Log Anything to avoid gpu riser build, 3.7L. Brickless LLW V36pro, 12700K, Noctua L12S ghost and 4060 LP gpu.

Stifle

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Going to start recording my progress on hopefully a very dense, no GPU riser, brickless build in the LLW V36pro case.

Asrock z690 ITX
32gb ddr4 3600, no heatspreaders
Noctua L12s ghost edition with 120mm fan swap
Gigabyte 4060 low profile gpu, due sept 20th from Amazon.
HDPlex 250W GaN psu

I saw the potential for this combination a while back and have seen lots of possibilities to make it work. Without having all the parts together yet it's still a gamble on getting it all to fit inside the 3.8L case.

I started by picking up this case along with its smaller counterparts (v26, v21) for other APU builds eventually.
The V36pro case measures 223x182x82mm inside and the panels are all 3mm aluminum.
The case quality is very good, well thought out and clean. Only the milled blocks at the corners are obstructing the inside of the case. The case feels very solid and negate if it's design, is very friendly to panel modification or embellishment. I plan to put together some hardwood front panels eventually.

The CPU has proven to be very cool under load and responds well to a power limit, I rarely reach above mid 50s under normal use in its current home (ghost S1). I run CAD mostly on this unit. Trying to find my kill a watt meter to double check the wattage.

The cooler fits perfectly in this case with no modifications, even has 1mm clearance compared to the ghost case
Cooler is oriented vertically to give more space near the front/RAM side of the case as that is my preferred spot for the PSU.
120mm fan fits perfectly above ram and IO blocks. Orientation of the cooler will need to change if I cannot get the PSU to fit at the front of the case.

I bought the case and planned this build with an A2000 or eventually an A4000 SFF GPU in mind. Then the gigabyte 4060 Low profile was announced and I figured it would likely fit both the case and my needs even if I needed to trim the shroud a bit. At 182mm officially it fits. The orientation of the power connector should not be a problem. The only issue I see at this point is that the PCB may interfere with the PSU housing if it extends too far. This is the primary concern I have with this card. Gonna have to wait and see. Scaling a top-view of the card, assuming the length is 182mm to the end of the shroud, the PCB looks to extend to within ~17mm of the end of the shroud. this would possibly interfere with the end of the PSU as the housing is a few mm into the PCI-Ex slot zone. Gonna risk it and see how it turns out.
I may need to figure a different solution for the case screw-block at the upper corner to get the PSU as far as possible away from the GPU

The HDplex PSU up against the front panel is going to be the biggest challenge. Placing it in this location gives only about 6.5mm of space above the 24pin ATX header on the motherboard. I have a plan in place for that, waiting on parts. Other than the possible GPU interference that may require me to rebuild the case screw-block in that corner, I think this is all going to work out fine.

8/30
GPU is longer than 182mm. There is no way to get the stock card into the case without deshrouding it. So I will go in that direction for now. After deshrouding and placing the gpu in the case without a motherboard, looks like I have just about 24mm clearance between the case and the heatsink. The heatsink is flush after the shroud and fans are removed (4 screws+fan header).
Looks like I should be able to get the GPU in next to the PSU without too much trouble. I will need to recess one of the case screws that holds the top panel to the corner block so that the PSU can sit flush to the corner block, but with that it looks as though I will only have to reroute the AC line as it exits the PSU housing to make it all fit together. I may even get away with turning the end-cap 180 degrees to relocate the wire exit location...
Fan header looks to be a proprietary 4pin, i'm new to this so this (NEEDS WORK)
PRO: GPU fits with just enough clearance to make the argument for deshrouding with (2)80x25mm fans tight to the heatsink... a compelling argument.
GPU location should allow PSU to remain along the front panel with minimal effort/modification to make it work, very excited about this.
Case power button and USB header look to be able to clear the end of the GPU without trouble.
CON: Was not looking to deshroud the GPU right away, but it definitely is not going to fit unless I cut the shroud or remove it and replace fans.

9/9
Finally finished adjusting the mounting of the fan shroud on the gpu to reduce the overall length by ~2mm. I ended up drilling 4 new smaller holes after I taped off the pcb to avoid and shavings contamination. I also needed to clip the excess metal at the ends of the heatsink bracket near the screw holes to slide the shroud to the rear ~2mm. I also needed to remove a little material for the heatpipe and brackets to get closer to the end of the shroud. Now the gpu fits in the case with zero clearance. Very satisfying.

Bad news is the front panel button conflicts slightly with the shroud. I may be able to trim the stock power button pcb to allow the shroud to fit... or I may need to use a vandal switch instead of the supplied button as this conflict may not matter the next time a gpu comes up that will fit

To do:
-Seal fan housing to fin stack on CPU to improve pressure through the fins.
-Investigate how to cleanly replicate the hole pattern on the whole of the side panel and the back side along the GPU

k0n suggested that adding ventilation above and below the GPU area would help with thermals given the fin orientation on the GPU, I couldn't agree more, going to look into it.

Last edited:

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
the 3.7L case.

Riserless yet kind of thin is what I like about these LP cards... (the case must be 3.8L, or 3.79L?).

With how the finstack is oriented you should see great results if you mod the back of the case for flow through.

Can't justify getting this card for myself :/

Stifle

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Outside dimensions are 229x88x188mm=3.79L.
The back of the case is vented above the IO, but is otherwise solid.
I have entertained the idea of de-shrouding the GPU to add some 80mm fans as there is room for 2 on top and bottom of the case. I will add one 80x15 on top to vent CPU, but the other top fan will be blocked by the PSU most likely.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Placing it in this location gives only about 6.5mm of space above the 24pin ATX header on the motherboard

I'm assuming you are going to plug pins directly into the 24pin omitting the actual connector?

Stifle

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
I'm assuming you are going to plug pins directly into the 24pin omitting the actual connector?
I thought about plugging wires directly into the 24pin, but since this build will be moving almost daily, I decided instead to desolder the connections on a 90degree atx adapter and solder my wires to it.
Will likely need to heatshrink the hell out of it but that is the plan for now.
I also will need to rout the 24 wires behind the motherboard and back around to the hdplex unit

Reactions: morj

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 26, 2019
I just had to echo what you said in your title: anything to avoid goddamn mothereffing risers! I'm messing with a side-by-side build and god I hate the riser. I probably kind of half broke it trying to make proper bends to avoid the cable touching the GPU fans... It still works, but it's very temperamental...

Stifle

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Nothing like needing to rebuild your whole system when you update your bios and don't have any video out anymore and the sff case does not allow a normal gpu to plug in unless you pull the motherboard.

Reactions: loader963

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
CPU cooler / top panel , CPU cooler / PSU and CPU fan / RAM, perfect fit when bits touched! :thumb:
Sub'd!

Reactions: thelaughingman

Stifle

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
8/30 - GPU came in the mail, stripped it down to check clearances.
GPU is longer than 182mm. There is no way to get the stock card into the case without deshrouding it. So I will go in that direction for now. After deshrouding and placing the gpu in the case without a motherboard, looks like I have just about 24mm clearance between the case and the heatsink. The heatsink is flush after the shroud and fans are removed (4 screws+fan header).
Looks like I should be able to get the GPU in next to the PSU without too much trouble. I will need to recess one of the case screws that holds the top panel to the corner block so that the PSU can sit flush to the corner block, but with that it looks as though I will only have to reroute the AC line as it exits the PSU housing to make it all fit together. I may even get away with turning the end-cap 180 degrees to relocate the wire exit location...
Fan header looks to be a proprietary 4pin, i'm new to this so this (NEEDS WORK)
PRO: GPU fits with just enough clearance to make the argument for deshrouding with (2)80x25mm fans tight to the heatsink... a compelling argument.
GPU location should allow PSU to remain along the front panel with minimal effort/modification to make it work, very excited about this.
Case power button and USB header look to be able to clear the end of the GPU without trouble.
CON: Was not looking to deshroud the GPU right away, but it definitely is not going to fit unless I cut the shroud or remove it and replace fans.

Stifle

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Anyone have a good solution to shortening a gpu shroud by ~1mm without just cutting it off the end?
I was thinking of heating up the ABS at the end of the shroud and compressing it a little too change the angle at the end to be more square. that's all I have thought of so far...

Maybe cut and reglue the end cap part...

Maybe open up the screw holes or drill new ones on the heatsink bracket... so the shroud and fans can set a little farther back...

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Have you tried loosening your motherboard mounting screws a bit and pushing the board towards the back of the case as much as possible? There is usually some tolerance that may allow you to move things around a little bit.

Stifle

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Have you tried loosening your motherboard mounting screws a bit and pushing the board towards the back of the case as much as possible? There is usually some tolerance that may allow you to move things around a little bit.
Good idea, I know the io shield on the motherboard is really tight on this case. Unfortunately there is a hard 182mm inside dimension to the case that I need to get around

Stifle

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Currently working on the 24pin power connection. I only have 6mm of clearance above the header to the psu housing. So far so good on a flat cable coming out of the 24pin

Vic

Case Bender
New User
Nov 15, 2023
Any updates on this build? I'm really keen to do something similar, especially with the size, 250 GAN but deshroud the 4060. Also would be great to know what mobo you used to fit the L12s with 120 fan and what orientation? Thanks!

Reactions: the_onehassan

Capn Corny

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 13, 2023
I love builds like this, where the entire point is to avoid doing things a certain way. It looks really good! Reminds me of the time that I bandsawed an A2000 to fit it into a case that it ABSOLUTELY never should have been in...