Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
2020-08-25: E-White T1 and Chrome Mesh Side Panels FTW!

We just paired the E-White T1 with Chrome Mesh Panel for fun and it looks surprisingly good.

That chrome looks so. fucking. good.
I might buy a second case now... but I'll wait for the P1, hopefully it will have this color combo because it looks so good

Reactions: DrHudacris

JRey

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2020
just curious- where is yours/@Navic's evidence of this?

i ask because there's nothing on the product page that mentions they are built for drones (but rather wifi adapters, routers, and devices), and some of the applications mentioned (bluetooth, zigbee) are also poor choices to use with drones. all examples of people using the product back when i bought them were with wireless equipment, and any site offering them lists them in the wireless/wifi antenna section instead of the drone antenna section.

i feel like this is the case where someone said something potentially incorrect, and now it's being passed around as fact. as someone that actually owns/uses the antennas though, i'd prefer to have a real answer from someone that actually has a technical understanding of the "drone antenna" issue and whether or not it's a problem with these.
As someone that used to build and race miniquads competitively, here's my take:

That linked antenna will be fine for computer use. As long as the antenna can transmit/receive the intended frequencies, it'll work fine.

As an FYI, an FPV antenna will most likely use ONLY a 2.4GHz or a 5.8GHz tuned antenna with a matching vtx to maximize signal strength and video range. 2.4GHz for longer range but lower quality video feed, 5.8GHz for higher quality video but less range. Most FPV equipment will use a 5.8GHz CP (RHCP or LHCP) antenna on the miniquad attached to a vTX (5.8GHz transmitter). The receiver will use either/a combination or a matching CP antenna along with a patch.
Can that antenna be used for FPV applications? YES. Will it be optimal? Nope.

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017

That linked antenna will be fine for computer use. As long as the antenna can transmit/receive the intended frequencies, it'll work fine.

As an FYI, an FPV antenna will most likely use ONLY a 2.4GHz or a 5.8GHz tuned antenna with a matching vtx to maximize signal strength and video range. 2.4GHz for longer range but lower quality video feed, 5.8GHz for higher quality video but less range. Most FPV equipment will use a 5.8GHz CP (RHCP or LHCP) antenna on the miniquad attached to a vTX (5.8GHz transmitter). The receiver will use either/a combination or a matching CP antenna along with a patch.

I am guessing that you can't get 5Ghz wifi from that antenna?

JRey

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2020
I am guessing that you can't get 5Ghz wifi from that antenna?

The linked antenna (Click Here) can get both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz signal. I'm just saying it's not a FPV specific antenna.

Technically, you can take any WiFi antenna and use it for FPV as long as it has a matching frequency to the transmitter/receiver. You can also mix RHCP and LHCP (Right/Left-Hand Circular polarization) with monopoles but then you'll get very bad video feed (crosstalk) if another pilot is using a frequency close to your transmitter frequency.

EDIT - I think the statement that this is an FPV antenna comes from the small form factor of the antenna. That’s not always the case. The only things that make an antenna “specific” (term used loosely) to FPV is the frequency range and the radiation pattern. The antennas are constructed and tuned to provide high gain within a small frequency range (5.8GHz +/-.2) within a certain radiation pattern.
In the case of that linked antenna, the tuning allows for both a 2.4GHz and 5GHz to ~8GHz frequency range. That already tells me its suited for home WiFi applications as the tuning is meant for broad usage instead of specific like FPV.

I can guarantee that most pilots will never use that antenna even for general FPV usage. There’s nothing worse than flying a miniquad going 60+ MPH only to have your antenna pick up a 2.4GHz signal and you lose video (either partially or completely.)

Last edited:

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019

Thanks! So it is in fact okay to use in a computer's motherboard. Good that is settled!
Now onto the followup, is a regular 5ghz router capable of communicating with the antennas at 5.8Ghz, ie in general 5ghz routers already encompass 5.8ghz frequencies OR do I actually need a router that supports 5.8gh specifically?

