Enclosure Looking for case suggestions

RedShot

Case Bender
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Hello, I am new to this forum and I am looking for some advice. I am looking for suggestions on cases for a small form factor build. My goal with this build is to have a PC that is has a small footprint and is rugged enough to handle an occasional transport to a friends house or LAN event. I do not need anything flashy or packed full of features just something sleek, clean and small. I am looking into a micro ATX build but I am not opposed to a mini ITX build if the mATX is too much. I like the mATX because I am considering going with two 1080 TIs. Here is a rough estimate of the parts (PCPartPicker Link). I can swap that CPU cooler and the power supply to something else if space is an issue. Let me know what cases you guys like for mATX and ITX boards. Also, I am not opposed to modding a case if there is a cheap option I can experiment with.

I like the look and features of the Cerberus case but I didn't know if that case is available yet.

Nice to Have:
**- Space for two full-length video cards
Edit: (I am open to suggestions for single card options as well and if I did that I might as well go with mini ITX right?)
- External USB 3 ports
- Ability to stand it up or lay it down
- Space for a single or dual 120mm all in one CPU cooler
- An option for a handle or the stability to add one myself
- All metal or mostly metal case

NOT Necessary:
- Lighting
- Window
- Hard Drive cage (I would probably use m.2 drives and an SSD or two)
- Additional watercooling

If you have any feedback on the parts that I picked let me know as well.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Dual 1080 Ti will be a _lot_ of horsepower for a build. A single Ti should be plenty for most "normal" use cases. Any particular reason you're considering SLI?

I mention it because there aren't a lot of smallish mATX cases out there - going single GPU will increase the possibilities manyfold.

If you are dead set on mATX, the Sugo 9/10 are kinda fugly, but on the smaller side of mATX at ~23 litres. www.silverstonetek.com

RedShot

Case Bender
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Well I am not opposed to looking into one single card. I know that does open options up. I was just tired of running modern games at lower settings just to get playable FPS. I am currently running a single 780 TI (I know its a few years old) and I am finding that I have to lower the graphics more lately. But like I said I am not opposed to looking into single card options for mini ITX. I did look at those the cases that are very thin and I was wondering if you lose performance by laying the card on its side and using a cable or bracket to connect it to the motherboard. So if you have any suggestions for small cases that are single card I'm all ears.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
According to futuremark, the 780 ti score is ~12k (1060 6GB is about 13k), the 1080 ti score is ~28k. I doubt you'd need to turn it down with a single 1080 ti unless you're running very high resolution on multiple monitors.

Given the looks and materials criteria, I'd be hard-pressed to suggest anything other than the NCase M1. There are other boutique projects available through members of this site, and you should check them out. Keep in mind that many of these projects have goals of being small first, so consider how you're going to cool your system and see if that might be an issue with each case. Contact the designers - many would be happy to answer your questions.

Mar 6, 2017
If you're okay with waiting (as in probably about 6 months), I can make you a case once I prove to myself I'm capable of it. I can probably do 8L with an external PSU.

Last edited: