Part Flexible PCIe risers

ParadoxEd

What's an ITX?
May 22, 2017
Silly question : Does a powered riser totally bypass the motherboard, to draw current usually going through the PCI-E port by drawing current from an additional PCI-E 6 pins ?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Silly question : Does a powered riser totally bypass the motherboard, to draw current usually going through the PCI-E port by drawing current from an additional PCI-E 6 pins ?
Yes, but rather than draw from the card drawing from a PEG connector, a powered riser will usually have a SATA or Molex connector on the riser itself to provide bus power in place of the motherboard.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I seem to recall a lot of complaints about the thermal take riser, not sure if they addressed what the problems were. It is $70 USD though, so for a little more you could get the 3m riser which I have only seen praise for.

blackstar2e

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2017
I've just read the first and last 2 sites of this thread...
First time i heard of powered risers...
But i understood it like the higher end cards dont need a powered riser..

So does someone have a ranking of the risers..
Or did i just skip it in my lazyness?

Thanks

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
3M is like Apple: pricey, and it just works. Everything else YMMV, but some people have done amazing things with aluminum tape for ghetto shielding to get their cheaper riser to work adequately.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I RAISE THE DEAD ELDERS FOR ANSWERS oh uhh hrm ._.

Are there risers that are short at the teeth? I'm thinking to riser out the last slot, but the GPU would go in the way, and I'm not sure how many of them would bend that sharply and so close to the solder points ._.

fig.1

Reactions: Elerek and Kwirek

swift

What's an ITX?
Apr 12, 2018
I seem to recall a lot of complaints about the thermal take riser, not sure if they addressed what the problems were. It is $70 USD though, so for a little more you could get the 3m riser which I have only seen praise for.

These riser cables are said to be great quality http://www.amazon.com/dp/B079926NM5/?tag=theminutiae-20
They are heavily shielded and use Twinax cables like the 3M cables, but have a much more accessible price.
Extreme variant http://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9LB7GF/?tag=theminutiae-20

Reactions: BaK and Chrizz

riktanius

Caliper Novice
Feb 21, 2018
Reviving this dead thread... have there been any new products that happen to have better airflow from top to bottom? I was thinking something like a split cable design but one that had rounded cables would allow air to pass though much easier than the flat ribbon.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Do you guys know of other brands that make similar risers than the ADT R33UF-TU.
A cheaper version would be nice.

It's the one sold with the @dondan A4 I guess and it has reversed connectors, which avoids almost any bent on the riser with a sandwich layout:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Do you guys know of other brands that make similar risers than the ADT R33UF-TU.
A cheaper version would be nice.
HL might be an alternative to ADT. I do not know how much a R33UF-TU is and so I cannot say HL's is cheaper or not.
HL's own shop in JD:-

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Thanks a lot!
From ADT website, 185mm R33UF-TU is $24 without shipping (~$30 to Europe from what I see)

With your third link above, the 185mm HL002 is $18 without shipping. Out of stock right now unfortunately.

Just found it on ali for $24 + shipping $6. Not that much, should have looked there before asking...
The thin version is more expensive though: $65

1337harcha

Caliper Novice
Apr 9, 2019
Personally it is clear that these ADT branded risers are all fantastic. But what about configurations where the 16x cable is too big? Where can I buy a riser like in this video (one that uses flexible cables and a PCB with connectors)