Other Format Size Confusion

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I am stuck in the middle of what to do with my SFF kit at the moment.

I currently have a dedicated portable gaming rig as per my sig below: i5 4670K / Max VII Impact / GTX 970 / 8GB DDR3 / 500GB SSD + 500GB HDD all in an SG13.
I also have my 'dev' PC that is doing nothing particular, other than helping work out a [glacially slow] case build.
That's based on a Prime B250M Plus with G4500 (cheap test CPU) and my old GTX660 with a 4GB RAM stick.

It is in a part made 17L mATX case that's a sort of (very) ghetto NCase M1 / Necere's Sept 2018 mATX design which I am working on slowly.

I am going back into more photography and need to commit to an imaging platform for raw files - maybe Photoshop monthly sub (Grrrr) as it's what I know from the past. On that basis, I would like to put my effort into one platform and not duplicate kit that isn't being used every day.

My confusion is that part of me is happy with ITX and I have a strong interest in Dan's forthcoming C4 SFX, but the other part likes the multi M.2 mATX board with a PCIE slot to spare in not a lot more space.

To make the mATX rig suitable, I will need at least 16GB of RAM and an i5 CPU; maybe even a move to a Strix Z270G for using an unlocked i5.

If I do that, I am then 'stuck' in mATX land and would have to swap to ITX again for the C4... It's not a problem, but it's running round my head too much!

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
If your motherboard supports bifurication, you could find some sort of janky PCIe x16 to 2 x8 splitter and then dedicate 2 M.2s and 1 x8 for the GPU.

I would stick the Maximus VII in the Dan C4, and then treat yourself to a new GPU. The 4670k is hella good and overclockable, so yaay!

What we need is for motherboard manufacturers to stick a edge connector to the side of the board so we could shove on a PCIe device expansion card. Kinda like PCIe risers in servers.