Power Supply Enchanse ENP 7660B and RTX 3090

NR200Hater

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 18, 2023
I've had a crazy idea for a long time to build a tiny pc with a 3090 turbo inside, and yesterday I got the power supply for this build - the original 7660B from China.

I saw mentions that it did not work for someone even with 3080 due to high peaks in power consumption. Well, I took a chance and connected it to 3090, because the fate of my build depended on it.

I first ran a stress test (hereinafter using Boundary Benchmark, 1440p, ultra setting) with an undervolt, where the average video card consumption was 292W, and the peak was 316W, while the processor was 40W on average. 20 minutes of testing - everything is fine. PCI-E power cables are barely warm.

Then I run test with stock setting, which gave my GPU to consume 347W on average and 357W at peak, also in the same time I run a stress test of the CPU, loading it up to 90W of consumption.
And even this worked perfectly - in this load I tested the power supply for 40 minutes. PCI-E power cables are warmer than before, but still far from dangerously hot.

But there was one detail that I noticed from the very beginning when I turned on the system without load - the power supply fan is very quiet, compared to the fake MF-700F (which I have before) it's just silence, the noise is lower than my 3090 Turbo cooler at 30%.
But the strangest thing was when I completed the test and the GPU/CPU fans stopped making noise - the power supply fan was still just as quiet with weak airflow. I checked its temperature with my hand - the top cover was very warm (not hot) but the bottom cover (closer to where the circuit board is) was very hot, I could only hold it in my hand for 4 seconds.
I checked the reviews of this power supply again - other buyers say that it is quiet. I think it makes no sense to change the fan to Noctua, on the contrary, I would like to make this one work faster. Or maybe I'll install Noctua and connect its power to the motherboard to control the revs.

Update:

So I installed NF-A4X20 FLX 12v and connected it to the hub. I set the switch on the hub to the "high" position and this solved the problem - the airflow became noticeably better, and the noise remained at the level of two 90mm Noctua fans set at 60% - which is quite comfortable for use. The bottom cover of the PSU at a load of 350+90W remained hot, but not scalding anymore.
At 290+40W load, the PSU stays noticeably warm, but not hot, which I think is a great result for further using.

Thus, this power supply is proven to be fine for powerefficient CPU (i5 12400-13400) and GPU with a power consumption of up to 300W (I would not risk using a 350W load for constant use) - 3080/3090 with undervolting, 4080 with undervolting, 4070Ti and below. Unfortunately, there are currently no 40 generation turbo GPU models.

Last edited: