Advice CPU cooling for 5600x in a 4.7L case

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
Hello again, im looking to get a cooler for the 5600x, i have an issue with height, which i assume that will affect performance. in that 37mm space, i beleive im quite restricted, i was looking at the Noctua NH-L9a originally, but recent noticed a couple of others which i know nothing about.
There appears to be a couple of contenders,

- Thermaltake Engine 27,
- Noctua NH-L9a
- Z39 CPU cooler (few different brands)
- Thermalright AX90-X36
- ID Cooling IS-30 (not sure if the 30mm is the ultimate or just the rad).

As i've never worked in such a tiny case before, im not sure whats best to use, especially with a 5600x. I know 5800x runs quite hot under synth loads with a 280mm AIO and a neg PBO curve. Im not sure if anyone has used the Thermaltake Engine 27 before, it looks interesting lets say.

Any assistance would be awesome.

I also need to figure out the flex ATX for this build as im not sure about that yet either, still some more research required, especially when i pick up the 1650 super tomorrow on the cheap.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
The NH-L9a will perform the best, but we are talking by only 1 degree over the Thermalright or Z39 in most cases.
The Thermaltake Engine should only be used on Thin ITX boards, where you have even less space. It is not a very good performer.
The results I've seen from the ID Cooling IS-30 have been underwhelming.

The Z39 can be a better option over the Noctua depending on the vent pattern of your case. Any fan with pushed right up to the case will produce turbulence; the Z39 avoids this by placing the fan below the fins.

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
The NH-L9a will perform the best, but we are talking by only 1 degree over the Thermalright or Z39 in most cases.
The Thermaltake Engine should only be used on Thin ITX boards, where you have even less space. It is not a very good performer.
The results I've seen from the ID Cooling IS-30 have been underwhelming.

The Z39 can be a better option over the Noctua depending on the vent pattern of your case. Any fan with pushed right up to the case will produce turbulence; the Z39 avoids this by placing the fan below the fins.
ok, im using one of those tiny cases from Ali, and this one has the rectangular holes on the side, which should line up with the CPU fan. I guess it was an interesting discussion talking about the position of AIO's either sucking cool air into a case via the rad vs expelling it as quick as possible from the CPU itself. I'm assuming thats what these air coolers do.

I think if i was to go the Z39, id look to get it from the densium site as it is all black like the noctua. would have been nice to go that alpho one, but i need 10mm which i dont have. Also noticed online that i actually bought a 4.3L case, which may be smaller than i thought.