Fanless Mini-ITX build

mike349

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 28, 2017
Hello!

I'm looking to build fanless Mini-ITX. I'm using my PC only for listening music, browsing web and editing RAW pictures sometimes. I'm demanding user and I really want to build a fanless solution, which is small, compact and will last few years. I don't want any videocard etc, Intel-s integrated HD is enough and no cooler!

At the moment my build is:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4670K Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) Haswell
CPU cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X RR-212X-20PM-R1
Mobo: ASUS Z97M-PLUS
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 4GB DDR3 PC3-14900 CL9 x2
PSU: Seasonic X-Series X-650 - 650 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified (SS-650KM3)
HDD: WD Red WD10EFRX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
SSD: Samsung 850 PRO SATA III 2,5" 256 GB SSD
Case: Fractal DEFINE Mini
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27"

I'm really satisfied with it and it will last even more, but my needs have changed. I have done some research what fanless/passive mini-ITX would be and this is what I got:

Case: Streacom FC8 Alpha Fanless
Case heatpipe: Streacom MH1 Mini Length
PSU: Nano120 Fanless
CPU: Intel Core i5-7600 3.50GHz LGA1151 BOX Kaby Lake
MOBO: ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance 16GB 3333MHz 2x288DIMM Unbuffered 1.35V XMP 2.0
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO SSD M.2 2280 250GB
SSD 2: Samsung 850 PRO SATA III 2,5" 256 GB SSD
HDD: WD 1TB RED

Contacted with Streacom and they approved that the parts will fit and it's solid.

I'm interesting that is there any other manufacturer with smaller fanless case than Streacom's FC8 Alpha ? I really like it, but still looking something more, maybe smaller ? No NUC :)

Sorry for my bad english :)

mike349

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 28, 2017
HDPlex looks nice, but can't find it anywhere from Europe. Ordering from outside Europe will be pretty expensive.

Streacom FC2 - Can't find it from manufacturer website :(

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
HDPlex looks nice, but can't find it anywhere from Europe. Ordering from outside Europe will be pretty expensive.

You can order the Hdplex directly from the hdplex website. It says it is in stock in Hamburg, Germany.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Cirrus7 cases :)

I just purchased this HFX case (240 x 250 x 85mm) brand new for 14 € :)

Lots on ressources on this French website :

http://www.fanlesstech.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: lordzahl

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Or if you want to go cheap, look up "i7 fanless mini pc" on Ali Express. This is an older version but they have i7 ULV Kaby Lake versions now.. something like this or I guess also on Amazon here

Last edited:

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016

You might have to order it from a Taobao agent. It is listed here.

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
If you look at the page to order it lists where the parts are held. US and Germany from memory, you can select European shipping.

Fully Silent PCs

Efficiency Noob
Aug 7, 2017
http://www.hd-plex.com/hdplex-h1.s-fanless-computer-case.html

Nice and small can specify the PSU from the same company. M.2 and 2.5" drive will fit but not the 1TB drive perhaps you could move this to a NAS or external caddy.

I would agree and recommend the HDPlex H1.S case. It does a better job than the Streacom case at dissipating heat. A 65W CPU will never reach it's maximum temperature, even if running Prime95 and FurMark simultaneously. Use a 35W CPU and you'll always have low temperatures even when stressed.

If you're after silence, I would also recommend not including a hard disk drive. When you remove fans from a case, the sound of a spinning disk will be even more audible then in the average system.

mike349

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 28, 2017
Let's discuss more. New thing is Mini-STX. There is few products, but is there any Mini-STX that is fanless ? Really like this compact setup, but I think that the CPU cooler makes insane noise...so I still prefer noiseless, fanless solution :)

It's enough for me with the integrated Intel HD video. If there is solution to cool down CPU without a cooler, I'm sold :)

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
1) STX is still very limited in selection and 2) not many here want to run without a discrete GPU. To go as small as possible will cost more than going pretty small (I'm thinking Antec ISK or similar) with mITX.

Fully Silent PCs

Efficiency Noob
Aug 7, 2017
Let's discuss more. New thing is Mini-STX. There is few products, but is there any Mini-STX that is fanless ? Really like this compact setup, but I think that the CPU cooler makes insane noise...so I still prefer noiseless, fanless solution :)

It's enough for me with the integrated Intel HD video. If there is solution to cool down CPU without a cooler, I'm sold :)

Akasa has just announced a mini STX version of their fanless Galileo case.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/2-7l-fanless-stx-case-from-akasa-galileo-st.3653/

I don't think the heatsink on the case would be adequate for a 65W processor, since the mini ITX version of the Galileo can barely cool a 35W processor properly. Also the heatsink makes the footprint of the case larger than it needs to be. Mini ITX might still be a better solution, unless the dimensions of this case are just right for your use.

Matt