Part Flexible PCIe risers

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
If someone has the possibility to measure the total height of the PCIe connector of a generic riser (contacts + green PCB + blue tape), as well as the minimum bending radius of the ribbon ?

I'm working with a 36mm high case and I have merely 12mm clearance above the PCIe slot.

Thanks !
The height of the "golden" contacts is 7mm, the green PCB part is 10mm and the cable ribbon needs around 4mm bend radius.
The blue tape offers no structural support whatsoever, so bending the ribbon down to 4mm and pushing on it further will likely break the contacts.

Reactions: aquelito

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks @blubblob.

Spotted on Compulab's Airtop PC :

Also note what seems to be a custom motherboard with an on-board 6-Pin power connector.
Really love the whole concept.

Last edited:

Eagle2508

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 23, 2017

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Just read about the riser cables from vary technology in this thread. How are they up to now? Thinking of getting a x4 to m.2 cable instead of the asus mini m.2 adapter

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I'm just about to start a new build and the last thing I need to decide on is a riser cable, I'm torn between the new Thermaltake Premium 3.0 and the 3M....

3M: https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/3m/8KC3-0726-0250/3M12028-ND/3641402

TT: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/300...-shielding-with-conducting-polymer-unique-cab

Have any reviews for the TT variety been done yet?

Riser cables seem to be a bit of a minefield....

Have also heard the TT ones were garbage. Look into the 3M, HDPLex, or Li-Heat. I personally have used an Li-Heat riser without issue.

Eagle2508

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 23, 2017
The old TT Risers were meant to be terrible but has anyone specifically heard anything about their new 'Premium' 3.0 cables?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
FTFY = Fixed that for you. I don't like Thermaltake as they often make very subpar products. I hate cheap shit.

Eagle2508

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 23, 2017
Ah ok, the TT Premium 3.0 is easily available for me in the U.K and the 3M would have to be ordered from the US and more expensive....

Has no one at all here tried the new TT cables? Would just go for the TT one if it works but don't want to end up wasting money if the new cables are still poor quality

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
HDPlex Cables are quite good and cost effective. I believe they have a warehouse in Germany that you can order from.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Yeah, I was actually going to buy the HDPLEX Riser cable (along with a 300W DC-ATX), but the cable was out of stock... I wanted to ask what folks thought was the 'next best' but didn't know if that was part of the discussion here.

I need a riser cable that is about 18cm long that is going to be run under my GPU, then turned 180-degrees and plugged into my card. There should be enough space for a 'soft' 180-degree bend. I've seen cables with boards that turns bends, but I think I saw in here that those should be avoided.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
I have never purchased a PCIe riser that runs a 75w part on its own before. I want to plug in a 1050ti (NO PIN input) and I need a PCIe riser that is 25cm - 30cm that reliably passes that power. Still looking, but can't find much info - if anyone knows anything - I truly would appreciate it.

If possible, I would like to avoid molex powered risers...I know, difficult, right?!

:thumb:

Reactions: yawacool and zovc

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
In another thread, @amitoza the guy that makes the CATZ cases linked to this Sintech riser that I haven't seen before. I'm a bit confused on the packaging. It says it includes 3 each of FFC cables of 10cm and 30cm lengths. But it appears that the ribbons are interchangeable. If you could buy the 30cm version for $19.99 that's a very good price for the length I think.

Last edited:

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
In another thread, @amitoza the guy that makes the CATZ cases linked to this Sintech riser that I haven't seen before. I'm a bit confused on the packaging. It says it includes 3 each of FFC cables of 10cm and 30cm lengths. But it appears that the ribbons are interchangeable. If you could buy the 30cm version for $19.99 that's a very good price for the length I think.

I saw that Sintech riser, but I have seen many mixed reviews. Your link takes me to an interesting article about Uber, however :)

Still on a search for something that can reliably power a 75w part without extra molex. May be forced to buy a card with a 6-pin power layout just to feel safe!