Power Supply Fanless/Pico PSU recommendations for Low TDP build (N100)

MoonLight4

Case Bender
New User
Sep 22, 2026
2
0
Hi everyone,

I'm building a silent home server based on the Intel N100. The only issue is the Flex ATX (200W) PSU, which has constant fan noise and coil whine.

I'm looking for a fanless/Pico PSU replacement. My requirements:

  • Total silence.
  • Low voltage ripple to ensure motherboard health.
  • Appropriate wattage for N100 (no overkill).
Options I've considered:

  • HDPlex: Too expensive for this build.
  • Mini-Box PicoPSU: Good, but total cost with shipping is too high.
  • RGeek / Streacom: Most accessible, but I'm concerned about power quality and lack of reliable tests for 24/7 use.
  • Pico-box ONE2 150P: Seems to be used in some SFF pre-builts and is affordable, but I can't find where to buy it (no "buy" button on their site).
I initially thought I could judge quality by components, but I found this article (https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/pico/index.htm) mentioning that even the Streacom Nano120 performed poorly despite decent components.

Am I missing any other reliable fanless options? Or are budget PicoPSUs actually acceptable for a low-load N100 system?

Would appreciate your insights!
 

hrh_ginsterbusch

SFF Guru
Nov 18, 2021
1,106
464
Germany
wp-devil.com
Hi everyone,

I'm building a silent home server based on the Intel N100. The only issue is the Flex ATX (200W) PSU, which has constant fan noise and coil whine.

I'm looking for a fanless/Pico PSU replacement. My requirements:

  • Total silence.
  • Low voltage ripple to ensure motherboard health.
  • Appropriate wattage for N100 (no overkill).
Options I've considered:

  • HDPlex: Too expensive for this build.
  • Mini-Box PicoPSU: Good, but total cost with shipping is too high.
  • RGeek / Streacom: Most accessible, but I'm concerned about power quality and lack of reliable tests for 24/7 use.
  • Pico-box ONE2 150P: Seems to be used in some SFF pre-builts and is affordable, but I can't find where to buy it (no "buy" button on their site).
I initially thought I could judge quality by components, but I found this article (https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/pico/index.htm) mentioning that even the Streacom Nano120 performed poorly despite decent components.

Am I missing any other reliable fanless options? Or are budget PicoPSUs actually acceptable for a low-load N100 system?

Would appreciate your insights!
Fifth option: Get sth like the FSP Flex 500W - with my initial test setup (270k + RTX 4070), it stayed well below noise floor. So, basically get a better PSU of the same variety with much higher wattage, so it stays silent in the low power stages.

cu, w0lf.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Arboreal

MoonLight4

Case Bender
New User
Sep 22, 2026
2
0
Fifth option: Get sth like the FSP Flex 500W - with my initial test setup (270k + RTX 4070), it stayed well below noise floor. So, basically get a better PSU of the same variety with much higher wattage, so it stays silent in the low power stages.

cu, w0lf.
Thanks for the suggestion.
That's not really an elegant solution. Efficiency drops at low loads, defeating the point of the N100. Moreover, high-wattage units often enter Burst Mode or DCM at such low loads, which can actually increase ripple and potentially lead to more coil whine.
Plus, it's massive overkill and would likely cost me more than the N100 build itself.
 

hrh_ginsterbusch

SFF Guru
Nov 18, 2021
1,106
464
Germany
wp-devil.com
Thanks for the suggestion.
That's not really an elegant solution. Efficiency drops at low loads, defeating the point of the N100. Moreover, high-wattage units often enter Burst Mode or DCM at such low loads, which can actually increase ripple and potentially lead to more coil whine.
Plus, it's massive overkill and would likely cost me more than the N100 build itself.
That really depends on the PSU, doesn't it?

Also, "massive" overkill is a relative POV. Going to massive lengths figuring out the most efficient PSU could also be seen as such.

IRL you can't get cheap + super-efficient + easy. you'll only get two out of three, sometimes even only one.

The most important information that is missing from this monologue: What markets are accessible to you? Eg. if you're in the US, some things might be easier, others much more complicated - esp. in terms of costs - to come by.

cu, w0lf.