Other The HDPLEX Silicon flexible PCIe riser

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
I have this one and it has worked fine so far. It was a little bit cheaper than the alternatives I found.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...-speed-Flexible-Cable/825827_32628105932.html
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y0NIL72/?tag=theminutiae-20

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have this one and it has worked fine so far. It was a little bit cheaper than the alternatives I found.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...-speed-Flexible-Cable/825827_32628105932.html
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y0NIL72/?tag=theminutiae-20

I have this riser as well. Took three weeks to get it but it's worth the wait. Easy to bend and it holds its shape, perfect for my case needs so the card doesn't move much. I was able to get it into the S shape similar to the S4 Mini riser setup, even though it is roughly twice as long.

TunnelVision

Cable Smoosher
Apr 29, 2016
For a 250-300mm riser card is there a recommended alternative to 3M (expensive) and LiHeat (sold out in the type D configuration)?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
So I got a second riser from @hdplex to chain with my first one, just to see how good signal integrity was and whether it was a viable option for someone searching for an alternative to the 250mm 3M one.

Didn't work out, unfortunately. System booted very scarcely, never actually got into Windows itself to even check how many lanes the GPU was connected with.
Not sure whether the problem is the connection between the riser or the unshielded nature of the riser itself, but the first seems like a likely option. After all, there are five card-edge connections involved here. I'm not going to order a custom 300mm long one to test, though.

Arthondar

Efficiency Noob
May 30, 2016
Hi people, I know I’m new around here but I wanted to comment on this topic because the whole PCIe cable has been giving me a few headaches for the past 2 and a half years.

(Also, I apologize in advance for the long post, I tend to get a bit too verbose when I start typing…)

I have to say my experience with the HDPLEX cable has not been as positive as yours… I didn’t know about this cable until I read it in this thread so I went ahead and ordered one about a month and a half ago or so. Although it doesn’t matter much, I have to say it took unexpectedly long to arrive (considering the distance it had to travel it usually takes a few days for a package to arrive, not a few weeks…). But anyway, it arrived and due to work and other things I couldn’t test it till this past weekend. First things first, the cable itself looks well done, good quality and is super thin; at first glance everything seems great. But once I started testing it didn’t behave as I was expecting: it works, yes… but every single time it links at PCIe 3.0@x2. I haven’t been able to achieve a x16 link with this cable. Not a single time, and when I test these things I use 3 different motherboards and 5 graphic cards. I don’t know, maybe it’s just a faulty unit, I really wanted this cable to work, but seeing it running at what is basically PCIe 1.0@x8 sure was a disappointment, .

Considering that from the beginning I’ve been looking for cables with the intention of using it on a case that I’d like to manufacture and sell I’ve also bought and tested a few others over the past two years, so while I’m at it I’ll throw in a couple of comments:

A) I often see people comment on how the 3M is apparently “the best one out there”. Well, I have a 3M cable (it’s the first one I bought) and from my point of view is not “the best”, it’s THE ONLY ONE that really works as advertised. It works every time, all the time, at PCIe 3.0@x16 in every case without any issues. The performance and reliability are virtually identical to plugging the card directly to the motherboard. It’s server grade stuff and it shows (it also shows in the price, though). If I had to criticize something it’d be that the pcbs are green…

B) A lot of people seem to have the LiHeat cables in high regard, but in my case is more of a love-hate relationship. I want them to work properly, I really do: they are fairly cheap, look good, have different options for different orientations and apparently some of them even work. And I say apparently because I have over half a dozen LiHeat cables, from older, gray prototypes to newer ones (including the Lian-Li one, which I’m fairly certain it’s a LiHeat) and none of them work well. They are all over the place! from one that works only with low TDP cards, to another linking at just x8 on one motherboard and x1 on the rest, to the ones that do not work at all or just 1/10th of the time to, my favorite, the one that nearly toasted the PCIe slot on my Impact VI. Again, I’d love for them to work, but just the thought of putting, I don’t know, say 1000 cases out there with these cables seems to me more like a nightmare than a good idea.

