Favorite PSU form factor?

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
There's numerous PSU types to work with. As someone who uses an RX 460 most of them are viable options.

ATX,
SFX,
SFX-L,
TFX,
Flex-ATX,
Nano-ATX (those HDPlex internal brick things),
And Pico PSU like the HDPlex thing, but with external bricks

Those are just the models off the top of my head that can be purchased for consumer use. Did I miss any? What is your favorite?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I have been using ATX for years and have only recently ventured into SFF realm. SFX-L is my favourite with SFX being a very close second. SFX-L having a larger fan (thus less noise) is a strong attraction to me. But I am going to use a Corsair SF600 for my next build though.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Case first, then PSU
If that is indeed the underlying point, I agree. The case defines your size limits and a PSU is one of the largest volume components in the case.

On the other hand I prefer the SFX-L size because of the broad lineup. The current crop allows most popular configurations, while offering choice and flexibility, with a proper pricing and good performance.

Reactions: tinyitx

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
An external one that can be hidden away somewhere to make my PC smaller on my desk.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Any unit from SeaSonic or Mean Well. Those guys do a good job. Supermicro power supplies are kinda good as well. I personally like overkill power supply configurations (redundant 1200W setup as an example), but that's just me.

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
Anything that makes the least amount of noise, Currently that's an ATX, preferably 140mm in length.

External Bricks Don't Count

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
Flex to be contrarian. And because it's objectively the best when it comes to power per liter, even against SFX, DC & bricks, in the 300-600W range.