Log FormD T1 build | Kindly asking for help :)

NewUser11

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

When the COVID-19 pandemic started, I quickly bought a PS4 Pro to fill up some spare ours. After gaming a couple of hours I realised how much I missed gaming. This realisation triggered me to look into building a PC again. FYI my last build is about ten years ago. And on a daily basis for business I use Apple products. Anyhow, after some clicks on the web I ended up on Optimum Tech his YouTube channel and fell in love with mini ITX systems and the possibilities there are today. Simply because I hate big PC's and how they look in general. I'm into minimalistic design etc. So here I'm.. hoping you guy's are willing to help and/or assist me to get the right parts to build my dream T1 build, in particular the needed parts for water cooling the system.

Below you will find a overview of what I would like to run in the T1.
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K or AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
  • MB: Asus ROG Strix Z490-I Gaming
  • GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra gaming (pre-ordered one. Can still swap)
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32Gb (2X16Gb) 3200
  • PSU: Corsair SF750
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB (for OS) and another 1 or 2tb regular SSD
  • Cooling: Want to water cool the system, and preferably also the GPU. However, I don't think there is a waterblock available for the EVGA 3080's (yet)
Please guy's all feedback is more then welcome. And in particular I need help in finding the right parts for the water cooling system.

Cheers!

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
I assume you know that the Z490 board wont work for the Ryzen cpu.
I would advise sticking to al m.2 storage if you can in the T1, same as ive done in my A4, and when my T1 arrives will be doing the same.EK blocks for the EVGA XC3 are supposedly not far off according to their website gets a mention on the release page for the Tuf blocks)
Scroll down and you will read: "There are probably a lot of questions about other RTX 30 Series water blocks as well – for the AIB cards and Founders Edition especially. EK water blocks for EVGA XC3 Series graphics cards will follow in a matter of weeks, while the Founders Edition water blocks will take a bit longer since EK is preparing something really special for those graphics cards. "

Water cooling is my plan also, but it adds a lot of cost to the build, i.e. you could keep the GPU on air, and get one of the couple of 240 AIO's that fit for cheap, add some slim fans, and be done. or you can spend 4x the cost of the AIO if not more on the custom loop, for me in Australia, an AIO that will fit is around $180aud, all the custom parts for water cooling, going with the cheaper LT Solo pump block combo will be over $500 once a gpu water block is added in, closer to $600.
its already cost me $360+ for just parts for the CPU loop(3950x) while planning to keep my 1080ti under air for a while still (not getting a 3080/3090 till next year)

the Aquanaught pump/res/block combo solution from Nuvolo is looking promising for the T1: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/aquanaut-ultra-low-profile-cpu-pump-water-block.13009/

from what I have read, the TX240 is the best RAd to go with, its the thinnest, but it's wide so Slim Noctua fans must be mounted ontop in 'pull' rather than under the Rad. the Coolstream SE Classic (must be the classic) i the other good option I believe.

NewUser11

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
I assume you know that the Z490 board wont work for the Ryzen cpu.
I would advise sticking to al m.2 storage if you can in the T1, same as ive done in my A4, and when my T1 arrives will be doing the same.EK blocks for the EVGA XC3 are supposedly not far off according to their website gets a mention on the release page for the Tuf blocks)
Scroll down and you will read: "There are probably a lot of questions about other RTX 30 Series water blocks as well – for the AIB cards and Founders Edition especially. EK water blocks for EVGA XC3 Series graphics cards will follow in a matter of weeks, while the Founders Edition water blocks will take a bit longer since EK is preparing something really special for those graphics cards. "

Water cooling is my plan also, but it adds a lot of cost to the build, i.e. you could keep the GPU on air, and get one of the couple of 240 AIO's that fit for cheap, add some slim fans, and be done. or you can spend 4x the cost of the AIO if not more on the custom loop, for me in Australia, an AIO that will fit is around $180aud, all the custom parts for water cooling, going with the cheaper LT Solo pump block combo will be over $500 once a gpu water block is added in, closer to $600.
its already cost me $360+ for just parts for the CPU loop(3950x) while planning to keep my 1080ti under air for a while still (not getting a 3080/3090 till next year)

the Aquanaught pump/res/block combo solution from Nuvolo is looking promising for the T1: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/aquanaut-ultra-low-profile-cpu-pump-water-block.13009/

from what I have read, the TX240 is the best RAd to go with, its the thinnest, but it's wide so Slim Noctua fans must be mounted ontop in 'pull' rather than under the Rad. the Coolstream SE Classic (must be the classic) i the other good option I believe.

Hello DrLeroy,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. Appreciate it!

Regarding the MB and CPU choice. Yes I'm aware, but thanks for pointing it out though. The point you made about the storage makes sense. Why should a save a little amount of money while on the whole it's nothing. Plus, we are building mini mini so should stick to M2's right :) Anyway, thanks for pointing out the comment made by EK. And it's great the blocks for the EVGA GPU's will follow soon. Especially since I don't have to change my pre-order now.

So If I understand you correctly. You are suggesting me to build in the RTX 3080 as it is (without waterblock etc.) and use a NZXT 53 for example AIO instead? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

10900K Parts list so far:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gLfQ3t

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Parts list so far:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b4Jc6R

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Cheers!

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
Sorry didn't see your last post,
You can build however you like within your budget, Air-cooled GPU and an AIO for CPU seems a popular and well-working solution in the T1, As for which AIO's fit you will need to check the T1 thread, i belive there is a spreadsheet floating about.

As for Ryzen boards, I wouldn't bother with the X570-i strix, I have one. . . I would get the B550, in most areas it actually appears to be a better board, otherwise, the Aorus gets a pretty good wrap on the forum here. the Strix seems overpriced (at least in Aus) especially when its B550 counterpart gets WIFI6 and 2.5gb ethernet for $100+ less.
As for Memory, Ive used the Team Group Memory as well as the Corsair LP stuff, currently on a 2x32GB set of the Team group LP ram, TBH much better value here in AUS at least compared to the Corsair, same spec Corsair kit was a lot more expensive, there is a thread on the Team group memory on the forum somewhere also if you punch in the search, otherwise, the Corsair stuff is solid.

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
This may be what you are looking for RE AIO coolers:
I keep coming back to this myself as a potential part-time solution till i go for a new GPU, as for a low price one can get an AIO listed as fitting on this list (i belive the list means when using noctua slim fans etc though not the supplied fans) and keeping GPU on Air.

NewUser11

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
Sorry didn't see your last post,
You can build however you like within your budget, Air-cooled GPU and an AIO for CPU seems a popular and well-working solution in the T1, As for which AIO's fit you will need to check the T1 thread, i belive there is a spreadsheet floating about.

As for Ryzen boards, I wouldn't bother with the X570-i strix, I have one. . . I would get the B550, in most areas it actually appears to be a better board, otherwise, the Aorus gets a pretty good wrap on the forum here. the Strix seems overpriced (at least in Aus) especially when its B550 counterpart gets WIFI6 and 2.5gb ethernet for $100+ less.
As for Memory, Ive used the Team Group Memory as well as the Corsair LP stuff, currently on a 2x32GB set of the Team group LP ram, TBH much better value here in AUS at least compared to the Corsair, same spec Corsair kit was a lot more expensive, there is a thread on the Team group memory on the forum somewhere also if you punch in the search, otherwise, the Corsair stuff is solid.

No worries! And thanks again for you help. For now I've decided to stick with the 10900k. Unless the new AMD's are really that good as they just announced.. Regarding the RAM thanks for pointing that out. Will take a look.

NewUser11

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
This may be what you are looking for RE AIO coolers:
I keep coming back to this myself as a potential part-time solution till i go for a new GPU, as for a low price one can get an AIO listed as fitting on this list (i belive the list means when using noctua slim fans etc though not the supplied fans) and keeping GPU on Air.

Alright. I guess this should be it then?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XBrzK3

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (The Coolermaster looks better but I've heard the noise levels are higher on average?)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage OS: Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case Fan: Noctua A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan

devolv

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2020
I'm not sure if you would want to wait, but the AMD Zen 3 processors are coming out and the new 5900X or 5950X looks to be better than the 10900K in gaming. It's probably better to not buy just yet and see how the new processors affect the pricing of your choice of components.

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
I'm not sure if you would want to wait, but the AMD Zen 3 processors are coming out and the new 5900X or 5950X looks to be better than the 10900K in gaming. It's probably better to not buy just yet and see how the new processors affect the pricing of your choice of components.

^^^ What he says

NewUser11

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
@devolv I didn't know that the new Ryzens were going to be this good :) Or at least it looks like it. So it for sure changed my mind, and it seems like this will be my first PC with a Ryzen CPU instead of a Intel one (lol)

I've changed my parts list on a few spots:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory
Storage OS: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Doe anyone know if this this cooler fits in the T1 and if so, if it's any good --> https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml240-mirror/

Last edited:

NewUser11

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
@devolv I didn't know that the new Ryzens were going to be this good :) Or at least it looks like it. So it for sure changed my mind, and it seems like this will be my first PC with a Ryzen CPU instead of a Intel one (lol)

I've changed my parts list on a few spots:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory
Storage OS: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 OC 10G GAMING

Doe anyone know if this this cooler fits in the T1 and if so, if it's any good --> https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml240-mirror/

After reading multiple negative threads about the EVGA 3080 cards and in particular the card I had on pre-order. I was able change my pre-order to a ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 OC 10G GAMING.

devolv

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2020
@NewUser11 Yeah by no means am I saying that the new processors from AMD will surpass Intel yet in gaming, I think most of us are anticipating that they are but until we see actual reviews and comparisons in games to confirm. All I'm saying is that you may want to wait as this will 100% affect the current CPU pricing whether it's Intel or AMD, the shift will happen and if you buy now you definitely won't be getting the best deal and you'll experience some level of buyer's remorse in November.

I would double check the length and height of the coolermaster Radiator, whether it fits the T1.

NewUser11

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
@NewUser11 Yeah by no means am I saying that the new processors from AMD will surpass Intel yet in gaming, I think most of us are anticipating that they are but until we see actual reviews and comparisons in games to confirm. All I'm saying is that you may want to wait as this will 100% affect the current CPU pricing whether it's Intel or AMD, the shift will happen and if you buy now you definitely won't be getting the best deal and you'll experience some level of buyer's remorse in November.

I would double check the length and height of the coolermaster Radiator, whether it fits the T1.

If the predictions are as good as the actual numbers after the launch. I'm definitely copping a new Ryzen CPU instead of a Intel. Regarding the cpu cooler, the radiator seems no to be a issue. However, the pump height might be? Maybe someone can tell me more about this?