C) I don’t have that Sintech one that michaelmitchell linked but I do have the ModDIY “premium” one that looks very, very similar (I’m pretty sure it’s the same, only longer). And I must say I was really surprised with this one. Yes, as iFreilicht said it looks pretty much like a cheap cable wrapped in foil and black fabric tape and the first thing I thought when I picked it up was “no way this one is going to work well” … but surprisingly it did; so far it’s been quite reliable, links at 3.0@x16 and the performance is basically within margin of error. Only one time while changing motherboards and cards I had to take it out and plug it in again because I had no signal (one minor issue in over 20 test runs). So yeah, either those cables are surprisingly good or (more probable, I think) I won the lottery with this unit.

Again, these are just comments and thoughts based upon my experience and I understand it may very well differ for other people. I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

hdplex

Caliper Novice
HDPLEX
Apr 17, 2016
www.hd-plex.com
Hi people, I know I’m new around here but I wanted to comment on this topic because the whole PCIe cable has been giving me a few headaches for the past 2 and a half years.

(Also, I apologize in advance for the long post, I tend to get a bit too verbose when I start typing…)

I have to say my experience with the HDPLEX cable has not been as positive as yours… I didn’t know about this cable until I read it in this thread so I went ahead and ordered one about a month and a half ago or so. Although it doesn’t matter much, I have to say it took unexpectedly long to arrive (considering the distance it had to travel it usually takes a few days for a package to arrive, not a few weeks…). But anyway, it arrived and due to work and other things I couldn’t test it till this past weekend. First things first, the cable itself looks well done, good quality and is super thin; at first glance everything seems great. But once I started testing it didn’t behave as I was expecting: it works, yes… but every single time it links at PCIe 3.0@x2. I haven’t been able to achieve a x16 link with this cable. Not a single time, and when I test these things I use 3 different motherboards and 5 graphic cards. I don’t know, maybe it’s just a faulty unit, I really wanted this cable to work, but seeing it running at what is basically PCIe 1.0@x8 sure was a disappointment, .

This certainly worth an investigation. I think you might have a faulty cable.
Please contact me at larry@hd-plex.com and I will send you a second cable for free and tested by me.

Reactions: Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

Considering that from the beginning I’ve been looking for cables with the intention of using it on a case that I’d like to manufacture and sell I’ve also bought and tested a few others over the past two years, so while I’m at it I’ll throw in a couple of comments:

A) I often see people comment on how the 3M is apparently “the best one out there”. Well, I have a 3M cable (it’s the first one I bought) and from my point of view is not “the best”, it’s THE ONLY ONE that really works as advertised. It works every time, all the time, at PCIe 3.0@x16 in every case without any issues. The performance and reliability are virtually identical to plugging the card directly to the motherboard. It’s server grade stuff and it shows (it also shows in the price, though). If I had to criticize something it’d be that the pcbs are green…

B) A lot of people seem to have the LiHeat cables in high regard, but in my case is more of a love-hate relationship. I want them to work properly, I really do: they are fairly cheap, look good, have different options for different orientations and apparently some of them even work. And I say apparently because I have over half a dozen LiHeat cables, from older, gray prototypes to newer ones (including the Lian-Li one, which I’m fairly certain it’s a LiHeat) and none of them work well. They are all over the place! from one that works only with low TDP cards, to another linking at just x8 on one motherboard and x1 on the rest, to the ones that do not work at all or just 1/10th of the time to, my favorite, the one that nearly toasted the PCIe slot on my Impact VI. Again, I’d love for them to work, but just the thought of putting, I don’t know, say 1000 cases out there with these cables seems to me more like a nightmare than a good idea.

C) I don’t have that Sintech one that michaelmitchell linked but I do have the ModDIY “premium” one that looks very, very similar (I’m pretty sure it’s the same, only longer). And I must say I was really surprised with this one. Yes, as iFreilicht said it looks pretty much like a cheap cable wrapped in foil and black fabric tape and the first thing I thought when I picked it up was “no way this one is going to work well” … but surprisingly it did; so far it’s been quite reliable, links at 3.0@x16 and the performance is basically within margin of error. Only one time while changing motherboards and cards I had to take it out and plug it in again because I had no signal (one minor issue in over 20 test runs). So yeah, either those cables are surprisingly good or (more probable, I think) I won the lottery with this unit.

Again, these are just comments and thoughts based upon my experience and I understand it may very well differ for other people. I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

Thank you for sharing this. My comments:

I think the HDPLEX riser you got has some manufacturing fault as Larry said. As a single cable, it should work without any problems.

