GPU Are there any narrow GPU options in the 2000, 3000 series Nvidia and 5000, 6000's Radeons?

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
Are there any narrow GPU options in the 2000, 3000 series Nvidia and 5000, 6000's Radeons? I started going down the rabbit hole of considering modifying the A39 Case i have coming on a slow boat, which made me thinking of getting some laser cutting done and design up my own. I have a few idea's in my head but keep getting stuck on the smallest case i can use, but still having the MB, PSU and GPU being considered. The last thoughts i had last night was wondering if i could go a vertical GPU and do the 1U psu on one side and the MB\Cooler on the other still keeping around that 4/5l. but the more i look at the standard GPU's on offer, it looks like they are generally around that 120-130mm in width and coupled with the width of a of a 1U of that 80-85mm i'd be looking at a minimum required width of 220-230mm and probably looking at a similar height, pushing the volume out as the minimum depth would need to be around that 100mm.

So question being, has anyone come across any narrower cards that arent the 1650 or expensive workstation cards. Was hoping there were as i was trying to be budget friendly

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
To confirm, I think what your asking for is referred to as “half height” or “low profile” cards?

My understanding is 1650 or a2000 are your only options in the LP category. Typically LP cards just use the 75w from the pcie Lane, so getting something more powerful may be a struggle.

@REVOCCASES has seen and had his fair share of these type of cards, so maybe he knows something else?

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
If you are looking for low profile (half height) and 1-slot options there are only a few choices that would (IMO) make sense choosing over an APU build...
Most of them are hard to get and/or unreasonably expensive. If you don't have to build now I would probably wait and see what next gen APUs will bring or what INTEL comes up with in the 75W class.

Reactions: Goatee

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
If you are looking for low profile (half height) and 1-slot options there are only a few choices that would (IMO) make sense choosing over an APU build...
Most of them are hard to get and/or unreasonably expensive. If you don't have to build now I would probably wait and see what next gen APUs will bring or what INTEL comes up with in the 75W class.
Yes i was thinking about having the option for a half height\low profile card, but did notice that there are slim pickings in that regards. I just received my A39 case and it is tiny and dont know if my mate has the skills to to the laser cut combined base, rear, top panel with the lip etc. THis case is quite small at around 4.7L but looks like i could put a 170-175mm long GPU in there in its current config. If my mate thinks this is no problem, i might look at that vertical option, but at the moment it doesnt look that bad, so might just look at the sandwich setup

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
To confirm, I think what your asking for is referred to as “half height” or “low profile” cards?

My understanding is 1650 or a2000 are your only options in the LP category. Typically LP cards just use the 75w from the pcie Lane, so getting something more powerful may be a struggle.

@REVOCCASES has seen and had his fair share of these type of cards, so maybe he knows something else?
yes, maybe that new RX6400 would be ok, but on paper does it look like the 6500xt?
dont know how to upload a photo either :)

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
I managed to get locally a 1650 super Phoenix for cheap and barely used, so solved my issue with length of the card being under 178mm.