Log FormD T1... need help

DreadRotblut

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Hey guys,

Rocking a 5600x with a 3080ti EVGA XC3 and a ek240 aio. I can get my temps under control even under volting and custom fan curves.

Looking for any advice you can give me.

Not sure what else I should include just let me know Thank You!

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Can you please give more details? like is the AIO as exhaust or intake?
what temps are you getting exactly and under which test? Is there a problem with the cpu temps? gpu temps? both?
Post some pics so we can look at how it looks.
And also some info, is this the first time you build a pc? Is there a possibility that some kind of noob error has ocurred? Or we should be focussing on more "difficult" problems.

Give us some more info. I don´t have a FormD T1 but happy to help.

Try one thing first. Max out all the fans (100% everything) and make some test, report temps here and lets see what can be wrong. Also answer all the above please :)

Reactions: BaK and rfarmer

DreadRotblut

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Okay! Thank you for the direction. At work as of now will try tests tonight.

A. Fans set in exhaust out the top.
B. Temps are 85-90 cpu temps while playing Snowrunner or Apex. 30-35% usage. Scared to run a stress test with those numbers already.
C. 4th or 5th build in a SFX case. Own an M1 and SSUPD as well. Build many ATX size pcs for relatives and friends
D. GPU temps are kinda high staying around 80C but nothing higher, I have read thats normal for that card tho.

Only 2 phots I have currently will upload more later.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Wow, that´s some high temps. I wouldn´t do a proper stress test either although it would trigger thermal protection and nothing would happen but still...

First use HMinfo or other software you like and see what voltages you have, just in case the MB is providing too much vcore for any reason.

If I were you I would first dissasemble the block to see if it was properly mounted, maybe there is a fluke in the thread and one side is not properly tightened or something like that?
If that is correct, I would put the fans the other way round (intake), or better still put the whole rad out of the case just in case the hot air of the gpu is heating the rad too much, monitor gpu temps and see what happens.

Reactions: rfarmer

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The two rad fans look very skinny to me, especially when compared to the thickness of the rad. They do not look like stock fans of the EK-AIO 240 to me. Stock fans are 25mm thick. Yours look like 12-15mm slim fans. If so, they are unlikely to have enough static pressure to push enough air through the fins.

Edit:- check the spec of the rad for fpi. I imagine, AIO rad usually does not have too high or too low fpi but rather middle of the pack. Even so, I doubt slim fans would have enough power to push air through.

Last edited:

DreadRotblut

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Update:

Removed and reapplied the CPU block. Did not look weird at all.

Just ran prime95 on it once back together for 30 min. Max temp is 86.3 but settled at ~76. Holding at ~3700 mhz Voltage was at like 1.1 but spiked to 1.4

All that with every fan in the PC at 100%

Yes Tiny its 2 NF-A12x15 fans

DreadRotblut

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Maybe I try to fit one bigger fan in there.

Just played snowrunner for 1hr CPU between 81-84, GPU ~81

Just went and set and even more aggressive curve on GPU so its basically 100% at 80.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
But those fans cannot be the problem.

I´m thinking that maybe what you are seeing is normal... I´ll explain myself.: When I had a 3700x, the temps where over the roof also, and couldn´t make it goo cooler unless I manual undervolt it, the problem being that the motherboard (the same as yours) give the cpu a lot of vcore when only one or two cores are needed, but then applied a lot less vcore when all cores are needed.
This could be the reason you are getting such high temps while playing, because the vcore on single threaded tasks can be like... 1.46v at times with clocks north of 4.500 mhz You can run one instance of prime 95 to check vcore, temps and clocks.

Being said this, I think that 3700 mhz is a bit low for an all core load. I have a 3950x on a ncase (liquid also) and can get almost 4.000 mhz with 1.1 volts and temps don´t go over 70 even after hours of rendenring with the GPU. This fact makes me think that something is not completely right. Make sure you are using the latest bios, because they improved the use of vcore, and thus lowering temps over time.

Reactions: thelaughingman

DreadRotblut

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Well I have done like several things

1. I swapped the ram from my other PC. (lower profile but also lower speed? 3200)
2. I reoriented the CPU block (see pic)
3. Added in a p12 fan into the mix.
4. Just ran a 30 min stress test the blend one: Below is a copy paste from the report it gives you if you save it.

