Power Supply Enhance ENP-7660B Noctua V Stock Fan

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
A quick video, as promised, of the noise comparison between standard and Noctua cooled versions. This is just a no load test, but this will hold true up to around 480W loads.

Its worth also noting that the way we've worked this means with the Noctua fan we have a slightly higher CFM level compared to stock. win win, quieter and cooler V stock. As it should be right?

Anyway here's the short video, note one draw back is my buildings ventilation system means I don't have a silent background. 🙁

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Would be nice to actually have a temp probe in there.

Advertised CFM levels aren't really all that comparable since there's no standardized testing.

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Would be nice to actually have a temp probe in there.

Advertised CFM levels aren't really all that comparable since there's no standardized testing.
Small drop in external surface temperature by comparison under load.

But its hard enough to hear the PSU's with our background ventilation noise, let alone if you add some of our 1100W variable loads, as they soon end up screaming at full fan speed to dissipate the heat from acting as a load.

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
Seconded on the temperature probe suggestion.

I'd be interested to see a decibel meter reading of the two as well, both idle and at load. Appreciate the time and effort you've gone to to make the video; might just be my audio but it's a little difficult to make out?

Reactions: SFFMunkee

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Seconded on the temperature probe suggestion.

I'd be interested to see a decibel meter reading of the two as well, both idle and at load. Appreciate the time and effort you've gone to to make the video; might just be my audio but it's a little difficult to make out?
Hmm, what about maybe you buy it and try it? Then simply provide your independant feedback here to help the community, what could be less unbiased than that? If its to noisy for you etc, I will cover the return cost and provide a full refund. If your in the UK lozza, that would work very well. Could ship Thursday for delivery Friday if you're game for that.

Next job is to quieten down the 400W (ENP-7140) a fan voltage map that in stock form delivers plenty of audio at full load that would be easily heard above our ventilation in the background and our noisy loads at full chat

The 400W will be by way of a Sunon fan rather than Noctua as Noccy have nothing suitable in the foreground or background. Initial swap and load runs done earlier today. Not silent, but cetainly a lot quieter at typical and full load than the original.

In the mean time here's a boring unboxing video to waste 52 seconds of life, just for the Noctua fans fans.

You can only please some of the people most of the time and most of the people some of the time.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Hmm, what about maybe you buy it and try it? Then simply provide your independent feedback here to help the community, what could be less unbiased than that?

please provide an estimate of shipping costs, to the USA.

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
Hmm, what about maybe you buy it and try it? Then simply provide your independant feedback here to help the community, what could be less unbiased than that? If its to noisy for you etc, I will cover the return cost and provide a full refund. If your in the UK lozza, that would work very well. Could ship Thursday for delivery Friday if you're game for that.
Thanks Jon - if you send me those units I'd be happy to take sound and temperature readings and post results here for the benefit of the community. I'm interested in the possible merits of the Sunons compared to the Noctua as well. It wouldn't be fair for you to cover the postage cost both ways so happy to send them back at my expense. Let me know if that works for you.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
@Otamot I maybe will try and buy one of these ENP-7660b, but I am worried about coil whine. Have you noticed any obvious coil whine on the samples you have tried?

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Thanks Jon - if you send me those units I'd be happy to take sound and temperature readings and post results here for the benefit of the community. I'm interested in the possible merits of the Sunons compared to the Noctua as well. It wouldn't be fair for you to cover the postage cost both ways so happy to send them back at my expense. Let me know if that works for you.
very kind, but I'm looking at a sale or return basis. We don't ship stock unpaid. So unless you have a need for one and application, it wouldn't work for us.

That PSU in your link though, had to chuckle at their cheek of putting active PFC on the label and having 220Vac only sticker next to the IEC inlet. Passive PFC only.

Sunon or Noctua? I have no bias, seletion is based purely on what suits and works for the application. side by side on a like for like cfm level the noctua audio signature is simply cleaner and quieter. Imagine audio sine wave v saw wave. A limitation of this development, by their own admission to me, is that Noctua can't do high rpm fans. So however their bearing engineering works, like everything it has its strength and weakness.
Hell if you wanted to use the 600W in a server I'd be suggesting chucking in an ARX fan with ceramic bearing and shaft, running it at 12vdc regarless of load for the insane 500,000hr mtbf (although that's at 25 degreesC and below, still....) and max longevity.

Internal temperatures is always an interesting area. In short though the quieter you want it the higher the internal temps will be, but what is a temperature that's to high internally? One that's 70%/75%/80%/85% of of a given components max continous operating temperature? Or a nominal temperature that we might feel is to high based on human traits?

