Electric Wire End Stripper

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

I wonder if anyone here can point me towards a wire stripping machine that will cleanly take both the silicone insulation as well as nylon sleeving off of an 18 AWG wire. Thinking it would be really nice to be able to sleeve whole cables, chop to length and then cleanly strip them after so that everything lines up perfectly. I presume this is what professional sleevers like Cablemod and Beyond Customs do?

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016
I've got several manual strippers and auto strippers and honestly prefer the manual ones. I wire up electric devices as part of my job every day and have no problem cutting, stripping, crimping/terminating hundreds ( sometimes into the thousands depending on the job ) of wires a day.

Now, if I'm understanding you. You want to sleeve before cutting / stripping. That would be a bit of a chore. It's possible, but you would end up needing to do one of two things to ensure you don't loose your sleeving when you cut the wire to size. You'd either have to glue it, or use a hot knife / stripper that will melt the sleeving into place while you cut it. Then once again when you strip them. Quite frankly, I don't think it would be worth it.

Reactions: EdZ and Phuncz

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The basic idea is to have a spool of pre-sleeved cables bound together in an array. Depending on the length required, I would like to be able to cut it to length and the cleanly prep the end of each cable for crimping. What would be ideal would be something like a pencil sharpener that would leave a clean end on both the cable and sleeve.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
What would be ideal would be something like a pencil sharpener that would leave a clean end on both the cable and sleeve.

That sounds so freaking cool, and for regular wires, IT ACTUALLY EXISTS! I'm not sure how they implemented it, but I think sleeving would add an additional bit of complexity. Best to ask them if you can actually justify spending this much money on a machine for such a simple task.

Reactions: Phuncz

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That is exactly what I was looking for. My question would be if the mechanism that takes the insulation off would be able to cleanly peel the sleeving off of it as well. It would certainly make sense for high volume operation that this would be the case as sleeving each individual cable would be an insane amount of work while doing crimping only would be vastly more tolerable. Any idea if they use an automated crimper as well?

Edit: Can anyone tell if that is pre-sleeved cable they're processing there? I think it might be.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

jfwextreme1

What's an ITX?
Apr 12, 2017
Kmpkt, These guys mainly sell machines for recycling copper wire. www.copper-wire-stripper.com If you contact them directly they can also can get machines at whole sale pricing for wire process stripping which will do 18 GA no problem and also cut to length and strip both the nylon and silicone insulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceros_X and Kmpkt