Amazon.de and had it delivered to my door for a total of $164, which I thought was reasonable.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I would say there's nothing to look for until there is a new GPU announced around the 75W mark - anything above that and you'd both need a power plug on board + cooling would be a significant challenge. If AMD ever gets around to launching an RX 5400 or 5300 it would probably show up in LP form, but it will also likely perform pretty much identically to the 1650. And Nvidia won't have anything new until Ampere launches, with low-end parts typically being among the last launched for any architecture.

txporter

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 1, 2020
Thanks for the added information. I did purchase a gigabyte geforce gtx 1650 lp 4gb for my ML06-E. It is really plenty of card for me since I don't really do a whole lot of gaming. My son is going to college next year, and I am just pulling together information on what is available. He currently has a mid-tower gaming system, and I thought it might be nice to send him with a much smaller footprint for college. I think that he and I may have a different opinion on what is necessary for the computer setup though ?.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks for the added information. I did purchase a gigabyte geforce gtx 1650 lp 4gb for my ML06-E. It is really plenty of card for me since I don't really do a whole lot of gaming. My son is going to college next year, and I am just pulling together information on what is available. He currently has a mid-tower gaming system, and I thought it might be nice to send him with a much smaller footprint for college. I think that he and I may have a different opinion on what is necessary for the computer setup though ?.
Sounds good :) Btw, if you find a nice sandwich-style case there are some seriously compact options out there that don't limit you to low profile GPUs. Check out some of Custom_MOD's cases, for example - how does 6.3l with an SFX-L PSU and GPU up to 183mm sound? There are design threads for most of their cases over in the Concepts & Custom Projects subforum, and @sergiiua seems to be their representative here. There are of course a bunch of other options too, that was just what popped into my head right now :)

txporter

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 1, 2020
Valantar-

Thanks and you are of course correct. There really are a lot of vertical case options and that is really the right way to go for small with fewer compromises. I really am the one with the desire for/fascination with small horizontal cases. I have also seen the horizontal styles like the Node 202, but having the gpu fans point to the bottom of the case when I do intend (for myself) to lay it flat just seems like a bad idea to me.

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Dec 29, 2017
I have a general question, seeing the title of that thread.

May this be the end of LP GPUs, due to all that hardware shortage and those inflated prices? I mean, manufacturers are focusing on getting standard height GPUs made, probably?! Additionally, LP GPUs are a bit niche anyway. Dont get me wrong, I love those eventhough they come with a price premium in comparison to the standard msrp of their full hight single/double fan equivalents. And they release 6 months and later after the inital release.

I just see those wonderful cases like the J-Hack Pure Mk2 but Im asking myself, if it is really worth it looking into LP GPUs anymore in the future?!

Cheers

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I have a general question, seeing the title of that thread.

May this be the end of LP GPUs, due to all that hardware shortage and those inflated prices? I mean, manufacturers are focusing on getting standard height GPUs made, probably?! Additionally, LP GPUs are a bit niche anyway. Dont get me wrong, I love those eventhough they come with a price premium in comparison to the standard msrp of their full hight single/double fan equivalents. And they release 6 months and later after the inital release.

I just see those wonderful cases like the J-Hack Pure Mk2 but Im asking myself, if it is really worth it looking into LP GPUs anymore in the future?!

Cheers
The real issue is the lack of sub 75W GPU. Neither AMD nor Nvidia seem to be interested in low-power GPU (except the pricey and PRO focused RTX A2000). Lets wait for Intel real dGPU to see what happens (the DG1 doesn't count as it was an iGPU dropped on a PCB).

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The real issue is the lack of sub 75W GPU. Neither AMD nor Nvidia seem to be interested in low-power GPU (except the pricey and PRO focused RTX A2000). Lets wait for Intel real dGPU to see what happens (the DG1 doesn't count as it was an iGPU dropped on a PCB).
Yeah, I agree there, though I would also agree that the shortage will always hurt niche products first (unless they are very high priced/high margin niches).

We still haven't seen a new 75W GPU since the 1650, and that was by itself an underwhelming and disappointing update on the 1050. The massive efficiency of new GPUs like the RX 6600 make me hopeful for the potential for new 75W SKUs (especially with AMD's narrow memory buses allowing for very dense packaging, which should fit HHHL boards well) but I don't see these coming until parts supply is better. Making a smaller die doesn't alleviate supply when you're constrained by VRAM and VRM components, after all.

Reactions: Mark13

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Dec 29, 2017

Yeah, I agree there, though I would also agree that the shortage will always hurt niche products first (unless they are very high priced/high margin niches).

We still haven't seen a new 75W GPU since the 1650, and that was by itself an underwhelming and disappointing update on the 1050. The massive efficiency of new GPUs like the RX 6600 make me hopeful for the potential for new 75W SKUs (especially with AMD's narrow memory buses allowing for very dense packaging, which should fit HHHL boards well) but I don't see these coming until parts supply is better. Making a smaller die doesn't alleviate supply when you're constrained by VRAM and VRM components, after all.

Well, some thought that the 1650 was a fine update, offering +20-25% of performance increase (to the 1050Ti though) but I would have liked to see more myself too. Good 75W GPUs should be selling like hot cakes because the majority got either a budget restriction or/and a PSU restriction. I think most people are still gaming in the lower end and mid range GPU categories. But still, there might be the possibility that 75W GPUs and therefore LP GPUs might get even more niche or die out because after that shortage no one wants to go back to make them and consumers now are used to buy "higher grade" GPUs and fork that kind of money out for that.

Only time will tell I guess

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Lets wait for Intel real dGPU to see what happens (the DG1 doesn't count as it was an iGPU dropped on a PCB).

More and more signs point to their lowest end Arc GPU being a 75W card. I'm not expecting too much performance because it is their first GPU release, but beating the 1650 should be realistic! Also more and more rumors about Nvidias 3050(ti) but I think they'll get a power usage of more than 75W so LP is very unlikely.

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
The RX 6600XT is a great 1080p card... but hearing the rumors of Navi 24 (RX 6500) I don't expect a good 1050 Ti replacement (64bit/16MB infinity cache). I hope Intel's 75W card will have LP versions. Somewhere a little above 1650 Super performance with 8GB... would be great.