DIY mITX Case made with Bio-composite Panels

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You need to offer this case for sale, very nicely done. Major props to you for making the switchable side IO, I wish other designers would realize that people like their cases on different sides. Interesting choice in building materials, looks like it works well. You do quality, meticulous work. Drilling those holes for the ventilation area must have been nerve wracking.

I can tell you now that people will accuse you of ripping off the design of the Ghost S1, but like Necere is fond of saying when people claim another Ncase rip off, there are only so many ways to arrange computer components.

Reactions: rosinbole

BooTec

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 8, 2018
Many thanks rfarmer. It's indeed though to come up with new designs for SFF cases and that's why I've tried to at least be innovative with the I/O and the choice of materials.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
This case will sell however when you consider it is totally hand-made, I'm not sure if you're willing to do this. I really really liked the side changing IO panel btw.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Great mod and beautiful video. I really enjoyed it.

Not everything has to be for production. I enjoy the freedom and fun of modding and scratch building one offs. I also don't think it counts as copying when it is just for your own fun, which is why I share my designs and 3D with people who want to build their own, much like you have done here.

Peace

Reactions: ColorZepppelin

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
I really like the flax panels. Any chance of getting a video on the entire vacuum setup/process? I've never done anything like it and would like to attempt it one day for a project.

Reactions: ColorZepppelin

BooTec

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 8, 2018
I've got a video with a focus on composite parts manufacturing planned on my channel. It most likely won't have anything to do with computers but I'll be showing the process in greater detail. Stay tuned for that.

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
WOW! I am very impressed with your project and video. Few people understand just how much is involved in a scratch build and your video reflects much of the process.

Do you have any idea of the number of hours that you expended on this project?

Thank you for posting.
Neil

BooTec

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 8, 2018
Thank you all for your inspiring comments and positive feedback. It's taken me roughly 60h of work over a two month period. The composite panels added quite some complexity.
For V2 of this case, I'll have to think about streamlining the process that I can build a few and give some away :)

Reactions: yawacool

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
one word... wow

From your choice of materials, workmanship (I can't believe thats all by hand!) and swappable IO.

I think the hrs you have put in would make this somewhat unaffordable for mass production but the passion & love has really comes through.

Nice one BooTec :)

Tjo2012

Trash Compacter
Feb 6, 2018
Hmmmm.

Seems the equipment for the appoxy saturated flax is expensive.

Op do you have any reccomendations for sturdy hand tool workable material for a DIY case.

Ive been looking into 2mm thick alluminum and handsaw/powerdrilling/peaning and making my chassy with thinner countersunk aluminum bars.

Part of the problem is i want to be cost effective with the diy solution, so i dont want to invest in alot of tooling or use a machine shop. Handsaws, handdrills and metal rated teeth on wood working saws is my current plan

Generally im looking at a somewhat s4m structured layout, with flex atx support and its intended to get beat up and be highly portable (which is why i prefer sturdy over light or workable).

I would like to avoid wood if possible but i can understand why is not terrible for my set of requirementa

Last edited:

BooTec

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 8, 2018
Many thanks for your nice words, nox. Reading all these comments is very rewarding :)

Tjo2012, I really like to work with wood when possible. The great thing about aluminium is that you can machine it with wood tools as long as they're hard metal. Beyond that, it gets difficult with only a basic set of tools. And yes, making composite parts also requires specific equipment.

Reactions: confusis

BooTec

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 8, 2018
I've just finished a video with some thermal and noise tests of my DIY case in comparison with my previous case, the Fractal Design Node 304.

Reactions: Weredawg and ondert

sp0iltbr4t

Cable Smoosher
Jul 22, 2018
it is very nicely done with great utilization of space. handmade case rocks, nothing beats the time and sweat that is being put into making something of your own.