Power Supply Failed Delta DPS-500AB-5B questions

chunger

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 3, 2021
Hi,

I just had an Ebay purchased Delta DPS-500AB-5B 500W platinum rated power supply fail pretty spectacularly. Upon opening it up, I discovered that the general build quality and general layout/materials did not match up with the previous Delta 400W gold rated unit I had used in a previous build. I wanted to see if anyone can let me know if this looks to be a genuine Delta PSU from internal photos. I was unable to find other interior shots of this model online. I generally see a much "denser" layout in real Delta PSU's with robust white plastic shrouds, but I'm not a PSU geek, so I thought I'd ask if anyone had thoughts.

This failure was awesome. . . with sparks, smoke, tripped breaker, an actual hole burned through the metal casing and everything. If this is a fake PSU, I'll go leave bad feedback on the Ebay seller. I'm pretty sure there's no hope of getting any money back on this.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Here is a pic showing the internal of DPS-500AB (5B or 5C , not sure of the difference).
Yours and that one look quite different.

Reactions: Phuncz

chunger

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 3, 2021
Thanks for posting! Your photo is much closer to what I would expect from a real Delta unit. I contacted the Ebay seller and will post negative feedback depending on what their response is to my query.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
that psu doesn´t even have a delta fan which is quite strange, and also those caps are not of any well known respectable brand.... I´m no expert, but it doesn´t look like a Delta unit at all.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Can't find any delta 500W flex PSU that looks remotely like that anywhere, most likely a fake. It also doesn't look dense enough to be a real 500W PSU.

Sooner or later someone is going to set their house on fire with these janky flex PSU's.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 12, 2020
My (Delta DPS-350AB-12 A 350W) 80 Plus Silver PSU has a Delta Fan. Also, the PSU components are so dense that it is difficult to see the main PCB/printed circuit board. Here's a thread-post-link to a picture of the Delta fan.

eta; I prefer to use my credit card chargeback rights to clawback the payment instead of using the selling platform arbitration. Just call your credit card company to open a dispute, or open a dispute online. It's much more effective for me!

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I was about to say, just looking at it says that it's not dense enough for 500W platinum rated even with no comparison photo to a real product.

Delta flexatx units have a big gray market for refurb, used, "new" due to a surge of decommissioned servers. They should've at least given you a low grade used unit. >.>

chunger

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 3, 2021
The seller refunded the purchase in full, so the situation is resolved. I should, however make sure to open each power supply to confirm that it is genuine. Thanks for all of the help!

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Or just stop buying janky Flex PSU's from random ebay(or other) sellers.

Seriously, its the easily the component that's most likely to cause damage to your components(or worse) when it fails, don't skimp on it.