Favorite paint brands?

Shattucknick

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
I am doing a small project modding a small cooler master elite 130 and was wondering if there are any paint brands anyone would recommend. The case it primarily steel with some plastic. I would prefer to buy a nice brand over just picking a can of spray paint from the hardware store. Also I live in Florida so if that affects the choice at all. Let me know any suggestions. Perhaps when I get into the actual build I will start a thread for it but right now I am just planning and figuring cost.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Tamiya's acrylic stuff has worked well for me, even though it's intended for models. It's kind of expensive for what you get though and the color choices are fairly limited. Also their surface primers are impossible to remove without strong solvents and a lot of patience.

I hear Plasti-Dip is fairly popular, never used it though.

Reactions: ricochet

Shattucknick

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Tamiya's acrylic stuff has worked well for me, even though it's intended for models. It's kind of expensive for what you get though and the color choices are fairly limited. Also their surface primers are impossible to remove without strong solvents and a lot of patience.

I hear Plasti-Dip is fairly popular, never used it though.
Doesn't seem to overpriced as long as it is quality and as far as colors I am not going with anything crazy as I would not be able to find matching components. Looking at that site did make me wonder about airbrushing however. Would it be worth it for me to get into airbrushing for this (I already have a airbrush just haven't used it much). Would airbrushing give me a noticeably better product?

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
If you already have an airbrush and a (decent) compressor, it's really down to time and complexity. If you're pre-shading and doing small details it might be worthwhile. Most airbrushes I've used are not great with filling large surfaces with one color and require some care for an even coat.

Otherwise, if you have a large surface, the spray cans will be faster. Add as many coats as required to get the color you want. Just need to keep the nozzle clean and watch for dripping. I had some gunk that landed in a primer coat once. That was not fun to clean up.

Oh, one other thing, acrylic model paint is less durable than automotive or industrial paint. Just like acrylic windows, if you try hard enough you will scratch it. Something to consider if you were planning on using your machine as a LAN rig.

Shattucknick

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
So I am going to start a thread soon now that I have received my case. I guess I will likely be going with that brand PNP mentioned unless anyone else has any input. It will be a bit before I paint anyway.

Shattucknick

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
I ended up going with just some rust-olem matte white primer and paint. Using some primer before the paint (even though the paint is 2 in 1) seemed to make it come out real well. Only thing I forgot to get is some clear coat and I am sure I'll pay for it later.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I've only tried 3 brands for case modding- Rustoleum, Montana Gold and Liquitex. Montana Gold is best of the bunch for me. Nozzle hardly drips and can easily apply in tight, steady lines. Rustoleum is a close second, it was really more of a cost thing when I purchased this one. Liquitex is the worst one- all sorts of problems with the nozzle being leaky and making application inconsistent.

One of my friends is trying out airbrushing for his prop work so I might ask him if there are any products or brands he could recommend.

Reactions: ricochet

Shattucknick

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
I've only tried 3 brands for case modding- Rustoleum, Montana Gold and Liquitex. Montana Gold is best of the bunch for me. Nozzle hardly drips and can easily apply in tight, steady lines. Rustoleum is a close second, it was really more of a cost thing when I purchased this one. Liquitex is the worst one- all sorts of problems with the nozzle being leaky and making application inconsistent.

One of my friends is trying out airbrushing for his prop work so I might ask him if there are any products or brands he could recommend.
If I can make some space I would love to get into airbrushing. Would allow for some cool mods.