Discussion First SFF build, not sure what cooler to get. Any ideas?

gakino

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 14, 2021
I have a Kevcase v1.2 which fits a Noctua L12S without bending. I've been having a hard time choosing between the L12S, Big Shuriken 3, Blackridge, or something else?
I'm willing to replace fans in the non Noctua coolers with Noctua Chromax fans as well.

What could give me the best performance and temps?

Any help is appreciated. I'm very nervous for my first build.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Do you have Ram already? If so, check the height. The L12S will perform the best, but limits the ram height.

The Shuriken 3 is not quite as good, but can be positioned for unlimited ram height (with certain motherboards). It also looks great IMO.

The Blackridge is for cases with less clearance. Bottom line, get the largest cooler that will fit with your parts. I know, it might seem odd that the best cooler among the 3 you listed has the fewest heat pipes.... but Noctua really know what they are doing.

Reactions: gakino

gakino

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 14, 2021
Do you have Ram already? If so, check the height. The L12S will perform the best, but limits the ram height.

The Shuriken 3 is not quite as good, but can be positioned for unlimited ram height (with certain motherboards). It also looks great IMO.

The Blackridge is for cases with less clearance. Bottom line, get the largest cooler that will fit with your parts. I know, it might seem odd that the best cooler among the 3 you listed has the fewest heat pipes.... but Noctua really know what they are doing.
Yes, I have Corsair Vengeance LPX sticks so i think they fit? I actually had the Big Shuriken 3 in there because I liked how it looked as well. I guess L12S is the best choice, wonder how much better it would be with more heat pipes. Would you recommned anything aside from the 3 I mentioned? I've hear of Thermalright stuff that are similarly sized to the L12S, etc.

Really appreciate it scatterforce!

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Yes, I have Corsair Vengeance LPX sticks so i think they fit? I actually had the Big Shuriken 3 in there because I liked how it looked as well. I guess L12S is the best choice, wonder how much better it would be with more heat pipes. Would you recommned anything aside from the 3 I mentioned? I've hear of Thermalright stuff that are similarly sized to the L12S, etc.

Really appreciate it scatterforce!
The LPX are great sticks for SFF and will work with the L12S with no problems. If you really like the Big Shurken, use it. It performs within 1-2 degrees of the Noctua, but it runs louder.

Thermalright does have some good options. For your case, the AXP-100 is good, but it's expensive and the fan may cause turbulence if it's too close to the side panel of the case. This cooler trades blows with the L12S, but isn't good enough to recommend over the Noctua IMO, especially considering the price.

gakino

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 14, 2021
Oh wow, that’s way more than the other two coolers. I think I’ll go with the L12S with a Chromax fan swap for best performance and aesthetics. I just hope I dont get any DOA parts haha. Thank you so much!

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018

Shuriken 3 performs almost the same as L12S. But as you said, better ram compatibility.