Discussion Advice for my first mini-itx build

xcloudx

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 7, 2021
Hello,
i'm about to build my first itx for my work as a software engineer. Usage will be for programming IDEs, virtual machines, database tools, etc. I dont' plan to game on this machine and i'll not overclock it.

This is the best config i could make right now, given the actual components availability:

CASE: raijintek ophion 7l
this is the smallest case i found available capable of having additional fans mounted, and that fits into my transport-bag

CASE FANS: 2x Noctua NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.Black.Swap,4-Pin (92x14 mm)
I plan to put two of these fans on top of the case

APU: Intel I7 11700

MAINBOARD:
ASUS ROG STRIX B560-I GAMING WIFI

CPU-COOLER: Noctua NH-L9x65
my first choice was the Noctua NH-L12S but it won't fit in the motherboard (as stated in the noctua site). The NH-L9x65 is the best i found to fit in the 7cm of the case.

Is there a better cooler that will fit both in the 7cm of the case and in the mainboard ? I've heard of the Alpenföhn black ridge but as the size is similar to the L12S i doubt that it would fit in the mainboard.

RAM: HyperX FURY Black HX432C16FB4K2/32 32GB Kit (2x16GB), 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM

POWER-SUPPLY: SilverStone SST-ST30SF v 2.0 - SFX Series, 300W 80 Plus Bronze PC Power Supply, Low Noise 92mm

HD: Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2

Please let me know if there is something wrong or that can be improved. Thanks

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Try looking at the Scythe Big Shuriken 3. It is very close to performance of the NH-L12S but has much better compatibility with it's asymmetric design.

It will perform better at lower noise levels than the L9x65.

xcloudx

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 7, 2021
It seems a good solution over the l9x65 but I've found only this user:

that uses the Shuriken 3 with the Asus ROG Strix B550-I. And it seems that it just fits over the IO panel. But i don't know if i'm so confident to be the first trying with the 560-I.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
There is always the option of rotating the Shuriken and having it overhang the RAM instead. You have options with that cooler that you don't have with the L12s.

Of course, the L9x65 is guaranteed to work on anything. Just know that even a non-K 11700 can run hot.

As for your PSU, I would suggest the 450 watt model.

This compares the 2 versions; the 450 watt has a much better noise profile than the 300 watt version. Your CPU on a good B560 board (like the one you have opted for) will pull around 140 watts. That's already in the rather noisy range for that 300 watt PSU.

A Corsair 450 Gold would be a lot better, but is going for about 120 vs 75 for the Silverstone 450.

Reactions: rfarmer

xcloudx

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 7, 2021
ok, i didn't even know that the less powered psu were more noisy. I think i've found the SilverStone SST-ST45SF-G v 2.0
and it's even modular, so cable managment inside the case will be a lot better. Thanks for the information.

For the Shuriken: if i could be sure that would fit i'd go for it but i'm a little nervous thinking that it'll be only a matter of millimeters...

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
For the Shuriken: if i could be sure that would fit i'd go for it but i'm a little nervous thinking that it'll be only a matter of millimeters...
Then go for the L9x65. It's a great cooler with worry-free installation.

Looking at your case again, with 70mm height clearance, the Noctua will sit 5mm from the side panel. That's ideal to avoid air turbulence. The Big Shuriken is 69mm in height, so depending on the manufacturing tolerances, it might get a bit noisy.

xcloudx

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 7, 2021
Yes, i think that's the better choice for me.

Two last things and i'm ready to go:

1) i plan to put two of these:

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a9x14-pwm-chromax-black-swap

On top of the case. The case gives the possibility to put a third 92mm on the bottom, taking fresh air from outside. Do you think that It would be useful to lower the cpu temp ? Shoud i take the third fan or only the top two ?

2) For the PSU, i've found a full modular Corsair SF450 80 Plus Gold 450 W at 95. You said it would be better than the silverstone so should i take it ?

Last edited:

jakejm79

Average Stuffer
Mar 22, 2021
Then go for the L9x65. It's a great cooler with worry-free installation.

Looking at your case again, with 70mm height clearance, the Noctua will sit 5mm from the side panel. That's ideal to avoid air turbulence. The Big Shuriken is 69mm in height, so depending on the manufacturing tolerances, it might get a bit noisy.
IME about 2mm of the BS3 height is in the screw heads and the rubber damper pads, the top of the fan itself is about 67mm.
It also fits on my Asus Z390 over the I/O VRM cover/heatsink, I think it will likely fit over all Asus I/O covers (at least of the large integrated VRM heatsink style).

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
1) I think using both fans as exhaust would be best; a third fan shouldn't be needed. You want air to move into the side of the case, then out the top.

2) Corsair makes great PSUs for SFF.

IME about 2mm of the BS3 height is in the screw heads and the rubber damper pads, the top of the fan itself is about 67mm.
That's good to know.

edit: you could use that bottom fan as a third exhaust. Assuming you don't install a PCIE card, then a total negative pressure set up would work well.

Last edited:

xcloudx

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 7, 2021
It also fits on my Asus Z390 over the I/O VRM cover/heatsink, I think it will likely fit over all Asus I/O covers (at least of the large integrated VRM heatsink style).
thanks for the info. However it's just a matter of millimeters, and as sometimes i travel with the pc, i prefer to have a litte more room inside to avoid contacts.

1) I think using both fans as exhaust would be best; a third fan shouldn't be needed. You want air to move into the side of the case, then out the top.

2) Corsair makes great PSUs for SFF.

That's good to know.

edit: you could use that bottom fan as a third exhaust. Assuming you don't install a PCIE card, then a total negative pressure set up would work well.
I've alreary pulled the trigger to order the components :) In went for the modular corsair 450 as PSU. Will wait and check the temps, if they'll be too hot i'll try to put a third fan on the bottom, it wont be a problem.

Components should arrive in about two weeks, i'll post some comment here after the assembly

Bushido7789

What's an ITX?
New User
May 27, 2021
Hi! The most important question is whether the 92 mm fans will fit at the top and bottom? The only review on newegg says that only 90 mm fans are suitable, 92 do not fit.

xcloudx

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 7, 2021
Strange as the case specifics are:

Top Fan: 2×9225mm [Option]
Bottom Fan: 1×9225mm [Option]

i have all the components and tomorrow will try the assembly, i'll let you know how it goes

Last edited:
Reactions: Bushido7789

xcloudx

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 7, 2021
ok, finished to assembly the pc with the help of a friend. Here are some pictures:

92mm fans fit perfectly on the top of the case. I dont' know how that comment on new egg said they wouldn't fit.

I'm pretty happy with the overall result, the only bad thing is with some stress test (es. prime 95 fft tests) i get 100 degrees on CPU. With other tests, as prime 95 blend, or intel burn test standard i never get over 90 degrees.

Now i'll try to do tests with the case opened, to check if the temps get better

However during normal use i never get past 70 degrees, so i think temps will not be a problem.