Ryzen 7 1700X Cougar QBX Build

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Stumbling my way into SFF, I present to you my latest ongoing build of Cougar QBX.

Here's my specification:
  • Ryzen 7 1700X stock
  • Asrock AB350-ITX Gaming Fatality
  • Noctua NH-D9L
  • 16GB RGB Corsair DDR4
  • Corsair SF600
  • Corsair MP500 256GB
  • Samsung EVO 750 500GB 2x
  • Toshiba 7400 RPM 2TB
  • Extra fans: generic 12 Cm 2x, Noctua NF-B9 1x
Building process:
The build is quite straightforward, typical SFF issues where you have to carefully drawn out the build plan or you have to go back and disassemble few things. One quirk is that the back panel motherboard cutout is too small, just barely clears the heatsink backplate. Not a problem per se, but the configuration blocks the M.2 slot on my motherboard, so I have to strip my custom heatsink MP500 to its bare chips and apply thermal pads, essentially making the whole case as its heatsink. It works wonderfully. On my Evolv ITX with plenty of clearance for my custom heatsink, MP500 idle is at 60 degrees C, on the QBX, only 52 degrees C... *laugh in metric*

Cooling performance:
For cooling my CPU, I use NH-D9L. I tried plopping my trusty Deepcool Captain 120 EX, but the tubing is too rigid, so I gave up. With my NH-D9L, idle temp is a bit higher at 37 degrees, compared to 34 degrees (measured at same condition) using the AIO. Gaming temp is higher as well, but still negligible at delta around 8 degrees. Fan configuration is one thing I love about the case. With two exhaust on the rear and above the case, airflow is generous at the most important part of the case. There's also another fan position above the PSU, but the weird PSU cable extension only allows for fan placement if the PSU power cable is situated near the front of the case. My Corsair SF600 orientation with the fan intake facing outside of the case has its power cable port at the center of the case, preventing me from mounting any fan.

Another quirk or benefit (or disadvantage for me) is the mesh side panels. In one hand, the case has better thermal performance than my Evolv ITX. However, dust accumulation is near tragic. It's only a few weeks and the HSF fins already starting to accumulate dust. I might have to look at 120 AIO with flexible tubing soon.

Cable management:
Cable management is standard fanfare for SFF, the 24 pin pose the hardest challenge since its thick and short for the SF series (built a PC before with SF450, same issue). There's plenty of space on top of the case if you so choose to use fan hub, RGB hub, whatever hub. Tried installing Corsair LL RGB fan, but the RGB function failed, need to return the fan for some checkup. The biggest issue is the side mounted storage. Since it's on the side bracket, trying to close the bracket can lead to astray cables. Not quite an issue, but annoying, knowing that the cables just dangles freely.

Noise:
Noise level is acceptable, although the fans are very audible. The loudest noise for the case fans comes from the top fan. I suspect the holes are not big enough and causes turbulence, or the generic fans I used are total crap. Still, on my DB meter, the total noise on my room with the PC about 40 Centimeters to my right, is about 35 DB of sound, library quiet, although I prefer 30 DB and below.

Wishlist:
As is, I'm satisfied with the build. However, I do want to add some spices to the case. Will need to check the Corsair LL 120 fan, why the RGB function failed.

Edit:

Finally made the Corsair RGB fan works.

Main duty is quite boring actually, as a three stage temperature indicator.

Last edited:

vinhom

Cable Smoosher
Dec 29, 2017
@Midiamp
Absolutely lovely build!

I have a question though, do you think I'd be able to fit a Nofan CR-80-EH (113mm height) inside this case without using the fan+hdd mount inside the case?
Cougar states this case can fit CPU coolers up to 105mm in height but you seem to be using a 110mm tall cooler (Noctua NH-D9L) AND a fan above it.

Thanks!

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
@Midiamp
Absolutely lovely build!

I have a question though, do you think I'd be able to fit a Nofan CR-80-EH (113mm height) inside this case without using the fan+hdd mount inside the case?
Cougar states this case can fit CPU coolers up to 105mm in height but you seem to be using a 110mm tall cooler (Noctua NH-D9L) AND a fan above it.

Thanks!
Thanks for the compliment.

For the HSF clearance, I always found compact case manufacturer gave some spare to their maximum HSF height limit. I found generous few millimeters of HSF clearance on my previous build (RVZ02), and also found generous clearance offset on the QBX.

My configuration left about 1-2 millimeter of clearance between the side fan and the top of the D9L. So yes, without the side fan, you could in theory fit the CR-80-EH. Do note the placement of the motherboard CPU socket though, if it's slightly offset to the front of the case, the CR-80 heatsink fin might intrude to the storage bay.

