Formula 2s from taobao

hereforthefeast

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
Finally arrived. This case is basically a mix between a Ghost and Velka 3. I will update with more pics.

All the hardware:

Quality internal work:

Clicky power button:

Button placement is in the back above the gpu bracket:

Silver wire cables absolutely necessary:

No wiggle room:

Wiring all finished:

Gigabyte RTX 2060 mini has a zero rpm fan mode which seems to shut off around 50C:

Top bracket to secure the side panels without any exposed hardware:

Feet included. Bottom intake for psu / a 2.5 ssd can also be mounted on either sides:

Top plate, very flush fitment:

Last edited:

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
Would be good to see noise levels on this one, my concern with those PSU's is fan noise still, even with noctua fan mods though they then seem to run real hot, as the stock fans are noisy as they run a a squillion RPM to move loads of Air. Nearly went a Velka 3 for my server (processing not NAS) instead of the ML05 but the PSU noise was the deciding factor.

hereforthefeast

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
Would be good to see noise levels on this one, my concern with those PSU's is fan noise still, even with noctua fan mods though they then seem to run real hot, as the stock fans are noisy as they run a a squillion RPM to move loads of Air. Nearly went a Velka 3 for my server (processing not NAS) instead of the ML05 but the PSU noise was the deciding factor.
From initial testing, most of the noise is coming from my cpu cooler fan. I haven't been able to hear anything from the flex psu yet, the noctua fan is practically silent - I'm more concerned that it's adequately cooling the psu.

hereforthefeast

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
Do you know if a regular Enhance 600W PSU would fit as well?
What's the difference between the silver wire cables and regular cables?
It should since it's the same size as the the Enhance 450W I installed.

Silver wire cables don't have any sleeving and the gauge of the internal wire may be different as well.

AcatFormula

Cable Smoosher
Aug 26, 2019
Finished with v1 of this build - adding pics to the first post.

Planning to swap out the motherboard and also switching from the C7 to AXP-90 copper for better cpu temps.
AXP90 AL version is enough. CU version will not help on temp unless you like the look of copper.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Finished with v1 of this build - adding pics to the first post.
Planning to swap out the motherboard and also switching from the C7 to AXP-90 copper for better cpu temps.

How do you compare the quality of this Formula case with your Sunmilo C01?

hereforthefeast

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
I don't have one, but don't those PSUs exhaust toward the back, or does the fan actually blow INTO the unit?
haha this is what I get for not double checking my post. Yes you are correct, it exhausts out the back so the bottom vents are for intake.
How do you compare the quality of this Formula case with your Sunmilo C01?
Very close - both are very well machined with tight tolerances. The Sunmilo has a much simpler design though so the workmanship on the Formula case is more impressive.

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
been taking a closer look at my X1 case to prepare for a proper review. same as your observation, the metal work is of high quality, putting everything together and the core structure feels rock solid, the fitment is really on point, top panel sits very flush and the magnets are so strong that even when I turned the case up-side-down and shook quite violently it wouldn't move 1 bit. love those feet also, really clever design with the rubber rings too.

Reactions: hereforthefeast

hereforthefeast

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
Made a few changes for thermal performance:
  • Cryorig C7 alum replaced with AXP-90 cu dropped CPU temps by ~4C
  • Downclocking ram from 3200 to 2400 dropped CPU temps by another ~14C (I did not expect this much of a drop)
  • Mildly undervolting the 2060 dropped GPU temps by ~5C

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
  • Downclocking ram from 3200 to 2400 dropped CPU temps by another ~14C (I did not expect this much of a drop)
Do you think it is the CPU's internal Memory Controller that is working hard to keep the overclocked ram that causes a 14C temp difference?

WhitePlate

Case Bender
New User
May 31, 2020
Looks great! Do you have a link to the flexatx psu u got? I've been looking for a modular one with the cutouts on the bottom so it doesnt spit hot air into the case.