Power Supply FSP Mini Flex Guru FSP500-50FDB 500w PSU

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
At this point, I think maybe a TFX PSU is more fitting. It's unfortunate we are not seeing any good 150mm TFX units with at least 400W. The fan size of 80mm is a game-changer in terms of acoustic performance.

Isn't TFX bigger than SFX? I've not seen many case designs where TFX would fit.

Dem0nflare

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
On the Sff case list there where 3 from a brand i never herd of lol. At that point though you could get the 400w DC-DC that runs cooler then Flex.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
For SFF I think combining the Meanwell 500 with a powerful DC Atx is the best solution. The meanwell can run passive up to 350w and if you have a good ventilated case you can push it even further.

Reactions: smitty2k1

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Isn't TFX bigger than SFX? I've not seen many case designs where TFX would fit.

Per TFX spec they are bigger than SFX, yes, but there are some units shorter than 175mm, then you are looking something comparable. But probably in this scenario it's still better to use a more common SFX. The point of TFX is that it's enabling some interesting layouts, I guess.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Per TFX spec they are bigger than SFX, yes, but there are some units shorter than 175mm, then you are looking something comparable. But probably in this scenario it's still better to use a more common SFX. The point of TFX is that it's enabling some interesting layouts, I guess.

I would love to see a FLEX sized psu but with a 8010 fan. Basically imagine a MINI TFX. We did something like this for an industrial 1U power supply some years ago because the customer wanted to get rid of the noisy 40mm fan. We had to mount the fan on top because the internal layout wouldn't allow to put it inside. But I guess this should also be possible as you could design the heatsinks much smaller and lay some of the components flat if using an airflow concept like this.

Reactions: riba2233

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
I would love to see a FLEX sized psu but with a 8010 fan. Basically imagine a MINI TFX. We did something like this for an industrial 1U power supply some years ago because the customer wanted to get rid of the noisy 40mm fan. We had to mount the fan on top because the internal layout wouldn't allow to put it inside. But I guess this should also be possible as you could design the heatsinks much smaller and lay some of the components flat if using an airflow concept like this.

Slapping a 8010 fan on a Flex ATX and getting something in the ballpark of 80x50x150 (0.6L) already sounds nice, wouldn't require the internals re-layout, I guess.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Slapping a 8010 fan on a Flex ATX and getting something in the ballpark of 80x50x150 (0.6L) already sounds nice, wouldn't require the internals re-layout, I guess.

That's basically what we did. Cut a hole on top of the chassis and made a bracket to mount the fan onto the PSU. Unfortunately that wouldn't fit in most enclosures which support FLEX (afaik). Else I could easily make some top cover like that for a couple of popular Flex PSUs.

Reactions: morj

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
look what I found... FSP ATX180-50HUC

unfortunately only 180W

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Just an idea, but did someone ever consider to use a 60mm fan on FLEX PSUs using some 60mm to 40mm adapter like this:

Sure, it would look funny having that stick out at the back of your case but it would definitely help to keep the PSU cool and silent.

I did but with a ghetto duct made out of a plastic foil and then plasti dipped:

Along with a 60mm Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro fan

And attached to the Flex PSU with magnet strips:

The case was just big enough to let me offset the PSU toward the front though, which is not always an option.

More pics in my MiniCube build, see sig, still working well and almost totally silent.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I did but with a ghetto duct made out of a plastic foil and then plasti dipped:

Along with a 60mm Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro fan

And attached to the Flex PSU with magnet strips:

The case was just big enough to let me offset the PSU toward the front though, which is not always an option.

More pics in my MiniCube build, see sig, still working well and almost totally silent.

Looks good to me. HP also couldn't do it better. ;)

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
@BaK Definitely seems like you are onto something here. How is the noise?
The 60mm fan is connected to the motherboard CPU header and reacts to CPU load. Which means the fan spins faster each time the CPU reaches 100%, even if it's only for a very short time. This is probably overkill but I set it up like that years ago thinking it was the safest way to keep the PSU at low temps without any other way to monitor it.
I had in mind to change that and link it i.e. with CPU temps, but I never did. Knowing I am much picky with noise, this probably tells the system is indeed very quiet. I can say I don't hear it unless I focus on that, and then a really low hum can be heard I guess (the case is behind my monitor). Because of the CPU load I also sometimes notice the fan increasing speed for a while, but that's still low level noise, nothing to compare to what a Flex does in general.

Looks good to me. HP also couldn't do it better. ;)

Haha yeah! My solution has at least a little angle on top to let the air go down reaching the PSU! (Probably doesn't change a lot actually)

Reactions: REVOCCASES