Fastest Intel CPU that will work in A4-SFX case with Noctua NH-L9i

hifitodd

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
Hello,

For my first SFF build, I would like to use a Dan Case A4-SFX and I'm going for simplicity, so I'm going to do something similar to what Dan lists in his Intel-Performance build here: https://geizhals.at/?cat=WL-678542

However, I'd like to use a faster CPU than the listed i5-8400.

I want to go with fully stock parts and no customization. What is the fastest Intel CPU that will work with the Noctua NH-L9i cooler?

An 8700? 8700K? 9700K?

Thanks so much, looking forward to my first build!

hifitodd

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
Thanks Dan! Does this work with both the MSI and Asus boards?

Is there really any point in going above the 8400 using the Noctua cooler and this BIOS setting?

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Fastest in what? Single thread or multithread? Do you need an iGPU? And finally, very importantly, are you sure your workload is CPU bound?

For multithread, I have little doubts the Skylake Xeon D CPUs are the ticket, the D-2163IT with 12/24 cores/ threads at 2.1 GHz - 3GHz at 75W is probably the fastest you can do. Yes, it's slightly above the recommended 65W of Noctua but that's what makes it best :) Attaching the Noctua, would be the a challenge, of course :/

Within more traditional CPUs , I would wait to see the 9900T benchmarks before buying the 9900K or KF, no doubt those are best as they are unlocked and you can XTU tweak them until they stable at whatever speed you can achieve.

Last edited:

Myzhi

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2018
Every if you setup "long power duration" to 95W in UEFI. This takes less then 1min.
I tried that since it was supposedly better for single / dual core boosting, With 9700K, Asus Z390 itx and 545LC, I set that to 95W and it was still hitting >100W sometimes. Temps are hitting >90C playing games. Instead, undervolting @ all cores 4.5GHz kept temps in 70-80C.

hifitodd

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
Myzhi, can you explain to a noob (me) what settings you changed specifically with the z390 to undervolt and keep tempts in 70-80C with the 9700K?

Are you using the Noctua cooler?

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
Because longterm is Not short term. It can Hit >100W, but just for a short time.
But undervolting is still a good way to keep your cpu under 80°C.

Myzhi

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2018
Myzhi, can you explain to a noob (me) what settings you changed specifically with the z390 to undervolt and keep tempts in 70-80C with the 9700K?

Are you using the Noctua cooler?
If I remember correctly, in bios, sync all cores to 45 => 4.5GHz and Adaptive voltage -0.25.

I am using Asetek 545LC 92mm all in one water cooler. The Noctua L9i is only 65W TPD which can not cool 95W TPD 9700K. It’s been almost a month after ordering, but I plan to try replacing with a custom Cryorig C7 Copper with Graphene air cooler and see if I can get better airflow while keeping similar temps.

hifitodd

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
I have to admit I'm a bit confused when you say the L9i can't cool 95W. Dan said above that any CPU will work with this cooler as long as I set the "long power duration" to 95W (or undervolt) right?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I have to admit I'm a bit confused when you say the L9i can't cool 95W. Dan said above that any CPU will work with this cooler as long as I set the "long power duration" to 95W (or undervolt) right?

Ran an 8700K with the L9i for a while. Setting PL2 = 95W stopped it from temperature throttling, with clock speeds hovering between 3.7GHz and 4.0GHz when running prime95 (AVX off).

So i agree with the advice given by @dondan

Temperatures were still in the 90s though, it wasn't until i de-lidded that they fell to 70-75C.

There was a post in the S4M-C thread that had some BIOS settings that brought my power draw and temperatures down, to the point where my 8700K would hold max 6 core turbo (4.3GHz) whilst staying within the 95W power limit (again running p95 no avx).

Edit = pictures are down :(
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/s4-mini-classic-s4m-c.96/page-209#post-68531

Edit2: Some settings you can change to lower power draw - the names apply to ASUS motherboards, but all Intel motherboards should have these settings in BIOS. AFAIK these are the settings that Ceski changed in that post linked above.

ASUS MultiCore Enhancement [Disabled]
Ring Down Bin [Enabled]
IA AC Load Line [0.01]
IA DC Load Line [0.01]

*CPU VCCIO Voltage [0.95000]
*CPU System Agent Voltage [1.05000]

*intel defaults and should work for memory speeds up to 3200MHz - depending on your CPU.
I would change the above and test separately to the other settings as too low a voltage here will result in BSODs.
Depending on what your motherboard sets the voltage at by default it may not be worth manually adjusting these values

Last edited:
Reactions: Revenant and Nanook

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015

If we are talk about normal load like gaming or rendering with "long power duration" = 95W you will have temps ~80°C. This is completely ok. For Prime95 it is a different storry. If you like to use Prime95 (torture test software) for just creating heat then you have to setup "long power duration" = 80W or lower.

Even a stock 65w Intel cpu like i7 8700 will not solve the problem, because nowadays motherboard let the CPU pull as much as they like, to hold max turbo on all cores. So a 65W Intel CPU will act like a 120-130W one. A 9900k does not act like a 95W cpu it acts like a 220W cpu. So it is not worth buying a K cpu if you not overclock because the none K is nearly as fast.

So why they print 95W on the carton? Because this is the default configuration of this CPU that will be used in OEMs like HP Dell so these products are preconfigured with long power duration = 95W. It means max turbo clock only on 1-2 cores for a short time (see intel specs site) and not max turbo on all cores.

So if you not use a AMD Ryzen 2600 or similar (real 65w cpus), that is more than enough and gives you also a crazy performance you have to setup "long power duration".

You will only get rid of this problem with cases that can take a 240 AIO or big heatsinks like the C14S.

Last edited:

hk805

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 25, 2019
One option is to use a short video card and use 120mm AIO, like Corsair H60, right next to it. I have 8700k overclocked at 5.0 ghz. Temps peak at mid to high 70s even under stress test.

hifitodd

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
Dan - Wow that was an extremely informative post, thank you!

I do prefer Intel CPUs, so I think I will do my build with an i7 8700 while also setting the "long power duration" to 95W.

I did see that the v4 of the case is in the works, I looked around the the web for a release date and didn't find one. Do we have a tentative release date for the v4?

Invictus91

Efficiency Noob
New User
Oct 7, 2019
Hi guys. I’m also planning my first add build. Im going to transfer my i5-6600k for the Dan A4. Do you think temps will be alright with the Noctua NH-L9i or should I delid ?