Reactions: vinhom

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Update April 2018.

Well, that's a bummer... I'm getting rid of the case...

I have been having this thermal issue inside the case. There's a heat build up from the front of the case, and I thought it was the 7200RPM HDD that causes it. I put a lot of fans inside the case to alleviate the heat build up, but with the increased in sound coming from the case. Just yesterday I removed all fans, installed Coolermaster 120 lite and removed the HDD, turns out the case still has thermal build up. Finally I opened my case's top and voila! No heat build up. Turns out the exhaust from the PSU is looped back inside the case.

Yes there's ventilation holes on top of the case, but the main holes on the top of the PSU slot are offset to the center while my PSU, SF600 exhaust is on the opposite end of the case. To reorient it properly, I have to turn the PSU intake to the inside of the case, which sucks warm air from the GPU heatsink.

No wonder my PSU fans are always working full speed, it got heat buildups from its own exhaust.

I will miss this case, but I don't think I can help with the heat build up and the final nail in the coffin is the tragic dust accumulation. I think it's given with the side panels basically a mesh. A great case for those living inside a circulated air, but for me who prefers fresh air (and live in dusty area), this case is a no go.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Update April 2018.

Well, that's a bummer... I'm getting rid of the case...

I have been having this thermal issue inside the case. There's a heat build up from the front of the case, and I thought it was the 7200RPM HDD that causes it. I put a lot of fans inside the case to alleviate the heat build up, but with the increased in sound coming from the case. Just yesterday I removed all fans, installed Coolermaster 120 lite and removed the HDD, turns out the case still has thermal build up. Finally I opened my case's top and voila! No heat build up. Turns out the exhaust from the PSU is looped back inside the case.

Yes there's ventilation holes on top of the case, but the main holes on the top of the PSU slot are offset to the center while my PSU, SF600 exhaust is on the opposite end of the case. To reorient it properly, I have to turn the PSU intake to the inside of the case, which sucks warm air from the GPU heatsink.

No wonder my PSU fans are always working full speed, it got heat buildups from its own exhaust.

I will miss this case, but I don't think I can help with the heat build up and the final nail in the coffin is the tragic dust accumulation. I think it's given with the side panels basically a mesh. A great case for those living inside a circulated air, but for me who prefers fresh air (and live in dusty area), this case is a no go.

That's really a bad design indeed.

But thinking positively, this means it's time to get a new case? :D

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
That's really a bad design indeed.

But thinking positively, this means it's time to get a new case? :D
Yup, thinking of getting Nano S or RVZ03. I don't like tower style ITX case, but with that sweet sound absorbing materials, I'm leaning towards the Nano S. Wished the QBX is enclosed, I really liked this case, almost zero wasted space... Where as there's plenty on tower style case.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I see.

If you really like QBX, i remember Lian Li PC-Q17 and PC-Q38 have similar layout.

I've built in Fractal Design Nano (non S) for a friend. Yeah that case is well designed. Very easy to build, clean cable management.

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
That's a shame. I got the Cougar case for my father-in-law's computer and it's been great. Surprising amount of room. But he's also just using an APU and not producing a lot of heat

apqlok

What's an ITX?
Aug 7, 2018
Hello, im ready to buy a QBX, have some question want to ask.

1. Single fan on D9L doesnt hit the LL120, but will Dual fan hit it?
(Because the second fan need to above the ram stick.

2. Can a 12mm or 15mm thick fan place above the PSU?

3. Any 8mm PWM fan do you recommend? (Except Noctua, over budget HAHA

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

Hmm if you don't need them to be slim, there are a few 80mm PWM fans from ARCTIC & BeQuiet. Try to google.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com

1. Single fan on D9L doesnt hit the LL120, but will Dual fan hit it?
(Because the second fan need to above the ram stick.

2. Can a 12mm or 15mm thick fan place above the PSU?

1. No. The clearance is good. You'd have more worries with the memory stick clearance than the LL120 clearance.
  2. 12mm can fit, 15 mm cannot. You can place 2x 12mm fan on the top, but you have to be careful on the PSU power cable orientation. On my SF600, the cable blocks the second fan if you orient the PSU intake outward. I can fit the second fan if I orient the intake of the PSU inward, and suck all that hot ambient air from the GPU.
  3. Noctua? Noctua. I bought deepcool 8mm fan and holy Jebus it's noisy. There's a ticking noise that gets worse when the RPM ramps up. You can just left the 8mm fan out though, the D9L is only slightly offset from the rear exhaust port, so the D9L can help exhaust heat out the case by its fans alone.