Log Experience with itx so far

spiral

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
Psu is a Corsair SF 600, brand new. I don't have Any spare itx parts, i can get a 1660s from ny sons pc, but that's about it.

catawalks

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2019
Psu is a Corsair SF 600, brand new. I don't have Any spare itx parts, i can get a 1660s from ny sons pc, but that's about it.

Looks like the SF600 does have OTP, but it's at 140C. I doubt you are getting to those temps in the PSU unless something is seriously wrong. If all you have to test with is the 1660S I would say go for it, at least it's a start. Swap cards between the systems and see if the shutdown follows the card or stays with your system. That would be one system off the list.

spiral

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
The 2070s is from my old M8 build, and has been running fine for a year, never getting over 55c.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
well you could start swapping parts with your son's build 1-by-1. don't need to be in the case, out of the box at first is okay

spiral

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
The psu was restocked at the supplier late june. I think they stopped selling the affected psu's as soon as Corsair came with the press release, because there were no units for sale for quite some time. But to answer your question the lot number starts with 2014.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
The psu was restocked at the supplier late june. I think they stopped selling the affected psu's as soon as Corsair came with the press release, because there were no units for sale for quite some time. But to answer your question the lot number starts with 2014.
yours is not in the affected batches (1944-2011). how's the swapping going along?

spiral

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
The 1660 super works fine, but it's also a 120w card vs a 220w. It's also physically smaller, so there is more room for the hot air to escape.

I'll just run it with no sidepanel while gaming for now, while i evaluate the options. I guess this is the classic buy cheap, buy twice. I was looking at the Sliger and Ncase cases, but the price and availiability put me off. I have 6 weeks offshore to rethink my life choices, if i want to get another sff case.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

spiral

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
Spent the day troubleshooting and benchmarking. While odd, it seems some games makes the pc crash/restart when ram in running on xmp/manual settings.
While on 2133 said games works fine, and it seems to be limited to ubisoft titles.

catawalks

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2019
I wonder if you have a RAM overheating issue? Can you swap RAM with your son's computer and test it out on XMP speeds?

spiral

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
Ram temps are reported at 50-55c, but yea i can. I currently use G.Skill Trident 3600 c16, the other is corsair 3200 c14. I haven't tried setting the memory configurations yet. I can loop Cinebench for hours with no issue, not sure how much that stresses the memory.

spiral

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
The Venegance LPX will not boot with xmp set. I guess i will have to tweak the Trident set, but i don't have time for that now due to heading out for work. Will update when i come home sometime in september.

spiral

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
So i'm an idiot. Teared down the machine when i came home from work this time, and it turns out i managed to set the exhaust fan to intake. wIn other news, i can't get the infinity fabric to run at 1800. Took some hours to tweak the 3600 kit, it's now running 3400 15-18-18-37 with the infinity set to 1700.