A) I've also come to the conclusion that the 3M riser seems to be the safest route to go, but it's so damn expensive. I'm probably going to ask them whether an angled version is possible and what the MOQs would be for that, otherwise it's a no-go for me, as good as this thing works.

B) They really seem to be hit and miss, somewhat of a risk. I've personally had good experience with them, I think they actually manufacture the riser cable for @Josh | NFC's S4 Mini, maybe he can say whether he had any issues. What's interesting is that Lian-Li has actually chosen a different riser for their PC-Y6 case than the previous ones (which looks interestingly similar to the 3M one), maybe they've had issues as well. All I'd want for the LiHeat cables is to have a reliable method of testing them.

C) I mean the LiHeat cables are also just cheap ribbons wrapped in foil and black fabric tape, so maybe the one from Sintech is just of better quality, who knows.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I have bought so many riser ribbons over the past six years that I couldn't even put a number on them. Alot of them were hit or miss which led to us having to source them for Paladin. I am very happy with the cables for the S4. The first run was all benchmarked before shipping.

I have also used Li Heat for some mods I did and they benchmark very well--especially considering they are 10" of cable!

Maybe contact Adex or Amerirack and express your concerns and see what they can do for you.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I got them made for Paladin long before Li-Heat was a thing.

I'm not sure Li-Heat would actually have worked for those units anyways as their risers are much thicker and the Paladin required something really flexible.

Reactions: iFreilicht

Arthondar

Efficiency Noob
May 30, 2016
This certainly worth an investigation. I think you might have a faulty cable.
Please contact me at larry@hd-plex.com and I will send you a second cable for free and tested by me.

Thanks, much appreciated. I’ll try to contact you asap.

A) I've also come to the conclusion that the 3M riser seems to be the safest route to go, but it's so damn expensive. I'm probably going to ask them whether an angled version is possible and what the MOQs would be for that, otherwise it's a no-go for me, as good as this thing works.

I actually did contact them about 2 years ago asking about a possible angled version and custom length. The length obviously they said was no problem but I never actually got a response about the angle thing, although to be honest I’m pretty sure the problem was that 3M’s customer support here in Spain is… let’s say “not good at all”. I’m fairly sure anyone contacting them from any other country would have more luck. (Also after doing some testing I came to the conclusion that given the bend radius of the cable I didn't really "need" an angled version, so I ended up not caring that much about that)

B) They really seem to be hit and miss, somewhat of a risk. I've personally had good experience with them, I think they actually manufacture the riser cable for @Josh | NFC's S4 Mini, maybe he can say whether he had any issues. What's interesting is that Lian-Li has actually chosen a different riser for their PC-Y6 case than the previous ones (which looks interestingly similar to the 3M one), maybe they've had issues as well. All I'd want for the LiHeat cables is to have a reliable method of testing them.

Indeed, the new Lian Li cables look somewhat better (although apparently it’s very stiff). I think they're shipping it with the previous PC-Owhatever cases too, so yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the other one didn't give the best results.

Arthondar

Efficiency Noob
May 30, 2016
Ok, so quick follow up as I lost track of time and forgot to post it. A couple weeks ago I received another hdplex cable as Larry promised above and managed to run some tests when I finally found some free time. As I informed Larry over email this cable does indeed work perfectly fine, stable and working at PCIe 3.0@x16 every single time just as it should, confirming the (obvious) suspicions that the previous cable was a faulty one (he even has some ideas about what the problem might be and assures me they’re already working on it to make sure it doesn’t happen on the next version).

So that’s that for now. I wanted to post it because, as I told him over email, it was never my intention to speak badly of his or anyone’s product, just to bring up my experience and frustration as I see more and more of these products popping up and, personally, I think that “benchmark performance” per se it’s less important than overall reliability and consistency between samples.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
So would it be accurate to say this cable is too short to flip a card with the fans up a (PCI-E connector futherthest away from the mobo)? Unless the card was a LP card like the new 1050 Ti LP? i.e. like below

I really wish he'd make a longer one :/

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I really wish he'd make a longer one :/

He has, it's just not out yet. The new extender was 250mm long (versus 150mm on the existing one) last I talked to him.

It may be just a bit less flexible though because it will be 6 layers instead of 4 to address any potential stability issues

Reactions: Ceros_X