The greater the efficiency the better and that is the strength if the 600W. In stock form, Enhance have geared the 600W towards low noise with just 3Vdc output to the fan upto 480W. If you work it in systems with max loads of 500W you won't go wrong and with the Noctua fan it will be silent.

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
@Otamot I maybe will try and buy one of these ENP-7660b, but I am worried about coil whine. Have you noticed any obvious coil whine on the samples you have tried?
No coil noise noticed, can hear a little switching noise with Noctua fan, because the bloody Noctua is to damn quiet (silent), where as stock is detetable to the ear above what can be heard with Noctua fitted

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Our ENP-7660B std stock is now available from Amazon US and Amazon UK

As of this post, stock is still dribbling into Amazon US's system, just takes a while for them to distribute it out to different warehouses.

Excuse the terrible description on Amazon, not our doing and for now they aren't taking our change requests. Our images are being used though so its as pictured.

All stock has gone through a basic power on test to ensure it switches on and the fan controller is funtioning as expected. Noted a comment on Amazon US of a unit chucking out 53dBa. Probably ay 0cm away, but that is indicative of a failed fan controller. I think this often goes unnoticed on many production lines and occurs during the burnin stage after production. As Enhance, like FSP and any manufacturer worth their salt, run a 100% burnin test on all product. Have seen the same issue on FSP products a few times over the past 10+ years.

Reactions: prayogahs

Irish Os1r1s

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 28, 2019
I'm about to pull the trigger on this. Don't suppose you mark down the value to avoid been slaughtered with customs charges?

I'm in Ireland.

Edit: nevermind, already ordered.

Last edited:

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
I'm about to pull the trigger on this. Don't suppose you mark down the value to avoid been slaughtered with customs charges?

I'm in Ireland.

Edit: nevermind, already ordered.
Hi,

For reference we're IOSS. So what you pay at checkout for 1 unit is the final total that includes VAT at your local rate. For EU countries all VAT is paid at your local rate up from. PSU's attract no duty. This minimises customs delays and avoids you having to pa your countries fixed disbursement charge as well as the VAT if we were not IOSS.

Irish Os1r1s

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 28, 2019
@Otamot

Received already. Black, cables nice and short, great build quality. Looking forward to using it when I build in a couple of months. First time having a flex psu in my hand. Mighty impressive.

Many thanks.

Reactions: Phuncz

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Fantastic. The news just keeps getting better.
Great price for the psu BTW.
😁
Thanks, see you went through Amazon. All the big marketplaces, Amazon, Ebay etc were all forced to be IOSS from the 1st July. So whatever you order via thoose channels that is 150euro or less the vat due will be collected at point of sale by said marketplace

With ebay sellers that are VAT registered and have applied their VAT correctly, you will then be given a price that's with UK VAT taken off (-20%) and your EU countries VAT rate applied. For ebay sellers Non VAT registered, or not correctly setup vat registered. Then you will be offered a price by ebay of their selling price plus your local VAT on top.

iirc all items 150euro or below automatically attract no duty regardless of goods / tariff code for IOSS. Above that import duty applies.

Good news though for IT hardware is that it was largely globally agreed towards the end of the 90s for all IT hardware to be 0% rated for import duty. So its just VAT really that the EU decided to ensure it collected on all goods coming into the EU

There was a huge amount of piss taking by many sellers outside the EU, creating an un fair biased market and huge loss in tax revinue.

As a company Overtek is also setup as an IOSS, so from our website the same applies and VAT is charged and collected at point of sale for EU countries at their local rate.

Glad you got the unit already. Our stock is running low now on the 600W and all 400W units are now out of stock. Replenisments due during first half of March for both.

We do have some 200W Flex units that we'll do a bit of info on in due course and some 2000W Platinum monsters that are largely for mining (18 pci-e connectors on 16 awg cable) fully modular ATX. Not very SFF the 2kW units.

Ryvaeus

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 30, 2018
Our ENP-7660B std stock is now available from Amazon US and Amazon UK

As of this post, stock is still dribbling into Amazon US's system, just takes a while for them to distribute it out to different warehouses.

Excuse the terrible description on Amazon, not our doing and for now they aren't taking our change requests. Our images are being used though so its as pictured.
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this on the Amazon US store, but I'm concerned about those reviews saying they got the standard silver PSU instead of the custom black one with black cables. Also, the seller on the US store shows up as Circotech, not Overtek. Any advice?