Temperature 0 70 degC (157 degF) (Package (Node 0))
Voltage 0 1.02 Volts (CPU VDD)
Voltage 1 1.02 Volts (VID #0)
Voltage 2 1.05 Volts (VID #1)
Voltage 3 1.06 Volts (VID #2)
Voltage 4 1.04 Volts (VID #3)
Voltage 5 1.05 Volts (VID #4)
Voltage 6 1.04 Volts (VID #5)
Power 00 76.03 W (Package)
Power 01 7.65 W (Core #0)
Power 02 8.06 W (Core #1)
Power 03 7.66 W (Core #2)
Power 04 8.08 W (Core #3)
Power 05 7.89 W (Core #4)
Power 06 7.92 W (Core #5)
Power 07 46.90 W (Cores)
Clock Speed 0 3874.10 MHz (Core #0)
Clock Speed 1 3949.08 MHz (Core #1)
Clock Speed 2 3974.07 MHz (Core #2)
Clock Speed 3 3849.10 MHz (Core #3)
Clock Speed 4 3949.08 MHz (Core #4)
Clock Speed 5 3849.10 MHz (Core #5)
Core 0 max ratio (effective) 46.5
Core 1 max ratio (effective) 46.5
Core 2 max ratio (effective) 46.5
Core 3 max ratio (effective) 46.5
Core 4 max ratio (effective) 46.5
Core 5 max ratio (effective) 46.5

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
The two rad fans look very skinny to me, especially when compared to the thickness of the rad. They do not look like stock fans of the EK-AIO 240 to me. Stock fans are 25mm thick. Yours look like 12-15mm slim fans. If so, they are unlikely to have enough static pressure to push enough air through the fins.

Edit:- check the spec of the rad for fpi. I imagine, AIO rad usually does not have too high or too low fpi but rather middle of the pack. Even so, I doubt slim fans would have enough power to push air through.
BS, the noctua slim fans on the EK rad are more than fine, running my formd T1 with this setup on a 3950x along side my 6900XT on air with no temp issues like the OP,my max fan speed is also set to 70% on the rad as i hate noise.
OP looks to be running one slim noctua and one stock EK fan anyway now.

In your photos you have it upside down, I am going to assume you are not running your tests like this?

As for Rad setup, I went fans on the case side of the rad pulling air through the rad and out the case, this gave me the best results, albeit harder to get the rad into the case.

you may just have lost the silicone lottery aswell, that is a possibility that you got a hot chip, i had this with my R7 1700s, in identical systems one always ran around 8deg hotter than the other for the same workloads at the same time, tried changing coolers out and swapping them over, that one always ran hotter.

I would tweak the voltages till you are happy with max temps under a full load extended stress test, then go up a smidge as you will not likely be hitting 100% cpu load anyway, given your build doesn't seem workstation focused like mine, then run a gaming load and see how much head up you get from the gpu pumping air into the rad.
other option as others said, you could make the fans intake, this will remove the gpu hot air type issues.

my 2c anyways.

DreadRotblut

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Yeah not testing that way :p

My original set up was pretty much yours from what I can tell in the picture. Def just a game set up though. Just seems weird to me coming form my Ncase M1 where I have no temp issues.

I am starting to think I have a bad mobo or messed up the temp sensor.

May try and swapping in a an old b450 board I have laying around and see how that handles the temps.

I am very much at a loss have have torn this thing down 5 times kinda over it. May just put it back in my Ncase and find another use for the T1.

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
That sucks,
so same AIO, mobo and cpu in your M1 had no temp issues?
Odd. . .
only thing on that train of thought is, are your temps actually that high, how hot is the air coming off the AIO?
perhaps the pump in your AIO has gone a bit screwy? no kinks happening in the AIO lines?
I am sure you have checked all these things though.

only guess i can make is your gpu is dumping way more heat out than my 6900XT, though i would have imagined the other way around.

if you get the same kind of temp issues with both sides off and top panel off then something is a miss for sure.

DreadRotblut

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
That sucks,
so same AIO, mobo and cpu in your M1 had no temp issues?
Odd. . .
only thing on that train of thought is, are your temps actually that high, how hot is the air coming off the AIO?
perhaps the pump in your AIO has gone a bit screwy? no kinks happening in the AIO lines?
I am sure you have checked all these things though.

only guess i can make is your gpu is dumping way more heat out than my 6900XT, though i would have imagined the other way around.

if you get the same kind of temp issues with both sides off and top panel off then something is a miss for sure.
I took it out for now. Going to go back to the research phase and look for what I can do. Maybe switch to an air cooler! Returned the AIO already because I was mad!

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
I may be wrong and perhaps makes you do a lot of useless work but... the tube routing on @DrLeroy profile picture seems less stressful bend-wise. Sure the EK logo comes upside down but it couldn't hurt to try it (if possible) going under the block like him or even pointing up, arround the block, ram and so if the lenght of the tubes allows it. I'm talking nonsense here? 🤔

Reactions: thelaughingman