I think that plays a big part in choosing this taoglas antenna as one would be limited to 2.4ghz in practice, until 5.8Ghz becomes mainstream.

JRey

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2020
Thanks! So it is in fact okay to use in a computer's motherboard. Good that is settled!
Now onto the followup, is a regular 5ghz router capable of communicating with the antennas at 5.8Ghz, ie in general 5ghz routers already encompass 5.8ghz frequencies OR do I actually need a router that supports 5.8gh specifically?

I think that plays a big part in choosing this taoglas antenna as one would be limited to 2.4ghz in practice, until 5.8Ghz becomes mainstream.

Looking at this link, this is the wifi range used for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz in home usage.

In general, if a router says it can output 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi, just ensure you're using a compatible antenna and receiver that fits within the range of the link above.

As an FYI, I'm not as well versed in general WiFi, all my knowledge in this matter is from flying miniquads. If there's someone that knows the specifics of home router and wifi use, please chip in.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
That chrome looks so. fucking. good.
I might buy a second case now... but I'll wait for the P1, hopefully it will have this color combo because it looks so good

I'm right with you. I keep thinking that I'm going to buy another T1 when the full silver version comes out, but I know I need to wait for the P1, b/c I want to join that vertical case life. :cool:

Also, my wife is going to kill me if I keep buying "the last case for a while"...

Ashenfall

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2020
Are tolerances on panels tighter with E-White like it is even with Cerakote?

My case definitely demonstrates that T1's tolerances are so tight that even as thin as Cerakote is, some of the joints rub off (specifically the two front panel pieces, and where the top and bottom panels fit into the front panel). Certainly not a problem for my needs, since that's all internal anyhow so I don't care. But very interesting to see! And I thought my Ghost S1 had tight fits, hah

EDIT: OH and that chrome mesh <3
To be fair I've seen people say they lost the standard anodised finish due to the tight tolerances let alone applying another layer on top lol

Benihana

Average Stuffer
Sep 18, 2018
@Benihana Were you a test shipping candidate in Finland? Curious about the customs fees because as most things, my country isn't eligible for shipping and have to order it there (some day eventually). Did you need to fill the customs fee claims online as I've had before for some foreign orders outside of EU?
Sorry for the late reply, yes my order was held via customs and they requested an invoice rather than take the package value from the label so it ended up adding a big chunk (52 EUR) on top.

Raptor_N60

Caliper Novice
Nov 5, 2018
Ali from Optimum Tech just published a video about the new Barrow 17W CPU Water Block Pump Combo.
He gives the measurements at 2:55.
... That will probably not fit the T1 in CPU 3 slot mode.
I don't think it'll fit in the 2 slot GPU mode either. As per Ali's measurements, with fittings they are exceeding, although barely, the 70mm cooler height limit ?

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
You know what will fit instead? This:

Please see a doctor for erections lasting longer than 4 hours. But not me, I don't want to see that.

This was designed by me, and optimized by reddit user gible98, printed on an SLA. Consider it a prototype Still needs tweaking, top strut collides, front lid has to go on first instead of after (will fix this), and still not sure how to connect outlet to radiator.. I guess it'd have to be fittings only..but can't test that as the G1/4 didn't print well or something.

@Wahaha360 distro please!

JRey

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2020
You know what will fit instead? This:

Please see a doctor for erections lasting longer than 4 hours. But not me, I don't want to see that.

This was designed by me, and optimized by reddit user gible98, printed on an SLA. Consider it a prototype Still needs tweaking, top strut collides, front lid has to go on first instead of after (will fix this), and still not sure how to connect outlet to radiator.. I guess it'd have to be fittings only..but can't test that as the G1/4 didn't print well or something.

@Wahaha360 distro please!
Awesome stuff! Do you have any dB measurements? Can you describe the sound profile at various pump speeds?

TSOF

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 20, 2020

Ampere contingency planning.