Log Experiments with a Thor Zone Mjolnir

PixelatedScraps

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
UPDATE: The scuff visible in the last image was removed as per Alex @ Thor-Zone's recommendation to using rubbing alcohol to remove it. It appears to be residue from a glue that was used in the finishing process.

After waiting what seemed an interminable amount of time for the Mjolnir to finish shipping out, the doorbell rang unexpectedly this morning to present a box in a hastily wrapped SF Express bag - I’m based in Hong Kong so this is courier du jour. Efficient, if a little brusque.

I only had time to take quick snaps of the exterior with my iPhone. There’s a busy weekend ahead so the earliest build log will begin on Monday at some point but below is a little teaser.

Components I’ll be testing inside will include the following:

AMD 5800x
Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-4000 c16
Galax 3090 SG
Corsair SF750
EKWB Coolstream SE 120mm / 240mm or XSPC Ultra Slim 240mm radiator
IceMan pump / res combo or EKWB Quantum 120

The last image above shows the only defect I could find on the outer shell. It's very slight but is noticeable in certain light.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions, feel free to ask away.

Apologies for the quality of the imagery, more to come in the next 1-2 days!

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
great to see the first Mjolnirs make it to the customers. very looking forward to your build log and experience with the case.

offering a few custom designed cases for the SFF community myself I would be interested to know how you feel about those small scratches / flaws on your case.

from my own experience with anodizing sub-contractors I know how difficult it is to get 100% flawless parts back and I keep wondering what would be still "borderline-acceptable" for the customers.

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
great to see the first Mjolnirs make it to the customers. very looking forward to your build log and experience with the case.

offering a few custom designed cases for the SFF community myself I would be interested to know how you feel about those small scratches / flaws on your case.

from my own experience with anodizing sub-contractors I know how difficult it is to get 100% flawless parts back and I keep wondering what would be still "borderline-acceptable" for the customers.

Heey, those marks are glue residue from the magnets located right below. I've talked to OP and he managed to remove them with rubbing alcohol :)

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
That's good to hear. Couldn't see it clearly from those pictures. :)

I can't blame you at all, without hindsight it certainly looks like scratches under those lighting conditions. We do quite a lot of alkohol wiping in the factory to avoid this, but sometimes a panel slips through and requires some slight wiping/finger nail scratching from the end user 🥲 I guess that still a lot better than real scratches though 😅

PixelatedScraps

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
And so the build continues. I finally dismantled my NR200 build (my first ITX and first ever water cooled attempt) and have the parts ready to go into this Mjolnir.

From bottom left working clockwise, we have:

1. Galax 3090 SG / EKWB Quantum Vector RE (reference) GPU block
  2. IceMan with Laing DDC pump, EKWB Z soft tubing and EK 10/16 compression + right angle fittings
  3. Corsair SF750 PSU
  4. Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro ITX with AMD Ryzen 7 5800x and EKWB Quantum Velocity CPU block
Please bear with me as I am literally building and typing (and dealing with the hassle of exporting / uploading to Imgur). I also apologise in advance for the terrible lighting, fingerprints and just general lack of a better workspace. This is all taking place in the off hours when there isn't a little toddler running around trying to stick their fingers into everything ;)

Keen eyes will notice the CPU and GPU blocks have already been mounted from the previous build!

Last edited:

PixelatedScraps

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
The chassis and panels are all very light and seemingly sturdy. The thin bars on the inner frame do flex quite a bit but seem strong enough. Make no mistake, these are some high quality panels. The true colour is a touch darker and less yellow than what is shown in the photos.

I wish I could build this in day time with some nice daylight but sadly that just isn't possible with a full time job and full time toddler on the weekends.

To remove the outer case, you need to unlock by using a thin coin. A tip here: use something plastic or else the paint will chip - it seems like it could flake or chip if you're not careful. I have the excellent iFixit toolkit with some plastic dart wings which come in handy more often than not.

PixelatedScraps

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
The riser cable is sadly still PCIe 3.0. Alex tells me they're still finalising locking down high quality, reliable 4.0 cables (who isn't!). I have a spare LinkUP PCIe 4.0 cable lying around from my previous NR200 build but it's maybe 4-5cm shorter than the one Thor-Zone provides.

PixelatedScraps

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
I feel my own personal aesthetic has progressed slightly from when I initially ordered the Mjolnir. It is a beautifully designed and constructed case though and a lot of thought has gone into it. While I might be leaning more towards something more understated, I do appreciate its beauty and can't wait to finish building it and get it up and running.

Top right is my iPad Air with Magic Keyboard. Quick tip: use an iPad or tablet to take the photo of the QR code on the box - it helps enormously to view instruction manuals (thanks EKWB lol). I almost can't go back to paper manuals now.

PixelatedScraps

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
Aaaaand the build is on hold until I can retrieve / find my hex kit from the studio. I’m missing an H2.0. Till the next update…

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
Interesting build, love the variety of hardware combinations you'll be testing and will continue following to see the results.

PixelatedScraps

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
UPDATE: This build will be using the ASRock A520M/ITX AC, a 5600x and a Sapphire Radeon 6900xt.

Apologies for the delay with updates, I still haven't managed to retrieve my hex kit from the office yet. More to come tomorrow hopefully - and for those hoping for a swap out second build using the A520 board or 6900XT, I'm afraid I'm being too ambitious with this idea in terms of time. I will be using a water cooled Galax 3090 SG in the Mjolnir though. My first post has been updated to reflect this change.

I have a Louqe Raw S1 on pre-order which should be arriving in a matter of weeks which the A520 and 6900XT will be going into.

Last edited:
Reactions: N9neBreak3r

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Are you part of the kickstarter backers? Could you post a photo of the "Shield of Founders" if you are?

hwangjohnny2003

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 10, 2021
您是kickstarter支持者的一部分嗎?如果您願意,可以張貼“創始人之盾”的照片嗎?
你好,瀏覽文章時剛好看見您的留言,手邊正好有一塊創始人之盾,提供給您參考〜

MOD EDIT:
"Hello, I just saw your message while browsing the article, and there happened to be a founder's shield on hand, for your reference~"