Further downsizing my HTPC (7.2L to 2.9L)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
I’ve been using a silver Dancase A4-SFX v1 for a few years now. The build mainly utilized leftover components from upgrading my main gaming pc.

A4-SFXv1 vs F1C:

Daily driver in the background :)

A closer side by side:

Original HTPC
Case: Dancase A4-SFX v1
CPU: Pentium G4600
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
MB: Gigabyte Z170N
Ram: Corsair Vengence LPX 16gb 2400
Storage: 500gb SSD
GPU: MSI GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: Silverstone SX450
OOD: Slim BD drive in an external closure

The main reason I want to redo my HTPC is to combine the A4-SFX and the external optical drive. After a couple years of use, I have not once fully utilized the GTX 1050Ti. For our usage, the iGPU will be more than enough. I also wanted to change the case color to black to go better with my other home theater components.

The new HTPC
Case: Streacom F1C EVO
CPU: Pentium G4600
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
MB: Gigabyte Z170N
Ram: Corsair Vengence LPX 16gb 2400 is downgrade to 8gb, if I can use the 16gb kit somewhere else
Storage: 500gb SSD
GPU: none
PSU: HDPlex 160w or G-Unique 300w
OOD: Slim BD drive

As you can see, I am keeping most of the parts, but do plan to downgrade some components that are not well for me. I have a two nanoATX PSU units sitting around, but I’m still trying to decide which PSU to use. I feel that the latching connector (between the brick and 24pin board) on the G-Unique may be better at preventing accidental power disconnect. Being able to have the slot load ODD being part of the pc is much nicer for a HTPC set up. I also added the Streacom IR kit.

I will be adding build / progress pictures in the near future.

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Here’s checking fitment with the HDPlex160...

I even drilled a hole for the power plug.

After that, I realized that the HDPlex 160 is too tall for the optical drive mounting plate.

So I switched to the G-Unique 300w unit. The power plug is different enough that I needed to find another way of mounting it to the case. I drilled two hole, and filed the rest of the opening. It's just large enough for the 8pin to fit through.

I got most of the components in the case...

The G-Unique kit is pretty amazing. It’s tiny. I was able to clean up the cables a bit. Now I just have to wait for a correct SATA to Slimline SATA adapter to arrive. The one I ordered was the exact opposite connector gender than what I needed.

More to come...

Reactions: petricor

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
That GUnique has some serious power for your little Pentium :)

How big is the external power brick?

I'd be curious if you really need that 40mm case fan in there or not.

Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
That GUnique has some serious power for your little Pentium :)

How big is the external power brick?

I'd be curious if you really need that 40mm case fan in there or not.
Haha, yeah. The brick is Gury’s modded Dell 330w AC adapter. I have it sitting around, so “sunk cost” is cheaper than purchasing a Pico. :)
Good call in regards to the 40mm fan, I’d agree that it is probably not needed. I figure some way to move air out of the case might be good since the optical drive sits directly on top of the L9i. I’ll have to run some thermal tests to see if the L9i is choked.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Haha, yeah. The brick is Gury’s modded Dell 330w AC adapter. I have it sitting around, so “sunk cost” is cheaper than purchasing a Pico. :)
Good call in regards to the 40mm fan, I’d agree that it is probably not needed. I figure some way to move air out of the case might be good since the optical drive sits directly on top of the L9i. I’ll have to run some thermal tests to see if the L9i is choked.
One of my favorite things with SFF systems is playing around with fan combination and direction to see what gives best thermals. Sometimes it isn't intuitive.

Reactions: Nanook